PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good jacket for sitting near campfire

comanighttrain
05-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Can anyone recommend a good jacket for sitting near the fire? got a few new "ventilation" holes on my synthetic jacket... doh!

Preferable cheap and camo so i can use it for paintball...

Ben Casey
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Combat jacket mate :)

cuppa joe
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
http://www.shipmans.com/Protective_Clothing.html

FishyFolk
05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I have walked trough a petrol fire wearing this one...Well I was also wearing body armour, shield and wielding a baton, while our friends from the Engineer co where hosing down the crowd in front of us....

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1344

Don't forget to get the berret...:happy-clapping:

Seriously, army gear is good for this. The Norwegian jacket is quite fire ressistant from my own experience...

comanighttrain
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
thanks guys, haha Joe!

Was hoping for one with a hood..... just realised that combat jackets probably lack one due to helmet!

Silverback
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Swedish army snow smock you can find one on ebay just search for one. You may have to dye it though. I have one dyed it green added green buttons and proofed it with fabsil

FishyFolk
05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
The norwegian one comes with a button on hood. Soldiers like to stay warm too, and when wearing a gas mask the hood is part of the protection.

Thumbcrusher
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I got one of these (Austrian M65 gore-tex jacket) from this company some time ago and its great. very warm and waterproof and sparks dont seem to bother it as the gore-tex membrane is underneath the outer shell.

http://www.xasuk.co.uk/

AdrianRose
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been using a Buffalo Special 6 by the side of campfires for the last 10 years and I've never had a single singe on it.

It's amazingly warm in winter, I've worn it at -19c with nothing more than chest hair underneath and I've been toasty.

Ade.

Silverback
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
thanks guys, haha Joe!

Was hoping for one with a hood..... just realised that combat jackets probably lack one due to helmet!

CS95 stuff comes with a hood, some of the milcom and webtex cotton copies arent bad either, so cheap that you wont cry if it gets wrecked

Silverback
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I've been using a Buffalo Special 6 by the side of campfires for the last 10 years and I've never had a single singe on it.

It's amazingly warm in winter, I've worn it at -19c with nothing more than chest hair underneath and I've been toasty.

Ade.

Had a special 6 when in the mob good kit, incidentally its the same fibre pile principle as employed in Mountain Rescue casualty bags

comanighttrain
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
thanks for the recommendations guys!

Was checking Parkas when I noticed this : http://www.militarymart.co.uk//german-flecktarn-camo-parka/prod_43.html - kind of goes with my paintball trousers... for £8 ill give it a go!

Ben Casey
05-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I have an Army parka if you want one the only thing is the inner is missing I got it of mate in Ireland it is the same as an old combat jacket just longer and it has a hood so you wont need the helmet LOL

Adam Savage
05-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Best jacket, is the one Matt uses. An old fireman's jacket :)

Silverback
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
When I think on I have a 90 patt jacket you can have too. You can buy a button on hood or wear a hat

Silverback
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
thanks for the recommendations guys!

Was checking Parkas when I noticed this : http://www.militarymart.co.uk//german-flecktarn-camo-parka/prod_43.html - kind of goes with my paintball trousers... for £8 ill give it a go!

Cant fault that price fella !!

comanighttrain
07-06-2012, 09:03 PM
ey lads, parka turned up.

First impression is great. Once adjusted fits well enough, had it on in a bit of rain and wind...kept both off easy enough and kept a nice bit of baggyness - if it were wet this would be a useful bit of air insulation. Its not waterproof but it'll keep you warm in light rain.

for £8 I'm not gonna shake a stick at it... also for thos inclined i think the camo would work well in paintball/airsoft woodland

Silverback
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
ey lads, parka turned up.

First impression is great. Once adjusted fits well enough, had it on in a bit of rain and wind...kept both off easy enough and kept a nice bit of baggyness - if it were wet this would be a useful bit of air insulation. Its not waterproof but it'll keep you warm in light rain.

for £8 I'm not gonna shake a stick at it... also for thos inclined i think the camo would work well in paintball/airsoft woodland

Got airsoft mates who swear by flectarn cammo

Bastoss
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I bought a jacket without a hood and happened to get one later in a job lot with a load of other stuff. think they are all available on that auction site just got to look. As I said put the combat smock over the softie shirt and you'll be toastie and protected.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-DPM-SAS-Smock-Super-Grade-Size-Large-Issue-Item-/320916392340?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_ LE&hash=item4ab81b8994

Try that one

comanighttrain
07-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I bought a jacket without a hood and happened to get one later in a job lot with a load of other stuff. think they are all available on that auction site just got to look. As I said put the combat smock over the softie shirt and you'll be toastie and protected.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-DPM-SAS-Smock-Super-Grade-Size-Large-Issue-Item-/320916392340?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_ LE&hash=item4ab81b8994

Try that one

Thanks dude - already got the flacktarn one though! Was looking for the SAS one but the price was always like £60...

CanadianMike
08-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Got airsoft mates who swear by flectarn cammo

I played extreme hardcore 'milsim' airsoft for 7 years, experienced all kinds of camo (both using.....CADPAT desert and woodland, Brit DPM, US Woodland, Multicam... and shooting at....... you name it, it showed up, even DPM desert), Flecktarn works well but mostly during the fall over here. My sniper ghillie and CADPAT always worked the best in my areas of play.

Back on topic, any type of full or blend wool will be your best friend for sitting by a fire.....

nat110732
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Cant fault that price fella !!
have that very same one, although paid about £15 from http://www.action-station.co.uk/store/contactus.aspx afew years back whilst down that way.
the jaket is worth every penny in my opinion and mine comes out with me every time

cheers nat:)

comanighttrain
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
have that very same one, although paid about £15 from http://www.action-station.co.uk/store/contactus.aspx afew years back whilst down that way.
the jaket is worth every penny in my opinion and mine comes out with me every time

cheers nat:)

haha Seen a homeless boy wearing on on the way home... We're in a very exclusive club

FishyFolk
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I played extreme hardcore 'milsim' airsoft for 7 years, experienced all kinds of camo (both using.....CADPAT desert and woodland, Brit DPM, US Woodland, Multicam... and shooting at....... you name it, it showed up, even DPM desert), Flecktarn works well but mostly during the fall over here. My sniper ghillie and CADPAT always worked the best in my areas of play.

Back on topic, any type of full or blend wool will be your best friend for sitting by a fire.....

For some reason most camo gear is to dark and the fabric to "hard", so you see the silhouette...also, the camo pattern is moot on distance over 100-150 yards. So you have to break up the figure of a human, stay still and put something softer on top.n Thew stay still is becosue the human eye is or rather the brain is hard wired to spot movement...thats why you spot them even camouflaged. The camo fabric is only there really as a base layer for the soldiers camo. Also in paint ball you wear a lot of shiny stuff that reflects light, even if you camo paint the gear as well...lots of factors why you spot ted people in camo.

In your ghillie suit you broke the pattern of a human shape, softened up, and you probably did not move much. Thats why it worked.

FishyFolk
09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
haha Seen a homeless boy wearing on on the way home... We're in a very exclusive club

What you saw was a hard core bushcrafter :-)

nat110732
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
:happy-clapping:
haha Seen a homeless boy wearing on on the way home... We're in a very exclusive club:happy-clapping:
lol....my mrs says i look like a 'parafin lamp' every time i wear it!!

comanighttrain
09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
For some reason most camo gear is to dark and the fabric to "hard", so you see the silhouette...also, the camo pattern is moot on distance over 100-150 yards. So you have to break up the figure of a human, stay still and put something softer on top.n Thew stay still is becosue the human eye is or rather the brain is hard wired to spot movement...thats why you spot them even camouflaged. The camo fabric is only there really as a base layer for the soldiers camo. Also in paint ball you wear a lot of shiny stuff that reflects light, even if you camo paint the gear as well...lots of factors why you spot ted people in camo.

In your ghillie suit you broke the pattern of a human shape, softened up, and you probably did not move much. Thats why it worked.

my favourite strategy, wait until there is a firefight, get the lads to fall back and i just wait still...most of the time they dont even notice and I'll have their whole flank open for some special attention

CanadianMike
10-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Exactly! I did move often, but very slowly. The ghillie also adds natural shadow, which works better than the black added to camo.

Silverback
10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
For some reason most camo gear is to dark and the fabric to "hard", so you see the silhouette...

Shape, Shine, Sihouette, Shadow, Surface, Sound, Spacing, Sudden Movement and Antennae