PDA

View Full Version : Bannock Recipes

Wrighty28
20-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Afternoon Gents/ Lass'

Back in March, Mark, Mac, Tony and myself had a great over nighter where Mark introduced us to Bannock for the first time! I say it now as strongly as i did when you cooked it March Mark, deeeeeelicious! But you also said pretty much anything could be chucked into it so here's my first attempt, and its come out lovely!

Mine consists of raisin's, cinnamon and honey. And a dab of nutella on the 'scones'.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/Wrighty28/bannock.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt!

How do you like your bannock?! Post up, i wanna try some more recommendations!

Humakt
20-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Ooo...I like the idea of cinnamon and honey. Think I'll give that a go next time.
Most people tend to make a sweet bannock, so have a go at something savoury - cheese (grated) and spring onions/ramsons is a good one.

Silverback
20-05-2012, 02:26 PM
This is my last one. Sweet bannock with sugar and milk powder. Filled with sultanas and raisins. Cooked over coals in the snow :)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3630&d=1327945911

Wrighty28
20-05-2012, 02:34 PM
very nice! im yet to cook it over a fire, just havnt had the time to get out again this year yet. i think im going to go for a savory one next though. chicken and leak maybe!

alvino78
21-05-2012, 04:54 PM
cheese and red onion works well with wild salad!

Realearner
21-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Ok I have not had a go yet, so what is the basic recipe or is there more than one basic?
Or more to the point what is your mixture?

alvino78
21-05-2012, 05:28 PM
http://www.quietjourney.com/recipes/
some good recepies here and not just for bannock!!!

AL...
21-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Real handy site alvino Thanks for sharing it

Cheers
AL

Realearner
21-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Love the site, so much to chose from :D

Wrighty28
21-05-2012, 08:46 PM

basic basic recipe.. so easy. i go by 3 hand fulls of strong white flour. a table spoon and half of baking soda. whatever you want to add to it, mix it all up so its nice and even, then slowly add water until it all clumps together, and very slowly flattens itself out. leave it for 10 mins and it would have expanded a bit, then heat up a pan, lots of butter in the pan (to get it golden as supposed to burnt lol) take pan off of heat source, spread mixture in pan until its about an inch thick. back on, 10 - 15 mins on a very low heat, turn it over and same time again, jobs a good'un. perfect bannock .

CanadianMike
21-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I just got back from a long weekend of camping on an island with friends, last week I made a dry mix of garlic bannock (flour, oatmeal, milk powder, salt, and garlic powder) to take with me, cooked it yesterday using my cast iron frying pan propped up to the camp fire using a forked stick, turned out great!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303406_10150903610864207_510619206_9497923_1792030 431_n.jpg

Wrighty28
21-05-2012, 08:58 PM
sort of garlic bread then! that would go down very well!

AL...
21-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Now Im hungry!!
Great pic Mike ... Wheres the rest of them ??? :D

Cheers
AL

Tony1948
21-05-2012, 10:15 PM
ILL be looking forwood to you makeing some of that at the next meet,I think Marks sorting something out for next month,hope to see you there Wrighty.

Hushwing
21-05-2012, 11:07 PM
CanadianMike;46716]I just got back from a long weekend of camping on an island with friends, last week I made a dry mix of garlic bannock (flour, oatmeal, milk powder, salt, and garlic powder) to take with me, cooked it yesterday using my cast iron frying pan propped up to the camp fire using a forked stick, turned out great!

Nice - a proper bannock with oats - none of this Selkirk bannock 'cake' nonsense!!;)

Have you tried cooking this on a girdle (no Ben Casey -this is not another dressing up in women's clothing discussion!) I mean a metal flat plate like this:

All the bannocks looking very good by the way!

Humakt
22-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Here's a rum and raisin bannock we made:

CanadianMike
22-05-2012, 11:44 AM
sort of garlic bread then! that would go down very well!

Now Im hungry!!
Great pic Mike ... Wheres the rest of them ??? :D

Cheers
AL

Yup, garlic bread, tasted awesome! And the friends were off fishing for a snack, I kept the fire going and had some dinner while making bannock.

Tony1948
22-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Its all looking good cant what to try some the next time I'm out,:campfire:

CanadianMike
22-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Here's the recipe I threw together:

4 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
100mL skim milk powder
6 teaspoons baking powder
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon salt

Oh ya, I used a zipper bag to mix in.

AL...
22-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Sounds great Mike
Im lookin forward to gettin out soon and tryin some of them .
Cant beat bannock and a beer while watchin the wildlife of the Deeside go about its day :)

Cheers
AL

Wrighty28
22-05-2012, 07:59 PM
ILL be looking forwood to you makeing some of that at the next meet,I think Marks sorting something out for next month,hope to see you there Wrighty.

Its all looking good cant what to try some the next time I'm out,:campfire:

DONE! i think i agreed with Mark that i'd do the edibles next time. he quite liked the sounds of my chicken and chorizo hot pot dish. although the rum and raisen bannock sounds VERY tempting for afters. yet the garlic bannock would go tasty with the hot pot... bannock over dose for sure...

just need to source a dutch oven....

fatsnacka
31-05-2012, 01:47 PM
hi guys

i was told to use 3 cups of self raising flour 1 cup of powdered milk as a base i have to say its very nice anyone have any other base mixes??

Wrighty28
31-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Try 3 cups of plain flour, 1 tablespoon of baking soda and some water :) try a comparison!

CanadianMike
31-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Self rising flour is jusst floour with baking powder in it already. It's for lazy people. :)

nat110732
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
try this to go with your campfire curry....bannock with cumin seed, garlic, turmuric and corriander(ground or fresh leaf..sup to you).....tis lush!!
Garlic to keep the bugs and creatures away, turmeric has many qualities, cumin is the business and corriander is just the icing on the bannock!
You can go really mad and add onion seed, mustard seed and chilli...really is up to personel taste and thats what its about eh, versatility and availability

cheers natT^

alvino78
09-06-2012, 08:30 PM
try this to go with your campfire curry....bannock with cumin seed, garlic, turmuric and corriander(ground or fresh leaf..sup to you).....tis lush!!
Garlic to keep the bugs and creatures away, turmeric has many qualities, cumin is the business and corriander is just the icing on the bannock!
You can go really mad and add onion seed, mustard seed and chilli...really is up to personel taste and thats what its about eh, versatility and availability

cheers natt^

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

rosseveritt
15-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Good site, thx for the link. :)

SimonB
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Just attempting my first ever bannock.

Using plain flour, baking powder, bit of salt, and added fruit muesli and cinnamon... Looks ok so far, but the proof will be the eating..

Fingers crossed!!

AdrianRose
01-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Just attempting my first ever bannock.

Using plain flour, baking powder, bit of salt, and added fruit muesli and cinnamon... Looks ok so far, but the proof will be the eating..

Fingers crossed!!

Sounds great. Let us know how it tastes. Some pictures would be great too.

Ade

blindgeekuk
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I'd never heard of bannock before this thread, but seeing the simple recipe you guys have shared, I decided to try it out on my kitchen stove with a view to trying it with my camping cook kit tomorrow. My first attempt was a huge hit, so I've just got to come up with a method of making it with my limited camping equipment .

blindgeekuk
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
If I used pre-mixed flour/baking powder/oatmeal in sandwich bags, added water to these, stirered (not sure the bags woud hold up to that abuse). And then cooked the bannock in my mess cans over a esbit stove, do you think it would work?

AdrianRose
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
If I used pre-mixed flour/baking powder/oatmeal in sandwich bags, added water to these, stirered (not sure the bags woud hold up to that abuse). And then cooked the bannock in my mess cans over a esbit stove, do you think it would work?

The mixing part is fine but just be careful with the heat level.

Too much direct heat and it will burn long before its cooked all the way through.

Ade

Wrighty28
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM

thats how i do it. pre mix everything in a big sandwich bag then just add water when im out and about. use a 26p baking tray from tesco and thats that.

SimonB
02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Sounds great. Let us know how it tastes. Some pictures would be great too.

Ade

Thanks Ade,

Turned out very nice indeed.. Bit heavy, but tastes lovely. Will try and get a photo up soon.

blindgeekuk
02-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Do you reckon a bain-marie type setup might reduce the direct heat? Cook the bannock in the smaller mess can, by placing it inside the large one surrounded by water?

SimonB
02-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Should work........... Just using the water to stop the bottom pan from burning, and use some heavy aluminium to cover the top tin with the mix in to keep it warm and to stop steam getting in and spoiling it....

AL...
02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
I dont know if there is a vid on here about bannock making but its worth checking to see.
If not Im sure some of the lads in here with a Video camera will make one on there next outing.

Cheers
AL

Humakt
02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I did a vid on foraging and making bannock. It can be found on my Youtube channel.

blindgeekuk
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
So, I got home from work, and took advantage of the fact the family was out, to try the bain-marie bannock...
I got a sandwich bag, used 3 handfuls of flour, a generous pinch of baking powder, a handful of rye (from nottinghams windmill visitor centre), and added some dried coriander leaves, anjwan seeds, chilli flakes, cumin seeds, crushed long peppercorns and crushed yellow mustard seed...
I mixed a cupful in my enamel mug, starting with about half full of the mix, and adding water then more mix until I had a full cup. At the same time, I had the esbit stove lit, and my larger mess tin on it with a small layer of water in. I put a small amount of butter in the smaller mess tin, and plopped that into the water, and it took a minute or so to melt.
I topped up the water when I spread the mix into the smaller tin - a full enamel cup works out as a nice half centimetre layer on the smaller mess tin.
Unfortunately this is where it all went wrong... The water acting as the bain-marie boiled too quickly, and spilt out onto the flames. I topped it up twice, before giving up, giving each side a few minutes on direct heat.
The bannock came out ok, very spicy with a nicely toasted/just about to burn coating, more than enough for one person to eat as a snack or with a main meal

SimonB
06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
That sounds gorgeous........... Drooling now !!

Proventurer
07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
I dont know if there is a vid on here about bannock making but its worth checking to see.
If not Im sure some of the lads in here with a Video camera will make one on there next outing.

Cheers
AL
I remember seeing Ray Meares cover that in one of his programmes, it could of been his canoe trip in Canada I'm not a hundred percent sure,
Bannock is so versatile, I'm going to try throwing in a hanfull of Biltong with some Sultanas or the like and see how it pans out!

Tigger004
21-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I tried a sweet bannock type food - SR flour, water, honey, Raisins and sugar - a bit like scone mixture, must be eaten warm (if you're too keen the raisins burn your mouth)

Now can't stop my daughter asking me to cook it at home too, I don't need a lot of persuading ...lol

KarlUpNorth
23-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I had a further adventure with my Wild Stoves, wood gas stove today, and made Bannock, it was a Pancetta and Mozzarella Bannock. I had tried the recipe at home yesterday, to see how it went, and it was successful, so I figured I would try it today whilst out and about.

I started by using the Trangia burner, in my stove to boil some water and then set it to the side to cool a bit. I wanted to try the Trangia as I hadn't done so up until this time.

I then attempted to use the compressed wood pellet cat litter, I had pre loaded a small paper bag with some, thinking that I could use the paper bag to light the pellets, but that didn't seem to work. It was only later I realised the bottom of the paper bag hadn't burned, and was blocking the air intake holes in the bottom of the stove. Next time I will just pour the pellets in by themselves and use tinder paper to light them.

So, eventually I just used some of the twigs and stuff I still had from my last trip. To me it seemed that the twigs took a while to flame up properly and stop smoking, and then they seemed to die down quickly to embers. I am sure the wood pellets would work better but only time will tell.

Onto the Bannock, I dropped a big nob of Lurpack garlic butter in my pan, and fried the pancetta until it was crispy, whilst doing this I added the warm water to my pre mix of 1 cup of plain flour and 1 tea spoon of baking powder which were in a zip lock bag, and smooshed it all around until it was nice and sticky, I added a handful of shredded mozzarella and then the pancetta once it was cooked, another smoosh and it all came together in a nice big ball in the bag. I rolled it out into my pan, and flattened it out with my spork, popped the lid onto the pan, and left it for a while, then turned it over and continued to cook it until I figured it was done. Well I hoped it was done, I'd had to reload the stove with more twigs when I turned it. I reheated the water, and made my coffee, sat down and enjoyed it. It did look a little raw in the middle, but was actually okay and tasted fine.

The pan I am using there is a Banks Fry-Bake expedition model, they do a smaller one, around 2 1/2 inches smaller. Although I was worried that the larger model would be a little unsteady on my stove, it worked fine and seemed quite solid. The only problem ordering is I got hit for around £19 import duty when it arrived. It can be used as a fry pan, and you can place embers on the lid, kinda like a dutch oven.

Anyway, real nice savoury bannock, and a nice breakfast all rolled into one!

Karl

P.S. Banks Fry-Bake (http://frybake.com/)

P.P.S. Making the bannock mix in a large zip lock bag, is far easier than doing it in a bowl, I shall probably use this method when I make it at home now, as once the bannock is in the pan, the bag goes in the bin, no mess, no fuss!