PDA

View Full Version : Budget Bushcraft - Inexpensive pieces of kit - Poundland store in UK

paul standley
30-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi all, Found a couple of bits today that you might be interested in if you live in UK...

Poundland have 0.5 litre aluminium 'Sigg' style (not sigg) water bottles for £1 and that includes a little carabiner clip.

They've also got the Altoids mints in the tins for £1 each if your looking for small tins (or mints :-)

And... they've also got Jute cord in a cylindrical metal tin with push on lid for £1

Paul.

Mouldsy
30-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Poundland do great deals in the summer when they put their camping range out, they have great enamel plate's bowl's and cup's all for a quid, you couldn't beat it.

JEEP
30-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I would stear away from cheap alu. Sigg copies. The coating inside them often contains PVC, BPA and an abundance of other nasty stuff. Even older original Sigg bottles are not free from BPA - it's the same thing with the older Nalgene products.

I use only uncoated stainless steel bottles, like Tatonka's, for the same reason.

gabrielo
30-12-2010, 09:21 PM
yes with your cooking gear, i would better go with stainless steel for those exact reasons. but theses small tins are great for your firelighting stuff like tinder.

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I would stear away from cheap alu. Sigg copies. The coating inside them often contains PVC, BPA and an abundance of other nasty stuff. Even older original Sigg bottles are not free from BPA - it's the same thing with the older Nalgene products.

I use only uncoated stainless steel bottles, like Tatonka's, for the same reason.

Bit of a late reply here, sorry.

PVC shouldn't be too much of a problem for a water bottle, as long as no heat is applied to it. Mains water pipes are made of PVC over here.

bigzee
11-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah Jakob, but - ONE POUND!!! i'm sure we'd all put up with a few stomach cramps/diahorrea for a saving like that! (apart from Martin obviously). I dunno what things are like in Denmark at the moment but we're nearly eating our own earwax over here to make savings!!!!

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Bit of a late reply here, sorry.

PVC shouldn't be too much of a problem for a water bottle, as long as no heat is applied to it. Mains water pipes are made of PVC over here.

The amount of asbestos I had in the back of my 432 I think it doesnt relly matter what I use LOL

Martin
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah Jakob, but - ONE POUND!!! i'm sure we'd all put up with a few stomach cramps/diahorrea for a saving like that! (apart from Martin obviously). I dunno what things are like in Denmark at the moment but we're nearly eating our own earwax over here to make savings!!!!

lol, I don't care what I drink out of, as long as it's either made of bone china or myrrh. :p

Martin

klause
11-04-2011, 11:41 PM
lol, I don't care what I drink out of, as long as it's either made of bone china or myrrh. :p

Martin

You lost your jewel encrusted titanium goblet Martin ?

comanighttrain
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I dont even really like the osprey bottle ... plastics are generally bad as far as im aware...hard to avoid it these days though.

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
You lost your jewel encrusted titanium goblet Martin ?

Isn't it called a crunk cup? LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I dont even really like the osprey bottle ... plastics are generally bad as far as im aware...hard to avoid it these days though.

And they all smell of strange things too LOL

comanighttrain
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
And they all smell of strange things too LOL

yeah what the devil is that smell? mine was new and it smelled like burned socks...

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 12:47 PM
yeah what the devil is that smell? mine was new and it smelled like burned socks...

LOL, I think it's the type of plastic they use. It doesn't really go totally hard because of the plasticiser, or whatever they add to it, to stop it splitting in extreme temperatures, or go brittle with age. It's like the pattern 58 sleeping bags. They all smell of the Falklands LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
pattern 58 sleeping bags they where a good bit of kit you could fasten your poncho to it :) Mine was brill in Brecon I buried under a tree when I was up there somewhere doing safety radio for a rodneys course they didnt find me till the end of the week LOL Sweet memories :D

jikido
14-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Poundland are selling survival blankets for a quid too. And a groundsheet that I use to kneel on when icook and throw over my wood pile at night.

LandRoverMatt
16-08-2011, 07:52 PM
some little things can we useful in there

LandRoverMatt
31-08-2011, 08:03 PM
good in there brought a first aid kit wash kit 10 litre bag and some other stuff and pillow good shop really

Adam Savage
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
good in there brought a first aid kit wash kit 10 litre bag and some other stuff and pillow good shop really

Those pillows are great. Hasn't let me down yet and it's only a pound to replace if it does. :)