PDA

View Full Version : Sunday walk, with a Wild Stoves wood gas stove. (part 2) with pictures.

KarlUpNorth
15-07-2012, 12:11 PM
So, I had my smoke, relaxed in the quiet for a while, and then decided to head back home.

I try to leave no trace, as do you all, apart from a small burnt patch.

The view looking back at the town from where I was sat.

This where I was sat, on the rocks.

Looking back at the place where I was from the road.

A seal, sitting on a rock I saw on my way back, there were a few around, but not as many as usual, normally there are 20 or so nearby this area.

So thoughts on my Helle Viking, brilliant knife, sharp out of the box. Although I did notice my hand did tend to slide towards the blade a bit, I'll just have to be careful as there is no guard.

And on the Wild Stoves, wood gas stove. Excellent little stove, lightweight, and very simple to use. I bought the Deluxe version, which included the windshield, tinder paper, MSR stowaway pot, which the stove fits into, keeping it secure and safe in your pack, a couple of sporks and a swedish fire steel. I also opted for the Trangia burner as an extra, which I will try out soon. Considering that I can burn wood, meths, and other combustible material, I even think I could try peat. It is perfect for my needs, next time I go out I will try something more exciting than boiling water, maybe fry some bacon, hmmm

So, not much of an adventure, by some standards, but an enjoyable way to spend a few hours on a Sunday morning.

Karl

AL...
15-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Great write up Karl. and you do live in a stunning part of the world mate I love it up there and need to head back up sometime soon.
The stove is a wee belter

Cheers
AL

Martin
15-07-2012, 12:29 PM
T^

Martin

rosseveritt
15-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Good pics and account. Thanks for sharing. :)

Tony1948
15-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Lovely sunday mornning outing KarlT^

biker-bri
15-07-2012, 06:05 PM
No point me going to Shetland - nowhere to hang my hammock !!:D. Its a place I have never been but it is on my to do list. Nice write up, really like the look of that stove, great pictures and you enjoyed yourself, sounds like a good day all round.
Cheers Bri

FishyFolk
15-07-2012, 06:19 PM
So thoughts on my Helle Viking, brilliant knife, sharp out of the box. Although I did notice my hand did tend to slide towards the blade a bit, I'll just have to be careful as there is no guard.

There is no such thing as a push cut on a "Tollekniv", which is what you got in the Helle Viking. Tollekniv is the modern Norwegian word for the old Norse "talguknifr" - talgu = to whitle; Knifr = knife, so whitling knife. So know that you have a knife without training wheels you are finally a grown up. In Scandinavia we only put a finger guard on a Tollekniv meant for children. So if you have one without, it means you have a grown ups knife. Welcome to adulthood :happy-clapping:

Else, nice scenery,a nd always nice to let all that shiney kit se some daylight :-)

TinkyPete
15-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Great pictures and great views

Roadkillphil
15-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Noice! :D I like seals :)