PDA

View Full Version : a newbie, i'm here for the food

twosmokeforever
24-07-2012, 06:35 PM
just looking for somewhere where I can discuss food, real experiences and what you can & can't eat

always been a country boy and I know that food doesn't come from packets on chilled shelves, although this seems to be the way we are going

like I said always had an open mind but over the last 2years I have been more into foraging for free, really got serious after buying the book of ray (ray mears), but I guess roger phillips has fed me more

eaten
the giant puffball
boletes
safron milk caps
little grey puffballs, stunning favour
field mushrooms
oyster mushrooms
st georges mushrooms
haw
nettle
dead nettle
wild pea
wild strawberry
sorrell
fennel
pigeon
duck
rabbit
crow
dandy lion
jack by the hedge
wild garlic
autumn pie, rowan, sloe, crab apple, haw, bread & milk
cherry's
plums
green gages
apples
mackeral in sweet oarweed on barby
trout in fennel on barby

next
perch
chub
pike

I just can't wait for the rape to be cut, so I can get some pellets down the .22 verminator

the last month or two has been a tough time, spring shoots are gone and fruits aren't ready. until today a awesome find of plums & peas

so what next????

twosmokeforever
29-07-2012, 06:42 PM
perch is good, had it plain in foil on a barby on saturday just to sample the taste. ate bunny cooked in oregano and white wine friday

shootfive
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Greetings :D I'm looking forward to trying perch (won't be long)

AL...
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Pike is also a good fish if you flake it once ye have cooked it as there are a fair amount of bones in it . But they make fantastic fishcakes

Cheers
AL

jbrown14
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Perch, in my mind, is the absolute best freshwater fish you can eat. I like it even better than a nice trout. We just caught a couple of perch on Monday night with my wife, kids, and in-laws out on the boat. I left them for my father-in-law to clean, vacuum bag, and freeze for a later date when we'll have a fish-fry at his house. Saves me the clean-up. :D

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Josh

AL...
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
For me the best has to be Sea trout I love it . and in the States it would have to be Big Mouth Bass Oh boy they are realy tasty.
Sorry if thats a bit off topic.

Cheers
AL

twosmokeforever
12-08-2012, 09:58 AM
caught a river bream last night, which was like a paving slab. And threw it back in, can't help think that was a foolish thing to do

when I was in france as a youngster on holiday, I had a great day bream fishing and a local man I think told me I was an idiot for putting a bream back in the water. On the next one I caught he tried handing me franks, I refused and put it back. I think then he swore at me, and stormed off.

this tells me something

also caught a nice roach which I also put back. if its big enough to eat I think I should try it. Am I wrong?

I might also have some fish traps, which I have caught feck all with, is it just me?

If you put worms in our river perch jump out, if you put sweet corn in you get roach & bream. A freind catches eels & chub on cheese. If you use small perch you get pike. And you can see dace swimming around our boats

yet the traps only get leaves, bait used so far

pigeon carcus
gurnard heads
bread

is it me? is it my free choice of bait?

twosmokeforever
12-08-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.find-a-seafood-recipe.com/freshwater-fish-recipes.html

damn, have to catch that bream again

Tigger004
21-09-2012, 12:32 PM
All this talk of food just reminds me I need to pop to the co-op...:ashamed: