PDA

View Full Version : Air Rifle Hunting (non-FAC, as that's not fair!) - anyone up for a 'meet' 2011?

Fletching
26-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Following on from the thread about our rifles:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125-My-rifles

...and how we don't get to use them much, how about we plan a meet with permission somewhere with plenty of notice so we can do 'bushcrafty-type' things (that's Poshcrafty for you Martin, with the Roller campervan) and take care of someone's 'pest' problem (and stuff our bellies - I've got some great recipes!).

What do you think Ash / Martin / Skate / Paul / you?

... I think we can even include Fish and his >12lbs Catapults so he can show us up!

Answers on a postcard...

Steve

Martin
26-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea Steve. Don't forget, the Cornwall RV has an air rifle range this year, so that could be fun for a bit of healthy competition. Otherwise, any ideas for a venue??

Martin

Fletching
26-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Martin,

Definitely interested in any comp., just gotta wrap it around work (I'm an IT Program Manager so work non-stop 24-7/365!)

I'm keeping my eyes on the airgun blogs but, as you know, 'permissions' get filled rather quickly! It's probably better if we get an idea of how many people are interested and then use that info (even if we end-up paying a farmer with a bad 'pest' problem a tenner each for a weekend - you get the idea). Early days and any input welcome.

Steve

Aaron Rushton
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
hmmm.....i would have trouble convincing my dad to drive me outside of wales. also just incase everyone is intrested tround 3 of the ukhft EXTREME (it's like normal hunter field target, but EXTREME!!!) is in quarry in south wales on the 24th if anyone is intrested. all airguns are accepted (.22, .177, .20, spring, pcp, £40 budget airgun, £1,500 top end FT rifle, junior, oap) quarry is a seriously challenging HFT course and very good fun!
i have no permission at the moment apart from my garden (i have a very large garden) so it would be great if i could get out and do some proper living off the land!

paul standley
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi Steve, I haven't shot anything for 14 years except for a few clays on the range and a don't have an air rifle anymore but if someone is willing to lend me one for a weekend then I'm up for a bit of a competition provided we are doing it for the pot and I don't mind coming last either....!

I'm left handed so I'd need a non-handed or Left handed stock otherwise I'll be doubly handicapt...!

Paul.

Fletching
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I've got an operation planned for the 26th Jan so I'll not be able to make the Wales UKHFT (or anything else for about a month after that), but keep the ideas coming...

Cheers

Steve

Fletching
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Martin,

Going to try to get to the Cornwall RV this year, but it'll only be from the Sat onwards and I'll have to rush there from a Woodlore course in East Sussex. I'm itching to try out the XVI (which I still haven't collected yet!).

Steve

ANGOF
18-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Im hoping to go to Cornwall RV this year as im trying to get into leathercraft and i see that they are running some workshops. I take it the air rifle range will be bring your own gun ? ( could be fun as i`ll be going on my motorbike :))

Martin
18-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Im hoping to go to Cornwall RV this year as im trying to get into leathercraft and i see that they are running some workshops. I take it the air rifle range will be bring your own gun ? ( could be fun as i`ll be going on my motorbike :))

I think there will be rifles there for people to try out.

Martin

ANGOF
18-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Cool, i often strap the rifle to the bike but have never tried it with all my camping gear as well :p

Martin
19-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Just to bring this back on track a little. Chris Jones at Woodland Valley is happy for us to shoot on his land. Now, I've yet to see a rabbit there, although I'm assured they are there, but there are plenty of wood pigeons and it's a great spot for camping; hammocks, tents, tarps or whatever you fancy. It has been the traditional home of NaturalBushcraft meets for the last couple of years and is a great venue.

If you guys are up for it let me know and we will organise some sort of get together with a hunting theme. It's probably best to leave this to sometime in April so we get the weather and the early mornings and later evenings.

Martin

leon-1
19-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I'll have to wait on this until you have firm dates.

Aaron Rushton
19-01-2011, 04:15 PM
yeah i will need dates too. assuming my dad will let me go hunting with a load of grumpy old gun tooting men in the middle of nowhere :p

Skate
19-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I might be up for this and would probably take some beating at coming last :) Haven't shot in anger for many years so would be fun and as a bonus would get to meet some of you lads.
Paul - I'm one of the elite (left handed) as well so you could have a go with mine.

paul standley
19-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I might be up for this and would probably take some beating at coming last :) Haven't shot in anger for many years so would be fun and as a bonus would get to meet some of you lads.
Paul - I'm one of the elite (left handed) as well so you could have a go with mine.

Cheers Skate - Good to see there's at least one other lefty here...! - I'd love to have some shots with yours.

I'm definately up for it and April time suits me and It would be great to meet up with some of the guys on the forum. I might even have bought my own air gun by them but boy... haven't the prices gone up over the last few years...! - Was looking at the HWK77 recently which was always a good economical bit of kit 15 yrs ago when I was shooting but not so cheap now so we'll have to see. I'm going to look around for a 2nd hand set-up.

Paul.

ANGOF
21-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Im up for this :) and Paul the HW77 is still a top rifle in my book. In fact the HW97 that i own is just a 77 with a few minor upgrades

bigstan
21-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi guys, i am new on here but i have a place on a weekend in Feb. just like you are planning. Once you get a date sorted i will be interested and can bring a few air rifles if any one needs to borrow one. Heres a list: Air Arms TX200 .177/Air Arms S400 .22/Origanal Mod 45 ambi stock (1980 but mint and putting out 11.2 ft.lbs.)/BSA Supersport .22/BSA Lightening .22 and .177. So as you see i quite like my air rifles. (need a pretty big barn door to be effective tho!). Stan.

paul standley
22-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Hey Bigstan - we can see where all your pocket money went...! - As you've seen, i'm up for a lend for that weekend and Skate has offered to share a bit so a lend of one of yours as well would be spot on. Ambi stock preferable.

Paul.

Roadkillphil
25-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Hmmmm, I'm well up for a bit of this, I have a Fenman that isnt used enough.

fish
26-01-2011, 11:51 AM
well get down on that airgun range early before the meet and start baiting it with bread and corn,maybe even a pheasant feeder,then shoot the pidgions and the like that visit.

fish
26-01-2011, 11:52 AM
what about ferrets?

Paul Webster
26-01-2011, 06:59 PM
As fletch mentioned fish's catapults, what about an all catapult shoot. Would be something new for nearly everyone. Fish might end up providing bunnies for everyone but it would be fun. I'd definitely be interested in whatever though

jus_young
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Just caught up on this thread. Has something come of this one or have I missed the boat. I would certainly be interested in a meet if its still on.

wytchwood bushcraft
27-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure about camping on the land (will have to look into it) but have shooting permission for approx 1000 acres in 3 different farms here in wales theres rabbit deer woody pidg squirrel woodcock and deer (not that an air rifle is any good) but can look into it for you all if your interested

bigstan
28-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Any one come up with a date yet?. Still up for it and can bring air rifles as previous post plus a HW 97 in .22 and a Webley Eclipse in .22. Stan.

Fletching
29-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Any one come up with a date yet?. Still up for it and can bring air rifles as previous post plus a HW 97 in .22 and a Webley Eclipse in .22. Stan.

Hey Stan, I believe that there's going to be a range of sorts at the Cornwall RV. Though how I'm going to manage to bring my rifle along with full kit direct from a Woodlore course on my motorbike I don't know. Methinks there'll be more bungee cord than motorbike. :)