PDA

View Full Version : Silly People

metal sean
01-08-2012, 12:54 PM
For as long as I can remember I've tried to keep most of my outdoors kit green in colour.Not as some Rambo-esque tribute but just an appreciation of the wilderness and a way of blending in.Around my local area (NE England) this has never been a problem,however,trips to the Lake District have often resulted in remarks along the lines of "The army went that way" "You need to head east for Baghdad" etc.Now not only do I find these kinds of comments in bad taste and very disrespectful to the armed forces,especially when said by people inappropriately dressed for outdoor travel.One fine example always sticks in my memory.Myself and a friend,also a fan of green kit,were enjoying a nice extremely hot and sunny weekend in The Lake District on and around The Old Man Of Coniston.Part way through our first day we came across a group of "ramblers" who decided that they would point out our penchant for the colour green."Oh I didn't realise the SAS had moved their training from Wales" said one gent dressed in shorts,t-shirt and sandals."Yeah government cutbacks" said his friend who was at least wearing walking boots."Enjoy your walk" I said and carried on ignoring these "silly people".After a nights wild camp near Goats Water we set off on the next part of our trek.Now wether mother nature had decided to show these silly people the error of their ways or not the weather was atrocious,never had I been so grateful for gore-tex! Our vehicle was parked in the village of Torver so we decided to cut short our jaunt and head for home.What a surprise to stumble,almost literally,over our short wearing friend and his gang huddled together in the pouring rain just a few short miles later.
"Can you help us please" asked a lady I assumed was his wife.
"What seems to be the problem?" I asked.
The lady went on to explain that the group had lost their way in the dark and had had to spend the night cuddling each other for warmth after the gent wearing sandals had gone over on his ankle which by now was severly swollen.My friend and I quickly got to work making warm brews for everyone and providing some basic first aid to the injured party.A call was made to the mountain rescue team and within minutes he was on his way to hospital.After many thankyous and handshakes the very dishevelled looking troop headed of with the MR people and my friend and I continued back to our vehicle.
I later received a letter from the injured person thanking me for my help and apologising for his sarcasm.He assured me that from then on he would always be better prepared when embarking on any kind of outdoor excursion.

FishyFolk
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
We have the same types here as well. In the spring I met one gentleman up on the mountain platau, with no kit what so ever, dressed in a T-shirt, shorts and sneakers. It was pissing down with rain, and he was soaked trough. ut as he said...."when I started from home it was warm and sunny..."

Rescue services have had their hands full up here this summer. Not a weekend goes by without hearing or reading stories of people needing to be fetched by helicopter from the hills. Without fail they are
not dressed or equipped to be out there.

Got to experience it also when I wen't to the E.R with severe pain from my Chrons (I am ordered by my doctor to go there immediatley if I have severe pain and a fever) ...and had to wait for eons as the E.R was full. as the stressed out Nurse said....it's summer....too many people are out doing what they should not do...lol

metal sean
01-08-2012, 01:17 PM
It's such a regular occurence that it is frightening.Yes carrying a pack can sometimes be a pain but with the modern lightweight kit now available I wish people would realise how quickly mother nature can change her mind and her temprement.Human nature for some people is one of stubborness and ignorance which is why as you stated the ER is full of people that should never of been there forcing people with genuine ailments to have to wait

jbrown14
01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
You know what? Don't let it get to you. I actually have a penchant for black and gray colored gear myself. I don't normally wear brightly colored clothing to begin with, heck, I'm wearing dark gray cargo pants and a black Adidas shirt at work right now.

I think the problem of ill-equipped people in the back country is a universal thing. Here in New York I hike the Adirondack mountains. The temperature difference from the base to the summit can be as much as 20 to 40 degrees sometimes. I've gotten some sideways looks sometimes when I'm hiking in early spring and near the base of the mountain (where there is absolutely no snow) I've got my snowshoes strapped to my pack and I'm wearing heavy hiking boots. I've been passed by the guys slipping and sliding in the slush and ice wearing running shoes, shorts and a cotton t-shirt with a water bottle clipped to their belt.

Be prepared, be happy in your walk, help people out when they need it, and be kind to them when you do. Maybe they'll think better of the next guy who's dressed like a commando that they meet.

Later!

Josh

metal sean
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
If we could just educate a few more people and in some way save people from being hurt or even worse killed then it would be better for us all.

keep hiking/climbing amigo

Silverback
01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
If we could just educate a few more people and in some way save people from being hurt or even worse killed then it would be better for us all.

keep hiking/climbing amigo

Welcome to the forum Sean

I generally wear drab colours, blacks, greens and even cammo, lots of the surplus stuff is cheaper too, and anyway it makes a nice change from wearing my normal outdoor clothing colour....... red.

Incidentally I also know lots of other people who wear drab colours, greens and even Cammo, they do it to hide from Search and Rescue Dogs and without them training would be difficult.

Ever considered trying to make a difference by joining MR ? After all those that can, do. Those that can do more...volunteer.

SimonB
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forum Sean

I generally wear drab colours, blacks, greens and even cammo, lots of the surplus stuff is cheaper too, and anyway it makes a nice change from wearing my normal outdoor clothing colour....... red.

Incidentally I also know lots of other people who wear drab colours, greens and even Cammo, they do it to hide from Search and Rescue Dogs and without them training would be difficult.

Ever considered trying to make a difference by joining MR ? After all those that can, do. Those that can do more...volunteer.

Know the feeling.....

I am a member of St John Ambulance, and I take two lines of thought when out on the hills.....

If I am out for a casual jaunt, I wear somehting which will stick out like a sore thumb to assist rescue if needed...

If I decide to go out and bug down for the night, I change to DPM and keep something in the bag to attract attention if needs be.

I also carry a quite comprehensive first aid kit on BOTH types of outing, not only for me, but in case I come across anyone needing help.

I have every respect for any member of a MRT, and I make sure I add my donation everytime I see them... Because one day, it might be me who needs their help...

I am soon to be liasing with Edale MRT regarding a sponsored walk I am doing in october to raise fuunds for our SJA unit.. Will be doing the first leg of the Pennine way from Edale to Crowden. Going to give them specific RV points in case me and the entourage need to casevac someone..

Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail.. And I have no intentions of failing...

Silverback
01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I have some very good mates with SJA particularly in South Yorkshire. Have many friends in Mountain Rescue across the country too.

When Bushcrafting - I always have my medical kit and a method of raising help but tend to want to blend in

But when out Mountain or Hill walking by default I always carry an orange smoke flare, hi vis vest and VHF radio as well as my medic kit and will have my dog with me.

If your going over to Crowden and if theres a Casevac it may very well be down to the 2 other MRT's that share cover of Bleaklow and the Pennine Way in that area - Woodhead and Glossop MRT's to do any evacuations.

FishyFolk
01-08-2012, 03:44 PM
The one thing I consistingly fail in is bringing a first aid kit on my short walks in the forest. It's sort of strange as on deployment in the forces, I always hanged around the medics, scrounging first aid stuff off them, and learning how to apply it. The rest of my squad used to lauagh at all the extra stuff I was hauling on a simple patrol...until the day came when the manure started to levitate in the general direction of the rotating cooling apparatus...after that they also became friendlier with the medics, strangely enough :wink:

But okay, I still got a nice little pocket on my bag it can sit it in, so I'll better myself.
At least a compression bandage, some band aids, a triangle bandage, sports tape, a few safety pins and needles, and a flute should fit in one.
Else there is a map at home with a pin in it to show where I wen't. We had a lady die out in the same hills I make all my videos in. The found her 1 km form the village, she was out on an afternoon stroll. She was reported missing in the evening by her husband. And Most of the village + the local Red Cross Rescue and the Home Guard was out looking for her, but did not find her until next afternoon...

All it takes is a slip and fall...and you may be out there longer than expected.

SimonB
01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I have some very good mates with SJA particularly in South Yorkshire. Have many friends in Mountain Rescue across the country too.

When Bushcrafting - I always have my medical kit and a method of raising help but tend to want to blend in

But when out Mountain or Hill walking by default I always carry an orange smoke flare, hi vis vest and VHF radio as well as my medic kit and will have my dog with me.

If your going over to Crowden and if theres a Casevac it may very well be down to the 2 other MRT's that share cover of Bleaklow and the Pennine Way - Woodhead and Glossop MRT's to do any evacuations.

Ha Ha !! I am a south yorkshire member... Rotherham unit to be exact.

My train of thought was as I was starting at Edale, liase with them, then if needs be they can call up the cavalry further along the way with our pre-arranged RV points.. But to be honest, short of spinal/heart problems, I am taking a carry sheet and we will self extricate to a safe point and call up help there....
Will have two other members, my mate who's ex army to who was a medic, and the rest are F.A.W, so good for lugging.. Going to have a session before the walk so they get to use and carry on the sheet, that way everyone will know what to do in an eventuality.

Silverback
01-08-2012, 03:51 PM
All it takes is a slip and fall...and you may be out there longer than expected.

The most common injury in the UK hills and mountains are lower leg. I have a nice simple FAK for bushcrafting which sits in a cheap Molle pouch and can be worn on a belt or attached to the outside of a sack, easily detachable and easy to access.

My mountain Kit is much bulkier and contains much more and is designed for responding to incidents to others rather than myself although it can be used on me by me if not incapacitated.

I always tell my mrs where I'm going and what time I expect to be off the hill and what to do in the event of not getting the Im ok phone call/sms

Silverback
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Ha Ha !! I am a south yorkshire member... Rotherham unit to be exact.

My mate Gav is from Barnsley SJA and a YAS Para.

Which route are you taking over Kinder and Bleaklow ? Following the Pennine Way ? Have you contacted anyone at EMRT yet ?

Trust me a carry sheet will be of little use up there, its hard enough evacuating someone on a purpose built Bell MR stretcher never mind carry sheets and improvised stretchers.

Best course of action is to avoid injury completely ;) lol

SimonB
01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
My mate Gav is from Barnsley SJA and a YAS Para.

Which route are you taking over Kinder and Bleaklow ? Following the Pennine Way ? Have you contacted anyone at EMRT yet ?

Trust me a carry sheet will be of little use up there, its hard enough evacuating someone on a purpose built Bell MR stretcher never mind carry sheets and improvised stretchers.

Best course of action is to avoid injury completely ;) lol

Going on the Jacobs ladder, Kinder low,Kinder downfall route.. As it's the most used, makes it easier to guide help in..And to traverse with a bod worst case. I know the carry sheet aint ideal, but it beats two branches and combat jackets threaded up them tabbing with a mate with his femur out the side of his knee for a mile and half to get to a safe casevac point...

10 slug of morphine didn't touch him...

Just started my YAS community first responder course myself, it all helps somewhere...

Silverback
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Going on the Jacobs ladder, Kinder low,Kinder downfall route.. As it's the most used, makes it easier to guide help in..And to traverse with a bod worst case.

Just started my YAS community first responder course myself, it all helps somewhere...

Thats the Pennine Way then.....not much need to traverse the route as Helis can be got to almost any point on the route, Helimed or RAF SAR weather permitting of course.... Failing that a slow evac on a Bell is the order of the day.

If you have an android or Iphone and its compatible theres an app MR can use called SARLoc to give a relatively accurate location anyway.

Failing that Edale, Kinder and Glossop Teams cover Kinder and Woodhead & Glossop have the other bit on Bleaklow and there are 9 MR Search Dogs in the immediate area.

SimonB
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Thats the Pennine Way then.....not much need to traverse the route as Helis can be got to almost any point on the route, Helimed or RAF SAR weather permitting of course.... Failing that a slow evac on a Bell is the order of the day.

If you have an android or Iphone and its compatible theres an app MR can use called SARLoc to give a relatively accurate location anyway.

Failing that Edale, Kinder and Glossop Teams cover Kinder and Woodhead & Glossop have the other bit on Bleaklow and there are 9 MR Search Dogs in the immediate area.

No signal anywhere on my android(3 network)... Going to be using an old nokia and vodafone network for the walk... But will still be carrying the andriod just in case the GPS works for co-ordinates....

FishyFolk
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
The most common injury in the UK hills and mountains are lower leg. I have a nice simple FAK for bushcrafting which sits in a cheap Molle pouch and can be worn on a belt or attached to the outside of a sack, easily detachable and easy to access.

My mountain Kit is much bulkier and contains much more and is designed for responding to incidents to others rather than myself although it can be used on me by me if not incapacitated.

I always tell my mrs where I'm going and what time I expect to be off the hill and what to do in the event of not getting the Im ok phone call/sms

I've had a few near misses on that on my walks. Happens when I get tired and on the way home, and attention to what I am doing starts to slip. Got a nice pouch, but it's for the old style webbing we had back in the 80'ies...but I suppose I can rig something so it will sit on my molle bag...or I'll just get molle pouch off ebay for it. It just got a flap to close it with push buttons...

Anyway, I'll dump the contents in a side pocket for now. Besides winter is coming..

Silverback
01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I've had a few near misses on that on my walks..

Badly turned my ankle and couldn't walk off in 2007. Managed about 600m on it but gave in, luckily I was training with my colleagues and they carried me off on a stretcher....... I just happened to be training with members of 6 other MR teams ;)

Silverback
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
No signal anywhere on my android(3 network)... Going to be using an old nokia and vodafone network for the walk... But will still be carrying the andriod just in case the GPS works for co-ordinates....

SARLoc sends your phone a link to an app that then sends you your location,provided you have signals. Had good results with it on Kinder in recent months.

When in October are you doing this because theres a planned fundraising event on the Derwent Watershed on the 6th ?

SimonB
01-08-2012, 05:05 PM
19th - 21st october...

Getting to Edale friday night, stop at the camp site, then up early saturday morning, hit the trail, get to Crowden and stop overnight there, and come home sunday.... But given the condition of my knees, might have to bug down on the trail overnight then carry on sunday... Gonna play that bit by ear.. Will have route and details at home, some at Edale, which can be liased with other MRT's, and approximate times I'll be at places.

I have heard about the event on the 6th, I was planning to sort out a small group of us to go up there.. Might see you if you're there?.

Silverback
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I have heard about the event on the 6th, I was planning to sort out a small group of us to go up there.. Might see you if you're there?.

I more than likely will be.....probably manning a checkpoint ;)