PDA

View Full Version : Woodlore?

JEEP
26-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Just wondering; has anyone here attended a Woodlore course? How was it?

Aside from seeming, at least from my perspective, a tad expensive, the Fundamental and Intermediate bushcraft courses look quite interesting.

Mouldsy
04-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I knew a few guy's that have been on their course's and they said they were alright, I'm sure one of them might be along to correct me, I have done a few course's with Backwoods Survival in Scotland and can highly recommend them, word of warning though you will be worked hard on their course but what you come away with will make all worthwhile and very rewarding.

JEEP
05-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Thank you :)

Ashley Cawley
05-01-2011, 01:12 PM
As a young teenager I aspired to going on a Woodlore course, never had the money to though.

Pretty sure GreenPete (on here) has been on a Woodlore course years back, I believe it was going on one of their courses (and seeing Ray Mears knife that he was developing) that inspired him to come away and have a go at making his own knife cheaply.

He might post his thoughts here...

Celt_Ginger
05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I've been on a Woodlore course. Good course, good instructors, great settings, learned lots, but a bit expensive. Don't regret going on it though. Would I go on another one? Probably not as i know I can get as good a course for less money.

JEEP
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the input gentlemen, it is much appriciated.

nature nut
25-01-2011, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine attended a woodlore course/expedition in the south of France for £850 for a week. It was a canoeing expedition on open Canadian canoes with all travel and food paid for. He thought it was reasonable and picked up some good water edge skills.

greenpete
26-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Pretty sure GreenPete (on here) has been on a Woodlore course years back, I believe it was going on one of their courses (and seeing Ray Mears knife that he was developing) that inspired him to come away and have a go at making his own knife cheaply.

He might post his thoughts here...
Yes I did, but a long time ago.
My first course, a basic bush craft kinda course was in '95 and the second, cooking in the woods/bush was in '97. Both were good and Ray him self was a good teacher, though he lacked the patience I think he needed and his then (and now deceased partner) was quite unpleasant. I think by the second course the fame was getting into the deal.
I respect Ray very much, as for Woodlore these days I have no idea, but those prices are enough to stop a rhino!
And yes, it was Ray showing me his scandi grind knife and telling me how great they were and then telling me you couldn't buy them that made me go out and make my own!

Paul Webster
26-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The only courses they do that I'm quite interested in are the wilderness medic 1,2 &3. Anyone have any idea if they seem good value or if I can do courses like that elsewhere? Ideally something that's accredited by a recognised medical body...

Tony1948
26-01-2011, 07:28 PM
You forgot somthing pete, Uncle ray did'ant inspire most of the guys on this forum to make there own blades like you did,thanks again for the vids, and I'm still polishing my blades........atb..........TONY.

greenpete
26-01-2011, 08:41 PM
You forgot somthing pete, Uncle ray did'ant inspire most of the guys on this forum to make there own blades like you did,thanks again for the vids, and I'm still polishing my blades........atb..........TONY.
Thanks!
I remember when I had finished the video and wondered if I should release it, I was really scared of what people would think. I never thought it would be so popular!

Alba Albion
21-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Couldn't afford the Ray Mears courses so went on a couple of similar but cheeper ones. One basic weekend course was brill in Devon. One week long one in Wales was crap.
It advertised it's self a not a boot camp course but was run by 2 ex army. The first thing they told us was that to experience a real survival situation we will starve you for the first 3 to 4 days out of 7 to get a feel of what it's like. That's all well and good and I can now see what they were getting at but after paying £400 + for the week to be told you're not getting any food didn't meet our small group with a great response. I learnt a lot more from the first weekend course, all meals included, happyer attmosphere and £165.
You pay your money you make your choice. Reaserch first !

GlenM
24-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Just wondering; has anyone here attended a Woodlore course? How was it?

Aside from seeming, at least from my perspective, a tad expensive, the Fundamental and Intermediate bushcraft courses look quite interesting.

Do have access to any "Bushcraft" type courses in Denmark? I think most of us in the U.K are of the opinion nobody needs any training in Scandinavia.

Glen

JEEP
24-02-2011, 08:59 PM
I guess some basic bushcraft skills does come with growing up in Scandinavia, though maybe not as much in Southern Scandinavia as in the north.

The kind of courses you can find here in Denmark are mostly the classic "survival" courses - you know; the kind where you wear bandanas, play paintball, kill rabbits, etc.

If you wish to learn bushcraft in Denmark, the best way is to become a scout actually.