PDA

View Full Version : Norway maps

FishyFolk
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Here in Norway the far preffered navigation maps is the M711 series from "Statens kartverk". Perhaps because everyone learns to use them in the army.
It's very seldom I see maps in 1:25000. Those are generally only used by sports orienteering people I guess. Also it cuts down on the number of maps you would have to carry...Norwegians like to
tab over great distances sometimes.

Now they have released a new series of these, where the maps come in some kind of plastic material, making them very durable also, so I ordered one covering the area I use the most
and will give it a thorugh review on youtube, and will post it here accordingly. Just have to recieve it.

Anyway since there are some of you who come to Norway to bushcraft, thought you may wanna know about it.
I am in no way involved with Statens Kartverk, whose English name is "The Norwegian Mapping Authority (http://www.statkart.no/eng/Norwegian_Mapping_Authority/)"

Until I recieve my map, here is a video about it.

http://youtu.be/5MMLIqTbCE0

happybonzo
04-07-2012, 04:48 AM
.Norwegians like to
tab over great distances sometimes.

I always thought that Norwegians "Yomped" :)

FishyFolk
04-07-2012, 05:38 AM
I always thought that Norwegians "Yomped" :)

Actually we march, I was just trying to use a British word i picked up somewhere

AL...
04-07-2012, 09:45 AM
And you used it realy well I may add :D

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Got my map to today, and that thing is indestructible.
Good thing becosue the wifey found it in the mailbox, and on seeing the padded envelope she smelled a rat in the cheese!

Anyway, all I can say know is that it's a good thing i ordered one, because I have forgotten so much on how to use a map that it is ridicilous.
Not the use a map and compass stuff, thats second nature, and so easy you have to be brain damaged to forget.

I was doing a simple excerzise like find the grid for your house and write it down...well, the map is UTM WGS 84, so how hard could it be?
...that is the system we used in the army as well. Latitudes and longitudes and all that mess we leave to the birds and the floaters...

Anyway. How to find and to create a 6 or 8 digit grid is so drilled into me that this is no problem. I can do that while people are shooting at me. But that is all.
But then you need to know what 100km square I am in. Well, I could say Harstad 761 321 and the rescuers would know where to pick me up.

But then I wanted to know if I could find a full UTM grid grid, so I looked up the UTM grid for a local geocache, and tried to find that on the map....and a lot of head scrathing ensued...
so much that I had to look it up to find out what the heck all those numbers where, and what numbers to discard to find my 6 digit grid :-)

I found out, but it took some head slaps before I figured it out....lol

Just goes to show that if you don't keep your skills up, you lose 'em.

Anyway, i plan to to some map reading and navigation videos for my YT channel. While trying my best to destroy this indestructible map....I swear I could use it as an emergency sheletr, and it would still be perfectly usable after...