PDA

View Full Version : Knife sharpening with Jon Mac...

Jon Mac
01-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Saturday, 1 January 2011
Knife Sharpening With Jon Mac Part 1 and 2

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_E5598eI3o/TR9BXzkWMrI/AAAAAAAACCE/JNlDvME30UU/s320/Spoon+carving+first+steps+Knife+sharpening+with+Se an+008.jpg
Sean Mulhall has just uploaded two short films titled...

Knife sharpening with Jon Mac Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/user/seanmulhall#p/u/1/PzARsyFoEic

Knife sharpening with Jon Mac Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/user/seanmulhall#p/u/0/-JiwCxAU5Ww

Have a look and let me see your comments...
Happy New Year !
ENJOY...

luresalive
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
It's a good video and shows sharpening with waterstones a la Mears, but that's not how the japanese traditionally use their stones..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_geU7T2I7Q

Jon Mac
01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Splendid...I'm glad you enjoyed the movies...Anything I can help you with, let me know....Happy new year...J

klause
26-03-2011, 08:15 PM
It's a good video and shows sharpening with waterstones a la Mears, but that's not how the japanese traditionally use their stones..

I see what you mean, their actions are different - any chance of translateing the vid ! lol.

Jon Mac
27-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, what can I say.
I am not Ray Mears, I am not the guy from Japan. I am Jon Mac.
I use my knives every day for my work. I carve daily. I work in the forest daily. I sharpen my knives daily. I use 7 or 8 MaChris knives all with different types of steel which has, over time, allowed me to discern what steel to use with a particular wood, and how to sharpen different steels. In my experience, each steel needs a subtly different approach, something which both Luresalive and Klause will no doubt testify. My sharpening technique works. My sharpening technique works extremely well. I wont be changing my technique for a while yet. Although over time it may evolve.
Each of us has choice in life.
I've made mine....

klause
27-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Dear Jon Mac,
I hope you'll agree, by merely stating the fact that; two people from different parts of the world have differing techniques when sharpening knives, that I meant no offence at all. I chose to share a joke with 'lurealive' about not being able to understand the video of the Asian man, this in no way was meant to detract from your expertise as a craftsman.

The fact is I sharpened both my son's knife and my own knife, yesterday evening, using the direction of all three of your video tutorials, and they are now as sharp as I’ll probably ever get them, so I would like to thank you for that. I cannot testify to which steel to use on which wood, as I am new to bushcraft, and therefore listened intently to your tutorial, of which I gained the knowledge to correctly sharpen my own knives.
I have re-read my post over and over and cannot see, at any point, where any misunderstanding may have taken place - if I am wrong and I have caused you offence then I apologise whole heartedly.

I have learned a great deal from NB and from experienced members like yourself, and I hope to carry on doing so in the future. In addition, I try to contribute to other people’s posts in a positive and supportive manner...... I would never criticise any post on NB whether it be from an experienced or inexperienced member, which I hope has come across in my previous posts.
Anyway, having said that, I loved your video and took plenty from it, so thank you.

Iain & Son...

JonnyP
27-03-2011, 08:20 PM
The video is not working for me Jon..?

IBrown
27-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Jon, Excellent video's. Can I ask you what is the difference between the waterstone you used in the video and the oil stone I have. Is one better than the other? is there advantages and disadvantages with one or the other.
Thanks
Ian

luresalive
28-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I would actually say Jon Macs technique was a more difficult way to sharpen a blade and not for every user, simply because unless you are very very good at keeping a stable position and lock on your wrists then with this style you are liable to rock the blade ever so gently and over time this will cause your bevel to form into a convex shape and not a straight zero grind.The japanese method (where waterstones where originally developed and used to sharpen some of the finest blades the world has ever known) is more likely to enable you to keep your wrists in the correct position and enable a more accurately sharpened bevel angle with less likelyhood of a convex developing. It's horses for courses, use whatever method suits but always keep an eye on the angle of your bevel when freehand sharpening.