PDA

View Full Version : Can You Please Recommend A Rucksack

Chubbs
21-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I have spent ages on the auction sites looking for a rucksack. Most of the decent ones are out of my price range and to be honest, I don't think that I will use it enough to warrant spending a large wad of cash.

What would you guys use. I might use it a few times a month for overnight stays with my boy in the woods so it will need to be a decent size so I can carry everything from cooking equipment to the tent and sleeping bags.

Cheers Neil

FishyFolk
21-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Try to find a Bergaus Cyclops II. They are army surplus and excellent quallity, but not the most lightweight. Alternatively a Berghaus Cyclops Crusader if you can do with 85 litres instead of 100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Berghaus-Cyclops-Crusader-Olive-85-Litre-Rucksack-issued-Used-Army-Surplus-/230786713252?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksack s_Bags_EH&var=&hash=item35bbf5c6a4

Silverback
21-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry to do this but...one that fits.

What works for me may very well not work for you - the Vango Sherpa is a good sac and in its favour it has an adjustable back system. Berghaus Cyclops as Fishy says, old Karrimor Jaguars, bombproof but all these are heavy. However if its only for the odd overnighter wheres the harm.

I use a Web tex army bergan for multi day trips doing bushy stuff, but my day to day mountain sac is a Berghaus Extrem Pro, same type as Alan Hinkes uses. expensive when I bought it but still going strong after much abuse.

Martin
22-07-2012, 04:19 AM
Can't argue with what Sapper says but I would add that, if you buy a rucksack on a budget, you are likely to buy several. Certainly, you want one that fits, you also want one that is going to fit all your gear but remember that the more space you have, the more you will take.

If you are going to carry things any distance then weight is going to be a major factor. Don't be tempted by 100 litre bergens that weigh 5kg+ on their own as that is weight you don't need to carry.

Martin

Chubbs
22-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, some great advice there.

I popped down to the local carboot sale this morning in Hayle and picked up a beauty. There is a guy with a stall that sells ex army gear and he had three rucksacks there with all his other gear. The one I picked up has these markings on inside at the top of the pack

978-5360
Rucksack Long
L 32A / 5260
CWL 199I and an arrow pointing up

Below that is a circle with

C.W.
arrow pointing up

Its in good nick and cost me £25.00, knocked down from thirty.

Anybody out there know what this one is.

Cheers Neil

Kernowek Scouser
22-07-2012, 03:32 PM
No idea, but it sounds like you got yourself sorted.

Haven't been to the car boot in Hayle for a while, must pop down there sometime.

Chubbs
22-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I have been going years, but it was the biggest one I have ever seen today. It took half an hour to get out of the place.

Kernowek Scouser
22-07-2012, 07:41 PM
The stall holders were probably working on the basis that as the sun was out, the last place the tourist would want to be is on the beach, which might sound daft to some folks, but having fought my way through the standing room only at my local supermarket today, to then queue for ten mins for a packet of fags, in the company of a lot of testy, whiny holiday makers with an exaggerated sense of entitlement; it is actually a sound business principle :D

Chubbs
22-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I agree with you mate.

I know that they bring in a hell of a lot of money to the local economy but I can't stand driving around tourists in the Summer. Its like six weeks of dodgems. I've lived in this wonderful county for nearly 23 years, and how its changed.

Silverback
22-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, some great advice there.

I popped down to the local carboot sale this morning in Hayle and picked up a beauty. There is a guy with a stall that sells ex army gear and he had three rucksacks there with all his other gear. The one I picked up has these markings on inside at the top of the pack

CWL 199I and an arrow pointing up

Below that is a circle with

C.W.
arrow pointing up

Its in good nick and cost me £25.00, knocked down from thirty.

Anybody out there know what this one is.

Cheers Neil

British Army PLCE (Personal Load Carrying Equipment) long back bergen. Did it come with the side pouches that zip on to the main sac ?

ADz
29-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to link you to the backpack I recently purchased. Was only £25 and seems decent, not that I have any experience but it seems to do the job, has plenty of room and feels comfortable to wear. I will be looking to get a more expensive/higher quality one eventually but for a quick/cheap solution this seems perfect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370598591545?var=640024982971&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649