PDA

View Full Version : Stealth camping

Metal mug
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Does anyone else practice this method of camping?

Martin
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Occasionally. ;)

Martin

fish
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
allways,never had permission in my life,and itll make you more likely to not leave any evidence you were there.

jack_in_the_green
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
of course! unless you have your own woodland or pitch up on a campsite. i find that the forestry comission has the best outdoors accomodation available...

Ashley Cawley
04-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Does anyone else practice this method of camping?

I regularly wear a ghillie suit around camp. No one ever spots me...
http://catchmoreclients.com/images/field%20products/stalker_ghillie_suit_poncho.jpg

Other than that, I can't comment :(

Skate
05-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Have stealth camped many times. I find it adds a little excitement to the camp and heightens your senses. Also as has been said, encourages leaving no trace. Although I practice that pretty much where ever I go.

Metal mug
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
http://catchmoreclients.com/images/field%20products/stalker_ghillie_suit_poncho.jpg

Other than that, I can't comment :( That ghillie suit is soooooo five minutes ago. ;)

Neil1
05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Ash - when we said a night out in Sheperds Bush.......you need to get out of Cornwall more!
N

Allthegear-noidea
25-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Many many times before the sprogs came along. We'll start doing it again as soon as the little ones are old enough to be useful if we need to break camp in a hurry. Remember being woke once by a friendly deer warden in the grounds of Powderham castle years back. Only time I been spotted.

feebullet
27-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Well the un-official anthem for my nation is waltzing matilda... poaching is part and parcel of australian life in the bush. Stealth camping is only used when your poaching. The land here is pretty open to the public, if not private land holders generally don't own anything you would want to take a walk around. It sounds like a good ethic, evidence / impact free camping. Sounds clean and green, just use lead free ammunition

comanighttrain
28-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Scotland also has pretty good laws for camping - the hunting and fishing laws are a but less forthcoming though. As long as your not a complete nut (ie...setting up camp in a sheep field and letting your dog loose) then you can pretty much go and camp anywhere. Would love to go down Aussie land.... waltzing matilda is a great tune

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

Johnny Begood
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
... is there any other sort of camping. We have two dogs so often spot good little camping spots hidden away, off the beaten track while out on walks, and think, that looks like a good place, i'll have to give it a go... so i give the place a good reccy, sort out the over night case and i'm off.

GwersyllaCnau
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Other than that, I can't comment :(

YUK!! I can still smell the one I was issued

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Just popped out for a little secret squirell stealth camping. Basic set up taking about 15-20 minutes, so not super fast, but fairly well hidden.

A short clip of me getting in and out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9DFHr46U4

The chosen site before set up. There were better places, but most were on game trails, or right next to the main path.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2005.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2006.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2011.jpg

Then the poncho and scrim net go up

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2013.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2018.jpg

A little debris and foliage go on

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2029.jpg

The view from the main path, You can just make out the bungee around the support tree

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2025.jpg

Here's that bungee a little closer (plus the end of the shelter with ivy and leave litter)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2034.jpg

Leg room is good enough for me

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2038.jpg

View from inside

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2037.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2036.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2035.jpg

And the site after breaking camp

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMGP2039.jpg

klause
15-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Very good that Saint !!!

Ben Casey
15-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Looks like you had fun mate :)

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 05:21 PM
It was quite fun, was asked by some local kids if they could use it as a base, there was 3 or 4 of them running around the woods with water guns LOL.

Sleepy
15-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I was wandering round in the woods once and went to walk over a hump, I changed my mind at the last minute for some reason and went round it - I couldn't believe my eyes when it turned out to be a little tent sort of thing (about the size of yours) with an open side and a chap laying there reading a book! lucky guy!

Metal mug
15-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Great setup. :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I was wandering round in the woods once and went to walk over a hump, I changed my mind at the last minute for some reason and went round it - I couldn't believe my eyes when it turned out to be a little tent sort of thing (about the size of yours) with an open side and a chap laying there reading a book! lucky guy!

Maybe I should make some kind of framework to protect myself LOL

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Great setup. :happy-clapping:

Very good that Saint !!!

Thanks guys

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Oh and I wasn't cheating either. I took my pop can stove, meths, 90mm cooking pot, brew kit, mora, firesteel, possibles pouch, shemagh and a blanket for if it got cold. The shelter had a ground sheet too, so could have stopped out over night, sleeping in my clothes, without too much bother. A normal stealth camp for me is to arrive at dusk, set up with the last bit of light, make a brew or two, watch and listen to any wildlife around (if it's light enough that is), sleep, wake up just before day break, have another brew, then break camp to continue any activities from the previous day, such as tracking, walking, exploring etc. etc. LOL

Ben Casey
15-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh and I wasn't cheating either. I took my pop can stove, meths, 90mm cooking pot, brew kit, mora, firesteel, possibles pouch, shemagh and a blanket for if it got cold. The shelter had a ground sheet too, so could have stopped out over night, sleeping in my clothes, without too much bother. A normal stealth camp for me is to arrive at dusk, set up with the last bit of light, make a brew or two, watch and listen to any wildlife around (if it's light enough that is), sleep, wake up just before day break, have another brew, then break camp to continue any activities from the previous day, such as tracking, walking, exploring etc. etc. LOL

Sound strangely like a past life to me D

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Ahhhh the memories....I should have taken the hexy stove, ditched the groundsheet, and found a rifle from somewhere instead haha

Ben Casey
15-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Ahhhh the memories....I should have taken the hexy stove, ditched the groundsheet, and found a rifle from somewhere instead haha

Well if you had been in the RAF you could have used a broom handle :D

Sleepy
15-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe I should make some kind of framework to protect myself LOL

just make it look like a big patch of brambles, who wants to trample that? And who'd think there was someone under there!?

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I did throw a few brambles over the top LOL

Metal mug
15-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I did throw a few brambles over the top LOL So you could have blackberries for brekkie. :)

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 08:10 PM
sandly none out around there at the moment, unless the animals have eaten them all already lol

Jeime_outdoors
15-04-2011, 08:44 PM
i have never really tried it, but i like the idea of leaving no trace :D

Jeime

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 09:06 PM
i have never really tried it, but i like the idea of leaving no trace :D

Jeime

That's the key to good bushcraft though, leaving no trace you were ever there. Harder to do when you have a fire for warmth and cooking, but preparation is key. select the camp based on the ground as well as natural cover, hazards, game trails etc. It needs to be safe enough to light your fire (not peaty ground that could catch, or underground roots), a flatish, comfyish place for your bed, ideally something to support your tarp/poncho/shelter, but you can improvise with fallen branches if you need to, not in the bottom of a dip or valley (rain will collect here), not at the top of a crest or hill (the wind will take all your heat from you). Then you can get your shelter up, brush any leaf litter away or cut a square of turf out, for your fire, then you're ready to go. When you're done, make sure the ashes are cool enough to handle, scatter them to help nourish the surrounding vegetation, replace the turf, then finally brush the leaf litter back over.

Jeime_outdoors
15-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that, I try to leave no trace anyway, but the info' you gave me really helped :D

Thanks
Jeime

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Glad to be of service. i find if you hunt around for a bit, you can usually find a good spot, although it's not always easy, so you might have to improvise somewhere. As long as you keep things safe, and use your common sense, that's all that matters.

Jeime_outdoors
15-04-2011, 10:05 PM
i have a small patch of woodland behind me and don't worry im always thinking on my feet :D

Jeime

paul standley
15-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Hey Buddy I like the set-up, great looking woodland and good pics....

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Hey Buddy I like the set-up, great looking woodland and good pics....

Thanks Paul. It's Newbottle Spinney. There are some more photos of it on here somewhere LOL. It's a really nice little wood, with lots of ivy coverage on the ground to make for nice comfy sleeping.

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 08:34 AM
All my camping is stealth camping. The leave no trace is all part of it. Sorting the ashes and dog ends from the fire is usually the toughest part. I find birch bark makes a great scoop for the ash to spead it out.

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 09:48 AM
All my camping is stealth camping. The leave no trace is all part of it. Sorting the ashes and dog ends from the fire is usually the toughest part. I find birch bark makes a great scoop for the ash to spead it out.

Good tip there with the birch bark. I always like to scatter the ashes by hand, that way you know they are cold and won't catch anything like dry moss or grass, or even dry birch bark LOL. It does mean a little hand cleaning is in order though haha

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Haha, I suppose it may sound dumb. My other method is to brush the ash away with a homemade broom made out of cotton wool soaked in meths! :D

Like anything in life, a bit of common sense is needed.

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:08 AM
LOL
Very true, common sense will help you through anything.

Martin
17-04-2011, 12:37 PM
But that's the problem with common sense. It isn't very common.

Martin

RobbC
17-04-2011, 01:35 PM
But that's the problem with common sense. It isn't very common.

Martin
I find it is fairly common in the world of bushcraft to be honest.

Robb

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Robb

Really? I thought only grown ups had it?:p

Martin
17-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Robb

You'd be surprised Robb.

Martin

Tom Bombadil
17-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I enjoy a spot of sea kayaking, but has anyone at natural bushcraft ever combined paddling a small craft with stealth camping or at least as low profile as possible camping? I believe access rules to rivers in England are more restricting than they are in Scotland, but would be interested to hear if anyone has combined these two pastimes. I've seen a couple of tv programmes, such as Secret Rivers, and the one with Griff, Rory and Paddy, and wondered if the two pastimes had been combined successfully by any members? BTW, I am talking about a nice leisurely paddle along a navigable river, not white water stuff! Secret Rivers features fairly regularly on a freebie TV channel named Horse and Country (280) and visits some lovely little rivers in E.Anglia, mainly Suffolk I believe. It is hosted by Paul Heiney.:camping:

kINGPIN
17-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Funny you should say that, I have been thinking of doing just this for some time. There are some good deals on kayaks on ebay. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Tom Bombadil
17-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I enjoy a spot of sea kayaking, but has anyone at natural bushcraft ever combined paddling a small craft with stealth camping or at least as low profile as possible camping? I believe access rules to rivers in England are more restricting than they are in Scotland, but would be interested to hear if anyone has combined these two pastimes. I've seen a couple of tv programmes, such as Secret Rivers, and the one with Griff, Rory and Dara, and wondered if the two pastimes had been combined successfully by any members? BTW, I am talking about a nice leisurely paddle along a navigable river, not white water stuff! Secret Rivers features fairly regularly on a freebie TV channel named Horse and Country (280) and visits some lovely little rivers in E.Anglia, mainly Suffolk I believe. It is hosted by Paul Heiney.:camping:

swkieran
17-04-2011, 08:06 PM
you ever gone up the canal in exeter some nice spots to camp,if yer into youre kayaking stuff,and a cracking pub called double locks :)

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 08:41 PM
It's a great idea, maybe I could paint the belly og the craft flecktarn???????? use it as a shelter too then.

Martin
17-04-2011, 08:42 PM
you ever gone up the canal in exeter some nice spots to camp,if yer into youre kayaking stuff,and a cracking pub called double locks :)

Is that a euphamism? ;)

Martin

GwersyllaCnau
17-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Funny you should say that, I have been thinking of doing just this for some time. There are some good deals on kayaks on ebay. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Me too I bought my boat especially for this a venture kayaks flex 11. Only trouble is, it's bright orange, not even camo orange LOL>

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Me too I bought my boat especially for this a venture kayaks flex 11. Only trouble is, it's bright orange, not even camo orange LOL>

Is it not possible to get some form of paint for it ?

Tom Bombadil
18-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for that info swkieran. Paddling up a waterway with a pub sounds quite a relaxing change - the Bristol Channel can be a little choppy sometimes!

Yeh, my kayaks are bright red or orange, GwersyllaCnau...so I'm looking for a flourescent landscape to stealth - camp in!:D Mustn't forget my geiger-counter and NBC suit!:evilgrin:

GwersyllaCnau
18-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that info swkieran. Paddling up a waterway with a pub sounds quite a relaxing change - the Bristol Channel can be a little choppy sometimes!

Yeh, my kayaks are bright red or orange, GwersyllaCnau...so I'm looking for a flourescent landscape to stealth - camp in!:D Mustn't forget my geiger-counter and NBC suit!:evilgrin:

Did have a reply for this but it may be in bad taste LOL

Tom Bombadil
18-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Did have a reply for this but it may be in bad taste LOL

Why GwersyllaCnau, was your reply X-ray-ted?;)

GwersyllaCnau
19-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Why GwersyllaCnau, was your reply X-ray-ted?;)

Japan Tsunami related.

Tom Bombadil
19-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Japan Tsunami related.

Thought so. I nearly mentioned it, but didn't think I'd get away with it. Don't mention the core! :ashamed:

basicbushcraft
19-04-2011, 01:43 PM
many times before but just bought a woodland in scotland

so not got that promlem anymore but still go in my local woods and go all Stealth every once in a while

www.basicbushcraft.org.uk

jikido
14-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I stealth camp all the time, I am based in leeds but do regular trips to east and north yorkshire. I am getting quite a few spots tallied up. Very exciting stuff. I do not work so make my own equipment or am given it by close friends. Am alll set up with a bivi bag, bergan and hammock. Nothing better than cooking on a open fire and waking up to the birds in the morning. People paying £18± to spend a night with noisy people and stupid rule are just plain crazy. I love my set up. Its the way it should be.

jikido
14-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I am roughly getting out fortnightly. I can't wait till the winter. Its gonna be great.

garethw
14-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi there
Don't know if you can qualify what we do as 'Stealth Camping', but we hike out for an hour or two into a local forest (there are loads here in my area upto 20,000 acres in size). As the evening comes on, we just find a nice clearling with trees at good distances for out hammocks. We leave no trace, covering our fire and using the appropriate tree straps to hang on. To us it is just bivouacing out.. not really stealth campng. All summer so far we've never ecer seen a soul...
cheers
Gareth

Johnny Begood
14-08-2011, 01:41 PM
we have a rather large RSPB reserve near us with some private / syndicate fishing lakes, when i need some time alone, I get my gear together and get dropped off just as it gets dusk, head off the beaten track and head into the bushes. I've done this more than 10 times now, on some of the coldest nights to the warmest we've just had. I dig a good hole for a loo. Remove the turf for the fire, put my hammock and tarp, other than that i disturb nothing. What some people might find hard to handle is how dark and quiet it gets when you're away from the city lights, even though you can still see them reflected in the sky. Sitting by the fire listening to the quietness is great, waking up next to a lake with the birds singing, priceless. I sometimes think, i should bring some one else along to share this with... but the moment soon passes and think to myself, on my own is good! When bug-out you'd never know anyone had been there... the loo is just covered over and the fire's cleared out and the turf replaced... the sad thing is, as i walk back to my pick up point... i see where others have camped, left beer cans, crisp packets, bbq's and other rubbish... luckily, we're not all like that!..... hope i haven't waffled on too much!

Adam Savage
14-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I am roughly getting out fortnightly. I can't wait till the winter. Its gonna be great.

You're right, nothing better than cooking on orange flames, rather than blue. Just being outside with your own company is great.

Welcome to the forum jikido

Adam

jikido
14-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi there
Don't know if you can qualify what we do as 'Stealth Camping', but we hike out for an hour or two into a local forest (there are loads here in my area upto 20,000 acres in size). As the evening comes on, we just find a nice clearling with trees at good distances for out hammocks. We leave no trace, covering our fire and using the appropriate tree straps to hang on. To us it is just bivouacing out.. not really stealth campng. All summer so far we've never ecer seen a soul...
cheers
Gareth

Sounds like stealth camping to me

jikido
14-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I never ever ever ever ever leave a trace. I cook on a dakota fire, my loo is a filled in hole. My litter is taken with me, I see cans and bottles in some of my spots and often I take them too as a way of thankyou to the spot.

Metal mug
14-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I never ever ever ever ever leave a trace. I cook on a dakota fire, my loo is a filled in hole. My litter is taken with me, I see cans and bottles in some of my spots and often I take them too as a way of thankyou to the spot.Yeah I always try to take home extra rubbish if I can.

Whistle
29-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Often ... but how do you stop getting caught out by the early morning dog walkers ?!?! The dogs always find you no matter how well hidden and "stealthy"you are. Not usually a problem when they see the camera and tripod , they realize you're not a tramp/hobo just a photographer catching the golden hour . The trouble is that the best veiws/photo opportunities are not always the most remote locations . Is there any way of warding off the dogs or will i just have to break camp earlier and in the dark ???

Cheers Whistle

comanighttrain
29-10-2011, 03:01 PM
You could put something more interesting to the dog somewhere on the other side of the path from you...some fragrant meat or something, put it in a place hard for a dog to access, tied to a tree or something daft... owner will eventually drag pooch away, pooch will not be interested in you due to the prospect of food...?

Whistle
29-10-2011, 03:29 PM
You could put something more interesting to the dog somewhere on the other side of the path from you...some fragrant meat or something, put it in a place hard for a dog to access, tied to a tree or something daft... owner will eventually drag pooch away, pooch will not be interested in you due to the prospect of food...?

Hmmm ... Thanks for the thought comanighttrain , would a trail of say frankfurter slices work ? lead the dogs away from the camp and towards your baited tree ? the trouble is like Hansel and Gretel's bread crumbs it would only work with the first dog ?!?! would frankfurters be pungent enough? dont fancy having to carry sacrificial bunny out to photo shoot Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

Metal mug
29-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I must be lucky but usually dogs will just walk straight past me when I'm stealth camping. The only thing I can think of to deter them is treat dogs like bears. What I mean is that you should cook your food away from where you sleep.

Whistle
29-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I must be lucky but usually dogs will just walk straight past me when I'm stealth camping. The only thing I can think of to deter them is treat dogs like bears. What I mean is that you should cook your food away from where you sleep.

Thanks Metal mug but I've even attracted dogs from 300 yards off the the nearest path after I have arrived late , just light enough to set camp and best position for the tripod , not cooked , just boiled up for coffee and bedded down for the night . True it does not seem to happen if I tent , but tarp n' bivi look out !!!
I am resigned to breaking camp before its light enough for the dog walkers and just hope not to miss that golden opportunity before I'm packed though I will try comanighttrain's idea of baiting a false trail !!!

Cheers Whistle

Metal mug
29-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks Metal mug but I've even attracted dogs from 300 yards off the the nearest path after I have arrived late , just light enough to set camp and best position for the tripod , not cooked , just boiled up for coffee and bedded down for the night . True it does not seem to happen if I tent , but tarp n' bivi look out !!!
I am resigned to breaking camp before its light enough for the dog walkers and just hope not to miss that golden opportunity before I'm packed though I will try comanighttrain's idea of baiting a false trail !!!

Cheers WhistleThe only other thing I can think of is to surround your camp with land mines and pitfall traps. :D No idea how you'd leave though :)

Adam Savage
29-10-2011, 06:00 PM
As you may have noticed, Mr Mug isn't completely sane. :p

Martin
29-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Agreed, but we never got bothered by dogs in our camp on Dartmoor did we? I wonder how Jack managed to arrange that? :confused:

Martin

Whistle
29-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks Adam , noticed it was not a completely sensible suggestion considering we are in a lightweight camping thread hahaha manic laughter hahaha !!!

Cheers Whistle

Silverback
29-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Hmmm ... Thanks for the thought comanighttrain , would a trail of say frankfurter slices work ? lead the dogs away from the camp and towards your baited tree ? the trouble is like Hansel and Gretel's bread crumbs it would only work with the first dog ?!?! would frankfurters be pungent enough? dont fancy having to carry sacrificial bunny out to photo shoot Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

False trails generally dont work. If the dog wants to find you it will, especially a trained dog. Why do you think they train dogs to find people ? Yup you guessed it. They excel at it, its in their genes. As a hunter a dogs sense of smell is incredibly well developed so well developed in fact that they can detect hormonal and pheromonal changes and what they zone in on is the smell of you, you produce rafts of skin, release gas and pheromones and your movement creates a smell. You may be just be exceptionally smelly ........ to a dog. I've seen dogs detect people from over 500m away when the wind is in the right direction.

Think of every newspaper article you have seen that begins "person walking dog finds body of......."

What may work is for you to pee well away from your camp several times hopefully the dogs should be attracted to that rather than you.

As for the food stash I should think the foxes and other nocturnal creatures may have it away with your frankfurters

Adam Savage
29-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Agreed, but we never got bothered by dogs in our camp on Dartmoor did we? I wonder how Jack managed to arrange that? :confused:

Martin

Very true. I must admit that I have never been bothered by dogs at all, no matter where I am or what I do.

False trails generally dont work. If the dog wants to find you it will, especially a trained dog. Why do you think they train dogs to find people ? Yup you guessed it. They excel at it, its in their genes. As a hunter a dogs sense of smell is incredibly well developed so well developed in fact that they can detect hormonal and pheromonal changes and what they zone in on is the smell of you, you produce rafts of skin, release gas and pheromones and your movement creates a smell. You may be just be exceptionally smelly ........ to a dog. I've seen dogs detect people from over 500m away when the wind is in the right direction.

Think of every newspaper article you have seen that begins "person walking dog finds body of......."

What may work is for you to pee well away from your camp several times hopefully the dogs should be attracted to that rather than you.

As for the food stash I should think the foxes and other nocturnal creatures may have it away with your frankfurters

Also true, but how often do people walk trained dogs in the same place you're camping? I second the knowledge, that foxes will have any food away, if not them, the mice will. Like you say though, dogs have 220 million olfactory cells, compared to our 5 million, so they will smell it, even if we can't, but it depends if they find it interesting or not.

Whistle
29-10-2011, 07:13 PM

Yeah thanks Sapper , I understand the dog psycology now , guess I'll have to be up and about first , stop doing abandoned corpse in a plastic bag impersonations and get the shutter clicking !!! Poor Pooches only want to get a mention in the papers !!!
Joking aside perhaps the bivi bag may concentrate all those pheramones and scents and after a night stewing in my own juices its not really suprising , even though I have the army "similar to Gortex membrane" bag and it doesn't seem to stew up that badly.

Cheers Whistle

Silverback
29-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Also true, but how often do people walk trained dogs in the same place you're camping?.

I know one or two that are very active around Dartmoor ;)

Silverback
29-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah thanks Sapper , I understand the dog psycology now , guess I'll have to be up and about first , stop doing abandoned corpse in a plastic bag impersonations and get the shutter clicking !!! Poor Pooches only want to get a mention in the papers !!!
Joking aside perhaps the bivi bag may concentrate all those pheramones and scents and after a night stewing in my own juices its not really suprising , even though I have the army "similar to Gortex membrane" bag and it doesn't seem to stew up that badly.

Cheers Whistle

The bivvi bag does stew up your smells and staying in the same place for a couple of hours concentrates your smells and disturbance in that area making it even easier for the dog to find you particularly in poor wind conditions causing your scent to pool in an area. Have seen trained dogs revisit an old body location from the day before and indicate scent even when the dog hadn't worked that area before.

Metal mug
30-10-2011, 09:59 AM

MartinIt was those doggers on the hill in their tent. It distracted them. :D

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I forgot about them lol

Wrighty28
30-10-2011, 01:48 PM
just started too :)

however, question. Fires? - whats everyone's opinion on stealth camping and making small manageable fires? if you know you can get away with it safely and perhaps making wind breaks/ barriers to minimize the line of site?

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I've done it many times. As long as you clear it up after, no one need ever know

Wrighty28
30-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I've done it many times. As long as you clear it up after, no one need ever know

this was my thought. rule number 1, leave no trace. but what type of land do you tend to camp on? the main spot near me i like to use is absolutely huge. by on the main entry and exits the 'rule' list specifically states no fires. £1000 fine bla bla bla.....

comanighttrain
30-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I seen a fire that can be easily covered up on dry ground...

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-dakota-fire-hole

Wrighty28
30-10-2011, 05:29 PM

that is quite frankly, excellent.

alvino78
30-10-2011, 06:53 PM

this is a method i have tried and i must say does work well, although there were 3 of us and so we discussed and made it slightly larger, but worked a treat!!!!

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 07:06 PM
this was my thought. rule number 1, leave no trace. but what type of land do you tend to camp on? the main spot near me i like to use is absolutely huge. by on the main entry and exits the 'rule' list specifically states no fires. £1000 fine bla bla bla.....

It's the same rule as they have on Dartmoor. The way I see it (and other folk on here, that shall remain nameless), they can't exactly put up a sign saying "No Fires, unless you're really careful, leave no trace, and don't tell anyone" lol. They have to put those signs up, or kids would just set fire to everything in sight.

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 07:08 PM
this is a method i have tried and i must say does work well, although there were 3 of us and so we discussed and made it slightly larger, but worked a treat!!!!

Like you say, very effective method, and easy to clear away after. Great input alvino. :)

Wrighty28
30-10-2011, 07:12 PM
It's the same rule as they have on Dartmoor. The way I see it (and other folk on here, that shall remain nameless), they can't exactly put up a sign saying "No Fires, unless you're really careful, leave no trace, and don't tell anyone" lol. They have to put those signs up, or kids would just set fire to everything in sight.

my thoughts too. though now i have the knowledge of the dakota fire pit damn my next camp is gna be a goodun!

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 07:26 PM
look forward to hearing any tales mate.

Wrighty28
30-10-2011, 07:30 PM
look forward to hearing any tales mate.

im looking forward to a snow camp. so next time it snows im going to grab the opportunity to test some new gear around. will add to one of my thread when ive done it :)

Adam Savage
30-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea. I might have to do the same thing :). Might get some snow for my meet in a couple weeks if I'm lucky haha.

LandRoverMatt
31-10-2011, 08:42 PM
no...........
my mates auntie did some stealth mode wondering through the woods snapping twigs, we thought it was sheep.
took me another hour to get to sleep lol

cuppa joe
31-10-2011, 09:09 PM
You could walk right by and not even notice.....great set up.

paulthefish2009
01-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I sometimes enjoy a spot of stealth fishing,does that count?I occasionally like to "guest" on waters and a number of times have had people almost step on me without noticing,providing you do not move i have found the average person just will not be aware of your presence. I do set some rules,i never leave litter and the fish are always returned,no harm done.:D

Adam Savage
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't see why that can't count :). Like you say, most of the time, it's he movement that gives position away.

Silverback
01-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Shape, Shine, Silhouette.......;)

Adam Savage
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
etc, etc... lol

Silverback
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Thats another thread methinks................................. "which bits of info can you remember word for word from your military days.............which are useless to you now"

Wrighty28
01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Thats another thread methinks................................. "which bits of info can you remember word for word from your military days.............which are useless to you now"

fill me in on them I'll be learning them soon anyway!

Silverback
01-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I've never been able to forget the 4 principles of marksmanship, the 7 rules for safe handling of weapons, and the stoppage drills for umpteen weapons.....which may one day prove useful

The other thing that has stuck with me is the 'chemical safety rule' which I summise may be if little use if i ever need it

Adam Savage
01-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I've never been able to forget the 4 principles of marksmanship, the 7 rules for safe handling of weapons, and the stoppage drills for umpteen weapons.....which may one day prove useful

The other thing that has stuck with me is the 'chemical safety rule' which I summise may be if little use if i ever need it

When did you get out? Actually, don't answer here, I fear we may have gone massively :off-topic: already lol.
Better wait for if/when said thread be started :ashamed:

Metal mug
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
When did you get out? Actually, don't answer here, I fear we may have gone massively :off-topic: already lol.
Better wait for if/when said thread be started :ashamed:Have you started it yet?

Silverback
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Have you started it yet?

Nope

Metal mug
02-11-2011, 04:05 PM

fill me in on them I'll be learning them soon anyway!

Better wait for if/when said thread be started :ashamed:

Have you started it yet?

NopeHere you go a thread :) http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2209-Military-zone&p=27574#post27574

Silverback
02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
sorry for hi jacking the thread.....so to get it back on topic (so to speak) The rules of camouflage and why things are seen are relevant to stealth camping ie orange vs green and that age old tent/kit discussion - you want to blend in but need to get noticed in an emergency.

And yes my name is Sapper and Im a stealth camper, there Im out of the closet........;)

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I know. get a tent with an orange inner, and an olive green fly :) That way you can just pull the outer off in an emergency.

Silverback
02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I know. get a tent with an orange inner, and an olive green fly :) That way you can just pull the outer off in an emergency.

Green tarp, green hammock, hi viz vest......

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 08:21 PM
That would be a more sensible idea lol. I normally keep a vissi vest in my pack, but more in case I have to walk along a roadside.

treefrog
02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think we have much stealth camping going on here in Canada; sounds intriguing....:confused2:

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think we have much stealth camping going on here in Canada; sounds intriguing....:confused2:

Am I right in thinking you have the right to camp anywhere (within reason) in Canada?

treefrog
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Am I right in thinking you have the right to camp anywhere (within reason) in Canada?

Well I suppose you'd get some strange looks if you set up in a city park or some such place, but there's the other few million hectares
of crown wilderness to choose from where all are quite welcome to camp.

Adam Savage
02-11-2011, 11:53 PM
LOL. Very true buddy.
If you can camp in all the good places anyway, then I guess there isn't much need for stealth camping. Unless you found a great spot on private land.

treefrog
03-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I bet I could set some sort of stealth camping world record. If I walked about 2km east from our back door and set up a tent, I can pretty much guarantee not a single person would find me for at least a year, maybe several years. I might need help making up a kit list for this one...:camping:

Adam Savage
03-11-2011, 12:54 AM
If you can do it, and want to do it, go for it bud. I'm sure you would set a record, and could even sell your story to the press, become famous, start your own series, etc :)

Silverback
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Well I suppose you'd get some strange looks if you set up in a city park or some such place, but there's the other few million hectares
of crown wilderness to choose from where all are quite welcome to camp.

Unlike you, every scrap of land (in general) in England is owned by someone and as such you need permission to camp - hence 'stealth' camping

GwersyllaCnau
03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Unlike you, every scrap of land (in general) in England is owned by someone and as such you need permission to camp - hence 'stealth' camping

And these days it seems that if the government can see a blade of grass they'll put a building on it. Even my local woods is owned by a trust (Troserch woods) and camping is not allowed there.... many nights spent in there learning to perfect my stealth camping lol.

paulthefish2009
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
It's the same with most rivers as well hence "stealth fishing"

GwersyllaCnau
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
It's the same with most rivers as well hence "stealth fishing"

Poaching? LOL

paulthefish2009
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Poaching!!:confused: I like to call it guesting, i always put em back, i do agree with everyone on here that providing you respect your enviroment etc etc there is no harm done.I would be interested to hear from the ex professional members on here some hints and tips on remaining unobserved,i do understnd about no straight lines in nature and sign and shine etc but is there anything else i should know?

Reaps72
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Poaching!!:confused: I like to call it guesting, i always put em back, i do agree with everyone on here that providing you respect your enviroment etc etc there is no harm done.I would be interested to hear from the ex professional members on here some hints and tips on remaining unobserved,i do understnd about no straight lines in nature and sign and shine etc but is there anything else i should know?

With Paul on this not being ex-mil, tips & tricks would be helpful?

Adam Savage
03-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Technically, we aren't at liberty to divulge any information, but concealment is all pretty basic stuff. Most of it is visual, a lot of it is audible, and a little of it is odour related :). Movement is the biggest factor, as even the best camouflaged person or vehicle, can be seen when it starts to move. I'm sure there is loads of info, already on google about it.

dean442
29-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Totally agree mate

FishyFolk
29-03-2013, 09:47 PM
When you live in a country where you can call the police on a land owner that wants to throw you off his land, it's kind of not necessary :-)

owen
13-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Shape, Shine, Silhouette.......;)
OMG takes me back to army cadets... LOL.

Tigger004
13-04-2013, 08:44 PM
This is my main form of activity, but I would prefer to be legal

Fellows
13-04-2013, 08:47 PM
New Forest, with a bergen and a pushbike, great ingredients for a weekend

OakAshandThorn
13-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm very glad folks on here are open to discussing stealth camping. On Bushcraft USA, a "What is Stealth Camping" thread was closed because one of the mods determined the practice to be outright illegal, and that "we don't discuss illegal activities on this forum" - total ignorance :(.
In my region, there is pretty much nowhere one can camp-out for a few days without contacting the landowner beforehand. That's usually not much of a problem, but hardly anyone here owns more than 5 acres of space (except for large organizations). Much of my area is dominated by parks (most are state-owned, a few are city-owned) - getting permission to stealth camp in a state park will never happen, and is considered "illegal" unless you use one of the camping locations marked on the map. The problem, though, is that these sites are often in horrible condition (unless the rangers enforce the rules) and are too close to trails. Fires are typically banned in Connecticut state parks, unless you use a fire pit at a camp site - which means you probably have to acquire a camping permit to camp there and therefore use the fire pit.
City parks, however, can be a lot different - you may get permission from whomever runs the park, or you may not. If you stealth camp without permission, you could end up being ticketed and-or fined for 'trespassing', depending on the city.
In the Catskills of New York, you can stealth camp anywhere you want and have a fire below 3500 ft (though both camping and fires are permitted above 3500 from mid-October to mid-March) for 3 days before you'd have to contact a ranger station to acquire a permit - I'm envious...

Tigger004
14-04-2013, 07:39 AM
New Forest, with a bergen and a pushbike, great ingredients for a weekend

Sounds Perfect to me, lucky you

Fellows
14-04-2013, 09:37 PM
"lucky you"

Im always up for a jaunt in the woods with the bikes if anyon's up for it.

You have to setup camp later into dusk as you can imagine but its amazing how useful some camo netting in your bag is on trips like that!!

rodger55@blueyonder.co.uk
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I do it all the time. Be sensible with it and you won't have a problem.

El
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I would never stealth camp :jumping-joy:

Old Guard
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM

LIKE IT (a lot) :happy-clapping:

El
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Thank you Old Guard ;)

snowleopard
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM

:jumping-joy::jumping-joy:

Tigger004
02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Surprising how you can disappear, but only from Humans...87988799

shepherd
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
This is my main form of activity, but I would prefer to be legal

+1... it helps if you can befriend local rangers/wardens etc... i find as long as they dont own the land themselves but are incharge of taking care of it they will let you camp as long as they know you wont leave any trace. one ranger in particular local to me will let certain people camp - as long as you dont go shouting about it .. but wont even consider listening to people he doesnt know ask to camp. he has had alot of trouble with people camping without permission and leaving huge messes like rubbish, disposable bbqs etc..

El
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Yep leave no trace , I have found some great out of the way spots which have been ruined by campers leaving lots of rubbish , plastic bottles, empty cans throw away bbqs, burnt logs and even burnt trees.

Pete11
17-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Being in Scotland, we're fortunate with having Freedom to Roam, as long as common sense is employed. Even so I still like to be able to merge into the fauna. Done a few camps down South ( Stonehenge/ New Forest area ) all were stealth, in fact , one time we had pitched in an area that was Trust/Heritage land ,honest we never knew Gov' , until we had left and checked a map ! I always relate that we (mostly) wild camp to get away from society, so stealth, even in Scotland makes a lot of sense to me. No point in advertising your presence if you want to be undisturbed and appreciate Nature.

Pete

hedgemumper
17-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Good stuff Pete, I love a bit of wild camping so long as like you mentioned "common sense is employed" tis the best way I reakon to get right in there amongst the wildlife so long as you leave no trace...
I've wild camped all over the place, once while cycling in Ireland I stealth camped in a rugby stadium in an almighty thunderstorm...! But some of my best camps have been up the woods not an hours walk from my home in Dawlish...

Rasputin
20-07-2013, 08:03 PM
My favorite pastime, but leave no trace is the mantra, always. I mainly use forestry commision land because I figure I part own it anyway as its bought and run with our taxes. Ken

Tigger004
21-07-2013, 07:36 AM
I don't know how many of you do or have heard of Geocaching, but it's well worth checking that when stealth camping you are not in a great little hidey hole that has a geocache in it or nearby.
On my last stealth camp I had several visitors hone straight in on me,
I thought it was a bit strange and all were cagey, (that's the idea of geocaching though), turned on the garmin 550 and hey presto, time to up and move. Because I dropped in at dusk I hadn't seen previous visits.
"Lesson learnt"

Adam Savage
21-07-2013, 09:15 AM
It's all good checking for geocache locations, but how many websites would you need to check? I think you were incredibly unlucky to pick the same coords as a cache. That's gotta be a 1:1,000,000 chance :D

OakAshandThorn
21-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Geocaching is becoming very popular in the US. The park across the street has 2 cache sites, both of which I have been to - I assisted some woman in finding them because her GPS was giving her trouble :).

21-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Hi guys
Scuse me for being a bit dim but what is a geocache?

ADz
21-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi guys

http://bit.ly/1bD3y2F

;)

Tigger004
21-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Firstly you're not dim, I didn't have a clue two years ago

Typically they are little containers that have a log book and other items in, which are hidden and the exact co-ordinates entered on a web site for people to find with the aid of a satnav type device (iphone etc) I have found them up snowdon, in Dubai, Italy etc

Very very popular all over the world, My 11 year old daughter hid a small rabbit (stuffed toy) in a wilkco srew top cup and attached a travel bug, we were getting photos of it by email with national landmarks in the piccy, it's now touring Austrailia and we have photos of it in parks, airports and Sydney harbour

Great for getting lazy kids into the country, one morning us and two other unknown families were looking for the same cache at the same time, what are the odds on that. I didn't know it was so popular.
see www.geocaching.com

Rasputin
21-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi guys

I dont see how not knowing somthing makes you dim Rodger,after all I suspect that 90% of people dont know a flemmish bond from 007,lol it just means you havnt encountered it. I see Tigger 004 has answered it for you so I need not say more A T B, Ken

22-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks Tigger, sounds like a ball. I may try to get my grandson interested in it.
And thanks to you too Rasputin, Clearly a proper brickie

Rasputin
22-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks Tigger, sounds like a ball. I may try to get my grandson interested in it.
And thanks to you too Rasputin, Clearly a proper brickie

Laid a few in my time, but not a proper brickie. Jack of all trades - mastered a few. lol. ATB

23-07-2013, 07:24 AM
45 years as a brickie for me last 5 to go, can't wait !

Pete11
23-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Weird, I am also a Time Served Bricklayer, I came off the tools 21 yrs ago mind you.

ADz
14-09-2013, 11:35 PM
It's all good checking for geocache locations, but how many websites would you need to check? I think you were incredibly unlucky to pick the same coords as a cache. That's gotta be a 1:1,000,000 chance :D

There is a dedicated geocache app on Android, not sure about iOS.

Midge_Fodder
17-02-2014, 07:10 PM
To be honest I never have to stealth camp, joys of the open access code. I find a crook given to a land owner helps. I know I have a right to camp where I want (in reason) and I practice LNT, but a thank you gift for hospitality never goes too far wrong.