PDA

View Full Version : Camping out at Sondrup Strand, July 6-8 2012

JEEP
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRcwr9kPdt0&feature=plcp

Camping out at the open campground at Sondrups Strand, near Horsens, Denmark - together with my good friend Joachim.

I end up ranting quite a bit about vandalism, which is a growing problem here in Denmark - and it pisses me off! Aside from that, it was a weekend well spent, with a lot of relaxation, sharing of knowledge and long conversations about the deeper things in life :)

I got to try my new Vango Banshee 200 tent for the first time, I am actually quite happy about it, though it is somewhat on the short side for me.

I brought both my Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and Wetterlings Small Axe. Both are excellent axes, but a tiny axe like the Wetterlings is not really very usefull for preparing firewood, I expect it to be a great carving axe though.

I managed to almost wear all the finish off the blade of my new Bacho Laplander - due to the high salt content of the wood from the beach I guess.

Sorry about the dark images in the beginning, it gets better 30 seconds in. It is the first time ever for me to edit and post a video on YouTube. Next time I will most likely bring my Canon 500D and a tripod instead of using my iPhone.

AL...
08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Great wee vid Jakob and im with ye 100% on your rant . The same happens here and it gets right up my back too.
Some folks have no sence or respect for the outdoors.

Cheers
AL

treefrog
09-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Great video Jakob (says me enviously as I try to sort out random shaky clips from MY weekend!).
Love that wee tent of yours... looks like a quality unit.

And Underburg for breakfast??!! Love that!

FishyFolk
09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh no, just what the forum needs. Another wannabe Ray Mears who spam the forum with self made "Bushcraft" videos from his own Youtube channel ;)

JEEP
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
:p

FishyFolk
09-07-2012, 09:02 AM
:p

Where is the Berret?

JEEP
09-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Isn't my Chairborne cap enough?

biker-bri
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Where is the Berret?
And the slippers:wink::wink:
+1 for Al's comments too

FishyFolk
09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
On a serious note. We get the same idiocy happening in Norway. Not long ago someone had kicked over all the fireplaces in the local park, they are the same type as in Jakobs video. This is also next to a lake that get used a lot by kids for swimming. The councill has built shelters, etc. These are more or less left alone though,as there is always a lot of grown ups and families using them. So the braindead tend to leave them alone. On that same trip, they had ripped out the rope from all the rescue bouys allong the shore of the lake, I found one hanging up a tree. So obviously the only thing needing rescue was the braqincells of the individual responsible. And don't get me started on the littering... :guns:

CanadianMike
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Just started watching it....... why don't you do reviews of the freeze dried meals you have tried and ones you like, am sure many will find it informative. I've tried a couple types in the past with less than impressed results, but due to the cost of them, I don't want to risk wasting money on more flavoured sawdust in the future.

JEEP
09-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I might do that someday. For now, I have plenty of knives waiting to be reviewed :)

CanadianMike
09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
No doubt, you busy boy you. :)

Humakt
09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
That looks like a nice little spot. Despite the damage to some of the trees. Shame, that.
Anyway, I think what the Danish government has done - reserve space for camping spots - is a good idea. Smart move, that.
And lucky you for having such a good camping site so close.
Do you ever get situations where, once you are set up, other people come along and camp in the same spot as well, destroying your privacy or purposefully trying to make it unwelcoming for you so you leave?

JEEP
09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I have tried that a few times, yes. But I have yet to loose the initial staring contest - and I am usually the big red-bearded/long haired guy with the large axe and leuku. So, normally people like that only hang around for a very short while, before quietly leaving :)

I am not sure how many open campgrounds there are overall in Denmark - but just around Horsens, there are about 15 sites.

All the sites are listed on Naturstyrelsens homepage - and every year a small handbook is published, with maps, description of the site and it's facilities, directions and GPS coordinates for each campground.

Aside from running water and toilets, free firewood (when it's not stolen by the locals or burned all at once by kids) is a common feature of these sites as well.

jus_young
09-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Underburg!! I haven't come across those little bottles in years! Ah, memories coming back again.

Totally agree with you on your views of the Banshee, definately could be a little longer to avoid damp feet and no way would I like to try two up in it!

Kernowek Scouser
09-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Oh memories of my Banshee, definitely not a two person tent, unless it is two people who are very narrow and know each other intimately, but still a cracking bit of kit. I never had the wet feet problem, but then like Ernie wise I have short hairy legs, so my feet were not, quite, making contact with the inner.

Still, great video Jakob. It looks like you and your mate had a nice little adventure. T^

This will probably mean nothing to you and no offence is intended by it, as it is probably just my mad ears playing tricks on me, but you sound just like the fella who used to do the narration for Ivor the Engine.