PDA

View Full Version : My first kit for my first wild camping trip

ADz
09-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my current items in my first kit that I will be taking to my first wild camping trip on 17th when we go to York Moors for a hike and camp. I will be modifying and adding to it prior to leaving. Any comments/advice/recommendations would be welcome :)

Rucksack
Berghaus Voyager 60 Plus

Sleeping/Camp
Gelert Solo Tent
6x4 Ground sheet/tarp
Foam Ear Plugs
Vango Steller 300SQ
1ltr Stuff Bag for sleeping bag
Foam Sleeping Mat
Small travel Inflatable Pillow

Clothing
Craghoppers Basecamp zip off trousers
Regatta XL-T Mens Walking Boots
Wool Thermal Socks
Bench Waterproof jacket
Waterproof Overtrousers.

Cooking/Food/Drink Equipment
Trangia 27-6
Trangia Fuel Bottle
The Pocket Stove
Hydration Bladder
Crusader Mug
Small Salt/Pepper shaker
Outwell Collaps Bowl
Travel Tap
Spork
Steel Knife/Fork/Spoon set
Washing up brush/liquid dispenser

Tools/Equipment
Garmin eTrex GPS
New Trent - Dual Port Power Pack
2x Telescopic Walking Poles
Rolson 9 Function Multi Tool
Highlander Folding Saw
Whitby 'Explora-Kit' Survival Knife - Black
Vango Fire Starter
12 LED Headlight
Plastic lightweight Trowel (Will be replacing with foldup).

Other
Insect Repellant & Bite Spray
Food For Free by Richard Mabey (Book)
Ray Mears Bushcraft/Survival (Books)

Things Still to get
All Weather Notepad
Rucksack cover
Dry/Stuff bag set
Binoculars
Food
Wash kit
First Aid Kit
Tick Remover
Other...

airbornelondon
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
wot no food lol

Martin
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Map and compass?

Martin

FishyFolk
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Knife?

Kernowek Scouser
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
... kitchen sink?

:D

No, I'm being cheeky as I took a lot more with me on my first wild camp.

Whatever you end up taking, a handy exercise when you get back is lay all your kit out, on say your ground sheet, remove your FAK, then separate your kit into stuff you used and stuff you didn't. Remove all the stuff you didn't use, then have a think if there is anything you did take and use, you could have done without and if there is anything that qualifies, remove that too. What remains, plus your FAK, should provide the foundation kit for you to add to, when go on your second wild camp.

Although some of what you will have removed will make its way back into your bag.

Part of the fun is working out what you need to have with you, enjoy the experience.

Good luck on your camp

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE EXERCISE SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BIT OF FUN

AdrianRose
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
How about a Czech Army Bedroll?

Lol. Sorry bit of an in joke on NB.

:)

Ade

JEEP
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Not bad, a bit "gear heavy", but not too much :)

Things I would add:
Buff or shemagh
Thin woolen beanie (yes, even for summer)
Alcohol hand sanitizer
Collon balls for tinder
Old cotton t-shirt for rags etc. (if you bring a small tin, you can even make charcloth)

Things I would remove:
The tarp
Pocket stove
Cutlery or spork
Walking poles (unless you really need them)

ADz
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
wot no food lol

Got a couple of ration packs, Plus food is on my still to get list at bottom.

Knife?

Its in the tools section.

... kitchen sink?

:D

No, I'm being cheeky as I took a lot more with me on my first wild camp.

Whatever you end up taking, a handy exercise when you get back is lay all your kit out, on say your ground sheet, remove your FAK, then separate your kit into stuff you used and stuff you didn't. Remove all the stuff you didn't use, then have a think if there is anything you did take and use, you could have done without and if there is anything that qualifies, remove that too. What remains, plus your FAK, should provide the foundation kit for you to add to, when go on your second wild camp.

Although some of what you will have removed will make its way back into your bag.

Part of the fun is working out what you need to have with you, enjoy the experience.

Good luck on your camp

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE EXERCISE SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BIT OF FUN

Indeed. however I think what I have at the moment is what I would like to take regardless of wether I use it or not but will know more once I have been a few times.

Not bad, a bit "gear heavy", but not too much :)

Things I would add:
Buff or shemagh
Thin woolen beanie (yes, even for summer)
Alcohol hand sanitizer
Collon balls for tinder
Old cotton t-shirt for rags etc. (if you bring a small tin, you can even make charcloth)

Things I would remove:
The tarp
Pocket stove
Cutlery or spork
Walking poles (unless you really need them)

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have cotton balls in my pocket stove tin. Thought they would come in handy for firelighting with my spark stick. I was also tempted to make some charcloth, will probably have a go before I leave or while im there.

I got the pocket stove prior to me deciding to get a Trangia set. I was taking both as I could make a brew on one while cooking on other ;)

The cutlery all clip together within the handle of one of them and way very little and will be my main cutlery for eating steak etc (Yes ill be taking steak :D). I got the spork as an alternative aswell as what I will use in the Trangia when stirring things as to not scratch the non-stick surface of pots.

I think I will end up having a full kit and a lightwight kit depending on location or trip.

Map and compass?

Martin

Got a OS map and compass in the handle of survival knife and offline maps on my phone (Which I have a portable power supply for now) ;)