PDA

View Full Version : Two overnight camps on the Black Mountain

GwersyllaCnau
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
22nd July
We wanted to go to the other side of the river to where we usually camp as we had looked at the spot from our usual site and it looked a good place to hang the hammocks. Instead of the gentle hours walk it usually is, this side of the river was a very strenuous walk up and down steep hills and through boggy areas... it took us about three hours and we were both really hungry when we got to the site so the first thing we did, even before setting up the hammocks was cook food.
We couldn't hang the hammocks as close as we would have liked but it was OK. My hammock was hung from ONE tree, between the trunk and a very large branch that hung almost to the ground. My son's was about 200 ft away.

http://youtu.be/Eo4cyBlENJE

28th July
My brother had bought a Snugpak Jungle Hammock so we went to try it out in a location we had found the previous week. It took a couple of attempts to hang it as neither of us were sure of the best way to hang it as I am used to my hennessy and this one looks like a DD but I think if it was hung with a sag you could lay asymmetrically. We got it hung eventually but because it was on a really steep slope it was fun trying to get in it.
I have to be honest after lying in it for 5 minutes max I found it really comfy, more so than my Hennessy. I would like to spend a whole night in it to see what it's really like. It was a bit unnerving getting in for the 1st time as the material of the hammock if so thin you can easily see through it, and the suspension in knotted paracord, but it didn't dump us on the floor. For someone looking for a 1st cheap hammock I would definitely recommend it. In fact I'm going to borrow it off my brother to see what it's like to sleep in for a full night and I may buy one to use instead of my Hennessy.

http://youtu.be/LAAnzttfvJI

treefrog
03-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Looks like good fun, guys. Scenic river there. Almost makes me want to take up hammock camping...

GwersyllaCnau
03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't have been able to camp there without the hammocks, especially the second camp.

Kernowek Scouser
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Looks like you had fun, thanks for sharing T^