PDA

View Full Version : All Natural Bow drill fire lighting

MikeWilkinson
24-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys found this today, not particularly exciting narration, but a Challenge for all the bow drill guys out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmipIIBpzMk

So the Challenge is, can you make a fire using only all natural materials. The challenge must be completed all in one go/day.
To make it a little easier on those who don't have any decent access to good flint (i.e. up in my neck of the woods where it is all grit stone) you can use a knife, however, if you do manage it go back and try again with a natural cutting tool.

Report you efforts on here.

Marvell
24-05-2012, 10:38 AM
From a survival perspective, I love this. It represents the purest form of fire lighting as far as I'm concerned. I also enjoyed this chap doing scratch materials for hand drill.

http://youtu.be/bHPwkuH3tXg

Hushwing
24-05-2012, 08:53 PM
So the Challenge is, can you make a fire using only all natural materials.

Great challenge, good vids - am up for it (if you don't mind waiting between 1 day and 2 years! ;-) )

Just to make clear the challenge is "all natural materials" NOT (please god note this) NOT au naturel - that's one report I don't want to see!!!

aman
24-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for both of those videos This is something I would like to achieve this year

AL...
26-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Fantastic vids Realy like the second one . I never knew you could use Burdock (Spelling sucks I know)
Always thought it would be to soft to use as a drill
Live and learn :D

Cheers
AL

MikeWilkinson
29-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Managed to put together an all natural kit last night, Willow bark for the cordage, hazel spindle, birch fireboard and limpets for the socket. Managed to get a good pile of powder and plenty of smoke before the cord snapped, but alas could not maintain the ember. Will try again tonight with a lime board this time and might try to plait the willow rather than reverse wrap. Will try and get pictures too.

AdrianRose
29-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi Mike
Hope that you're well buddy.

Definitely post some pictures up when you can mate, I'd love to see this all come together.

ATB

Ade

Managed to put together an all natural kit last night, Willow bark for the cordage, hazel spindle, birch fireboard and limpets for the socket. Managed to get a good pile of powder and plenty of smoke before the cord snapped, but alas could not maintain the ember. Will try again tonight with a lime board this time and might try to plait the willow rather than reverse wrap. Will try and get pictures too.

Roadkillphil
29-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi Mike
Hope that you're well buddy.

Definitely post some pictures up when you can mate, I'd love to see this all come together.

ATB

Ade

Ditto! Lookin forward to seeing the results :D I'm still halfway through making my not quite so natural set to get more practice first. Then I think I'd like to try this.
Thanks once more guys for inspiration :)

Cheers

Phil

MikeWilkinson
30-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Had another try this evening. Used the Egyptian wrap to help preserve the cordage, again managed smoke, thought I had an ember, but after about 10 secs it ceased to smoke! Cord snapped on the third attempt, think I was bowing a bit too furiously.
Will try again on the weekend. Thicker cord this time. The Egyptian wrap helped though, ensured the spindle span and took a lot of wear away from the cord as you don't need as much pressure on it.

I also think processed willow cord might work a little better too. But then this about doing it all in one go with green cordage.

Will post pics from the next attempt as I'll have someone to take photos.

Mike

Fellows
09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Great efforts Mike, i was set a similar challenge with my bowdrill set last time me n my buddy went out. Took a while, but got there in the end.

Ashamed to say it but the guy could have used the lace from his shoe as chordage, got it going, re-laced his boot by the fire whilst making a tea, then kept a hotrock or two in a horseshoe fungus in his bag for later........or is that cheating?

I've made chordage inthe past and i am assured by a friend that soaked nettle chordage is strong and supple. Can't vouch for it myself though :confused:

luresalive
09-04-2013, 01:28 PM
It's a difficult challenge, I've only ever managed it once but I also used natural hand made cordage from flax, it took me 24 attempts over 5 hours, to be honest I was so knackered I didn't get that much of a thrill out of it, I'd still rather use flint steel and amadou any day.

basicbushcraft
23-04-2013, 12:12 PM
hi guys ive just been reading up on this difficult challenge
im going to see how i get on this weekend as im out for a few nights i will let you know if i can get it started