PDA

View Full Version : Foraging App

Kernowek Scouser
08-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I just saw this on another forum and thought it deserved a mention on here too.

The Forager's Apprentice

http://www.foragersapp.com/

There is nothing so rewarding as exploring the countryside and finding food growing wild that you can take home and use in your cooking. The Forager's Apprentice is a beginners guide to foraging, designed to inform and inspire you to make the most of nature's bounty whether you are on a family walk in the woods or by the sea.

Forager and chef, David Beazley shows you how to locate, identify and cook many common British wild foods from Elderflower to Crab. Once you have your fresh ingredients David uses his knowledge as a chef to help you create simple, delicious dishes that let the ingredients do the talking.

£1.99
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/foraging/id503891452

DISCLAIMER: I have a dumb mobile and have not tried this app myself, so I am not in a position to recommend it. Caveat emptor.

Ben Casey
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I cant do Apps either :D

AL...
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM
My Phone is what my daughter called Retro!!
Ye can go off kids PDQ!!!

Cheers
AL

paulthefish2009
08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
My phone is what my kids call crap.................. paul

Ashley Cawley
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
As some of you probably know; I don't carry a mobile but I do have an iPod Touch, I think it's really useful and like that it is not Internet connected when I'm away from the home or office.

It's great, I've got a ton of useful Apps on it covering a wide variety of birds, msuhrooms, trees, knots & more, it's like a load of books but smaller! Just the other day I was looking for an App for wild edibles however I couldn't find a good one, I'll check this one out.

Ashley Cawley
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
The reviews of this App seem to show it's designed really well however the range of actual edibles is quite limited. I've purchased the App but haven't had much time to play with it yet. It streams the video content to your device, so for my iPod Touch with no Internet in the woods it might not be much use to me as you can't stream/watch the (nicely filmed) videos.

The maps/locator also doesn't work on iPod Touches, you're meant to use it to keep track of all the wild-edibles you find but unfortunately it tries to use your current location (obviously looking to use the iPhone's GPS), you can't specify a location yourself manually.

The App description promises more wild-edibles to be added with future updates, it was last updated 5th March 2012. Initial impressions are; very well designed but I'm sceptical of how much it'll have to offer, but I've yet to check it out thoroughly to be honest.

Basha72
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
As Ashley says not many edibles in the range on the app, although it a fairly good starter for he price, it's possible later they may add more edibles to it ?

I have a few apps, wild food forager by taste the wild, pretty good pictures and not too much waffle

Forage a bit more advanced than above good pictures, a search filter and useful info

Useful plants, I think this one is from USA. But a lot of the plants or here as well

Rogers mushrooms, very good guide for the price good filters and pictures for those that dare lol

Tree Id another useful app on a fair few trees for those that need a few pointers, I use it for my kids to figure stuff out ! This was voted 1 of the top 10 apps by the BBC

The apps are Great when out and about for a quick check or just to pass some time plus you don't get a aching shoulder carrying all your books

Dave

Pryderi
09-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Will have to wait for the Android version :(