PDA

View Full Version : Survived 12 days on spruce shots and unripe cloudberry

FishyFolk
16-07-2012, 04:12 PM
In Sweden a 68 year old man become separated from his mates in a storm during a fishing trip.
He survived for 12 days by eating spruce shots and unripe cloudberry

Google translate of story here (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/07/16/nyheter/utenriks/leteaksjon/overlevde/22562127/&usg=ALkJrhhXXZ8urw4mYxb_dRPD0g0ecKoTTg)

Would you have survived?

AdrianRose
16-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I survived for 8 days straight eating my wife's cooking a while back so I think I win!!

:)

Ade

FishyFolk
16-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I survived for 8 days straight eating my wife's cooking a while back so I think I win!!

:)

Ade

If her cooking is like my wives, you definately do :-)

AL...
16-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I lived off the land for 18 months . I was homless at the time some times I would get day work on farms but most of my food was rabbits pigeons deer a couple of times and the odd shaw of Tatties (Potatos) form some of the fields and a trout or 2 ..... Ok alot of trout hehe I loved it :D

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
16-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I would have done fine in late summer and early autumn. In winter and spring I would be a gonner. I certainly would not survive for 18 months living off the land...unless i could grow stuff, shoot stuff, fish it and store it...and even then it would be an incredible effort. 10-15 years ago I was capable of it I think, but never really tried. We did some hardship excercises in the army, but that ws more to see which ones of us would crack in a stressed situation, rather than anything to do with surviving off the land. So well done getting trough that Al :-)

Today...not a chance in hell. But for 12 days, I think I could keep it going. But would probably be in bad shape when found. But that is more do to my physical state than lack of knowledge...

AL...
16-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I know what ye mean Rune .. I couldent do it now for love nor money .
Tops I think I would last a week but only if I take my meds with me lol If I dont have them theres a good chance I'd be pulling up trees with my teeth haha

Cheers
AL

comanighttrain
17-07-2012, 10:19 AM
hmm... Les does 5 days... I think I could do it... actually sounds like a challenge!

Martin
17-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Funnily enough, the Cornish continent challenge this year will be something along the lines of two nights out with no food or water but carry as much gear as you like. Probably at the end of summer or early autumn so there should be plenty of stuff to eat. The location for this challenge has yet to be decided as are the finer points but we'll let you know as soon as we do.

Martin

AL...
17-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Sounds like fun Martin ... Ye need a catapult? :D

Cheers
AL

Martin
17-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Can you eat them? ;)

Martin

AL...
17-07-2012, 02:24 PM
No but they are good for knocking things out of trees :D

Cheers
AL

Martin
17-07-2012, 05:27 PM
No but they are good for knocking things out of trees :D

Cheers
AL

It will be interesting to see how I manage as a non meat eater. I don't mind killing the stuff for other people but I won't eat it.

Martin

biker-bri
19-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Can you eat them? ;)

Martin

Do you have all your own teeth - cos they aint made of cats :happy-clapping: