PDA

View Full Version : Fire prevention

FishyFolk
28-05-2012, 07:33 PM
In the south of Norway there is now a huge are of several square km burning, mainly grass and heather land. This after someone had an accident with their brew-up fire... :campfire:

I tend to only make fires in existing fire places, mainly if there is a stone ring built, thats where i put my fire, and I always make them right on the bank of a lake, stream, river etc. I can often litterally kick the fire right into the water if I need to. But if it's dry enough a spark from the fire can fly off and start a fire, so then no fire at all...out comes the meths burner or my Go-systems flexi-fuel. If i am car camping I bring a small barrel BBQ i have.

I have seen on some bushcraft videos that people don't want to leave a trace. So they douse out the fire, mix the ashes thorughly with water and spread them. I don't know if I would do that.
I would be serious doubt if the last emvber is really out. So douse the fire really good, mix the leftovers in and leave them there (since it's an existing fire place (stone ring). Chunks of remaining wood I throw in t he lake, or at least dip them in...that way I don't leave anything that may flame up. An ember or two may remain, but there is nothing there it can ignite.

So what do you do to prevent that your fires spread or start again after you leave?

Roadkillphil
28-05-2012, 08:20 PM
So what do you do to prevent that your fires spread or start again after you leave?

Small fires. I never rush tidying it up. I like to let my fires burn to fine ash, small fires and small fuel are great for this. Also, use this fuel sparingly... is there any need to load it up with lots of massive logs? Manage the fire well, if something's sat out on the edge not burning, push it right in before loading more fuel on. I always use excessive amounts of water to make doubly sure the ash is extinguished and by this point its a browny black mush. If I'm on my own a mostly use my honeystove... This burns ultra hot and leaves nothing but ash. I'm a firm believer in leave no trace and not rushing anything while out and about and tidying away my fire is a job worth taking some time over.

Cheers

Phil

FishyFolk
28-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Here in Norway jsut about every lake has at least one, of not several sites where people have camped, all with a stone circle fire place. So generally there is no need to make a fire in a new place. So in that regard leave no trace is moot. This is true even for the remotest places. Someones always been there before. So I take advantage of that. The problem is that such places are often stripped clean of any dead wood if too popular.

Anyway, not a week ago I found such a place with a burning fire. I met the people that had been using it on the trail there. They had just left it like that.

Roadkillphil
28-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Here in Norway jsut about every lake has at least one, of not several sites where people have camped, all with a stone circle fire place. So generally there is no need to make a fire in a new place. So in that regard leave no trace is moot. This is true even for the remotest places. Someones always been there before. So I take advantage of that. The problem is that such places are often stripped clean of any dead wood if too popular.

Anyway, not a week ago I found such a place with a burning fire. I met the people that had been using it on the trail there. They had just left it like that.

See your point with the fireplace thing. Where I tend to camp, is way off the beaten track with no signs of folk, so that's why I clear up the way I do.

Those Crazy fools eh, leaving it goin and walkin away :confused:

FishyFolk
28-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Even way off the beaten track you find those places here. It may be 10 years since the last time it was used, and overgrown with moss, but the stone circle is there, so thats where I make my fire. The place may have been used for millennia...

They are so common that I get a bit peeved when someone makes a fire in a "new" spot...lol

Silverback
28-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm with Phil on this. I only make small fires, and at times of high fire risk i usually stick to gas. I generally find somewhere to camp next to water too if I'm planning an open fire. We have massive moorland fires in our area and generally it is found that the cause has been discarded rubbish, cigarettes or worse still deliberate !! The peat burns for days, even weeks on end so sometimes its better not to risk it.

FishyFolk
28-05-2012, 11:00 PM
The dude who started the massive fire in the south was using some kind of Primus type stove, not a wood fire.

It's generally small fires here as well. Mainly because I am too lazy to gather wood for a big fire. When my brew or food is done, I let it burn out or douse it out.

Silverback
28-05-2012, 11:04 PM
The dude who started the massive fire in the south was using some kind of Primus type stove, not a wood fire.

By 'gas' I meant cannister gas butane/propane, I will use meths too.

It's generally small fires here as well. Mainly because I am too lazy to gather wood for a big fire. When my brew or food is done, I let it burn out or douse it out.

Likewise, the only time I will go to bed and leave a fire is in the autumn/winter or when its wet, this time of year it always gets put out