PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu Shrimpy Forage

Ashley Cawley
14-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Just returned from lovely walk to a new cove right on my doorstep - That's what I love about Cornwall there always seems to be some new little beautiful cove or valley to explore :) ...

Click on images to enlarge.

I was out with Phil & the kids, we got stuck in to rock-pooling...

Phil gathered some Shrimp, we found some firewood & cracked on...

5246 5247

And you can definitely tell the locals apart from the emits* at the moment:

*emits is what us Cornish folk call holiday-makers

Ashley Cawley
14-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Phil might do a blog-post not sure, he has a better way with words than I ;)

paulthefish2009
14-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Ash we "emits" could always stay away if you like. not sure how the cornish economy would fare though:wink: Don't you lot ever work? (all said with tongue firmly in cheek ) Paul

jus_young
14-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Cracking shrimp you found there.

Not too sure about that car though, looks like it wouldn't go far even if he wanted it too!

Chubbs
14-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Don't you lot ever work?

Work is for people who don't know how to fish ;)

Ashley Cawley
14-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Ash we "emits" could always stay away if you like. not sure how the cornish economy would fare though:wink: Don't you lot ever work? (all said with tongue firmly in cheek ) Paul'You blagards can geroff my land!' :guns:

Martin
14-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Without wanting to get into the whole emmet/incomer debate (I'm not Cornish), the way a lot of holiday makers behave when they come here means most of us would prefer it if they stayed at home. The few quid they spend when they're here doesn't make up for the grief they cause. Grrrr!!!

Oh, and nice shrimps by the way, Ash. ;)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
14-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh, and nice shrimps by the way, Ash. ;)Phil should take credit for the Shrimp - he gathered them not me, I was far too busy being a kid shouting things like "Wow look at this starfish!" and chasing rock-gobies.

paulthefish2009
14-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Are those shrimps really prawns? Iwas only joking in my earler post,thought it wasn't well considered as soon as I pressed go but thats me all over:ashamed: No offence chaps, Paul

Martin
14-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Are those shrimps really prawns? Iwas only joking in my earler post,thought it wasn't well considered as soon as I pressed go but thats me all over:ashamed: No offence chaps, Paul

None taken mate but you should see the way they behave in the shops, in the pubs and clubs and on the roads. Just because they're on holiday...

Martin :)

jus_young
14-08-2012, 08:25 PM
None taken mate but you should see the way they behave in the shops, in the pubs and clubs and on the roads. Just because they're on holiday...

Martin :)

Yep, the Cornish just don't know how to behave when they cross the border into Devon... :p

Roadkillphil
15-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Yep! theym prawns, but Ashley will always call them shrimp... possibly due to their size!! They weren't exactly king prawns eh? Blog post coming soon....

admo919
15-08-2012, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE= The few quid they spend when they're here doesn't make up for the grief they cause. Grrrr!!!

Oh, and nice shrimps by the way, Ash. ;)

Martin[/QUOTE]

Few Quid!...... i have just come back from a week in cornwall, maybe we have a different idea about what resembles a few quid! ;)

and i have played Rugby against some Cornish sides, i shouldnt shout to loud about behaving badly when you leave your native land for a trip!....;)

(Toungue in cheek)

and yes those shrimp do look good..

Adam.

Roadkillphil
15-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Blog Post on! T^
Check out the main website or click here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wildlife/cornish-coastal-gems.html)

Cheers

Phil

Jan
23-08-2012, 11:22 AM
We caught some shrimps locally about 3 weeks ago, they were delicious.

I have yet to catch a fish to eat...... it's on my bucket list..... I am very new to, and it seems very bad, at fishing, the only thing I did catch on the hook was myself! :oops:

Chubbs
23-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi there Jan and welcome to the forum.

Any questions you have about fishing, tackle etc,etc, stick them on the forum. Plenty of us fish from time to time and are always ready to help a fellow angler.

What part of the country do you live in and what fishing do you follow, sea or freshwater. This will help us all with your questions.

Cheers Neil

Jan
23-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Neil. I live in north Cornwall.

So far I have fished at our local reservoir twice, the second time is when I ended up with a hook embedded in my hand and a quick trip to A&E to have it removed. I have sea fished off rocks three times, the last time here I was with a friend who suddenly got an onset of vertigo so he couldn't climb back up the cliff and that resulted in me having to call out the local coastguard, of which I knew 7 out of the 9 attendees.... I will never live that down!!

I'm not giving up and am going to stick a rod in the car this weekend when I am heading out for a spot of wild camping. I see there is a small lake/pond nearby .... what's the worse that can happen?! :wink:

I have been reading this forum for 2 years.... is this really only my 2nd post?

Chubbs
23-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Nice to hear from you again Jan.

I'm also in Cornwall, down here in Camborne. There are also quite a few other members from down here, along with the site owner, Ashley. When I'm out with the kids I tend to go to safer spots on the piers and jetties around Falmouth. Plenty of decent Mackerel around at the moment in a lot of places around the coast, and some sizable Bass being caught as well.