PDA

View Full Version : What hammock do you use and why?

Jefferson
25-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi i am currently an owner of a DD camping hammock and DD tarp which i bought to see if swinging in the trees is for me.
It most certainly is and now i have decided to upgrade to a better hammock so i can now let my brothers and friends try using a hammock too..

I have currently been looking at Hennessy Hammocks and also Warbonnet Blackbirds.. The problem i am having is pictures don't really help me decide what i want, so i thought i would use some good knowledge from people who are not trying to sell them to me..

So the big questions are...
What hammock do you use and why?
What tarp do you use?
and finally what is your favorite set up?

Cheers Dave! :campfire:

Shewie
25-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I've been using a Blackbird for the last couple of years, I've got so used to having the footbox and shelf that I've used it through winter too.

The only experience I've had of a Hennessy was the little Expedition Asym, it was comfy enough but just too small for me and I'm only 5' 10". That was around five years ago before we had any underquilt options over here, the bottom entry was a bit of a faff with a mat etc. I'd like to try a bigger one with the side entry one day but I still prefer a Blackbird given the choice.

Tarp wise I use a camo Superfly for winter, for summer it's a Hammock Gear cuben fiber 4S, a no brainer at around 200g kitted out.

I'm in south Leeds if you ever want to look at one before you buy. Have you checked out Hammockforums yet? There's loads of good pics and videos of most hammocks on there.

Cuben tarp and Blackbird on a recent trip ..
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/Shewie01/Dutch%20in%20Scotland/ShewiesSetupP.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/Shewie01/Dutch%20in%20Scotland/IslandCamp2P.jpg

Camo Superfly ..
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/Shewie01/Quoich%20and%20Lui%20Water%20Feb%202012/P1000253P.jpg

Richie
25-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I have the DD traveller and Frontline but no experience of other makes. That said, I wouldn't be looking to try others as I'm very happy with DD so far.
I also use DD Camo tarp, 3x3 and the XL. Both my daughters (9 and 12) use the frontline too and this is where the XL tarp comes in useful. I can get them both under the same tarp if suitable trees can be found.

Jefferson
26-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that Shewie its a real help.. il check out that website now and see what i can find too.. oh brilliant so your not too far away from me in York.. if the Hennessy is a bit small for you i will make sure that i will get a large one, well that's if i decide to go with Hennessy. yeah i dont think i am too keen on the bottom entry as i do like to use my thermarest as iv not yet upgraded to a under blanket..

Yeah im very happy with my DD products too Richie just i fancy trying a different brand now.. although i am tempted to just go with DD again

Kernowek Scouser
26-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I've got a DD Frontline and it is grand. Had a go in a Hennessy and it was grand, had a butchers at a warbonnet (but sadly didn't get a go) and it looked grand.

I am sure there are plenty of rubbish hammocks out there, but so far in my limited experience of swinging, I've managed to avoid them.

In addition to the above, I would add UK Hammocks (http://ukhammocks.co.uk/) and Tenth Wonder (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Hammocks) to your considerations, (although the latter's site is offline until Sept) as a few folks here and elsewhere rate them.

Good Luck,

Colin

moontanboy
26-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Whatever you get make sure it's breathable ! I got an amazonas mosquito traveller, it's very good, very cheap but the only slight drawback is it's not breathable so if
I use a warm sleeping bag for the conditions the bag can be a bit moist due to condensation not evaporating through. I will probably try making a hammock and some point after doing a bit of research on ripstop nylon etc,,

jus_young
26-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Always used a DD as it seemed to be the most popular and widely recognised one when I was considering my purchase. It is very good and I can't say that I have had a bad nights sleep in it but had I known a little more about other options out there and considered the weight and bulk a little more, my choice may have been different. The DD Frontline and Travel hammocks are bulky, and therefore heavy, due to to their construction and heavy bug nets. This makes them very sturdy and good quality bits of kit but take up a hell of a lot of space in the pack. I am now considering purchasing a lighter and smaller (packed size) hammock & tarp, possibly from Tenth Wonder or Snugpak although all options will be considered. It definately has to have a bug net!

AdrianRose
26-08-2012, 10:10 PM
It has to be the DD Frontline for me. I've used them for a good long while now, both the 2010 and the 2012 versions.

Never had a bad nights sleep and simplicity itself to set up.

Although in the interest of fairness and equality I have never tried any other brand so I have no basis for comparison.

Ade

Jefferson
27-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Cheers guys, its always good to know so many other peoples opinions.. Its also good to know that although DD are well priced but still very good quality..
Thanks Collin I will have a look at them sites hoefully i will get some what near my decison with them..
As Jus young says i will way up my pros and cons with each one and try and get my weight down without hindering my comfort.

alvino78
27-08-2012, 04:36 PM
tried hennessy but prefer the dd's got three of them now and two tarps never let me down comfy as....!!!

allytk
27-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I use my TTTM hammock mostly as I find it has a lovely lay. Also have a dd frontline that I use from time to time. Frontline is good with a srl, feel its hard to lay flat otherwise. Also have srl on my TTTM

jus_young
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Tenth Wonder are back from holiday and trading again here (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Hammocks)

GwersyllaCnau
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
For the past year I have been using the Hennessy explorer. It's a great hammock, but I just could not get comfy in it, my feet always felt squashed. Maybe I'm too tall for this hammock and should have bought the explorer deluxe being 5'9", my son finds his explorer really comfy.
I have recently tried a snugpak jungle hammock and immediately found that to be comfortable, this prompted me to buy the DD frontline, and although at the moment only having layed in it for 10 minutes, it is an amazingly comfortable hammock and the build quality even compared to the hennessy is amazing.

TreeCamper
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
For the past year I have been using the Hennessy explorer. It's a great hammock, but I just could not get comfy in it, my feet always felt squashed. Maybe I'm too tall for this hammock and should have bought the explorer deluxe being 5'9", my son finds his explorer really comfy.
I have recently tried a snugpak jungle hammock and immediately found that to be comfortable, this prompted me to buy the DD frontline, and although at the moment only having layed in it for 10 minutes, it is an amazingly comfortable hammock and the build quality even compared to the hennessy is amazing.

Sometimes if your feet are getting squashed it means you need to lower your hammock at the head end so you dont slide down and put pressure on your feet. Just try setting up with the head end a bit lower about 6inches should be good.

fish
02-09-2012, 07:20 AM
why has no one mentioned ukhammocks? i have been talking with the proprietor about a custom hammock to my specs and the company appears to be very good ,designes are good and a few very good reviews on yt.

jus_young
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Kernow mentioned UK Hammocks, and I have often looked at their site as they carry some good gear including DIY items.

I had a good look at their hammocks at the Wilderness Gathering last year and was quite impressed but the prices are somewhat higher than other manufacturers which, in these cash strapped times, will obviously be a big factor when choosing your hammock. They are definately a viable option though and also carry the Warbonnet hammocks just to make the decision harder.

Shewie
02-09-2012, 10:01 AM
why has no one mentioned ukhammocks? i have been talking with the proprietor about a custom hammock to my specs and the company appears to be very good ,designes are good and a few very good reviews on yt.

Mats work is top drawer Justin, you'll not be disappointed

fish
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Mats work is top drawer Justin, you'll not be disappointed

good to hear,just sold my bike on ebay and will be buying 6 hammocks!

jus_young
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Been playing with the DD Hammock this afternoon trying different ridge line lengths to see if it could get any more comfortable. Strangely I ended up back where I started! I never found it uncomfortable to be honest but having just guessed the length of the line in the past, I was interested to see what impact a few tweeks would have. What I did find was that just by altering the length of any ridge line by just 2 inches can make a huge difference in how any pleats form and create pressure points.

Also made a few alterations to the DIY underquilt. Its now quicker to set up and lays much better under the hammock for that lovely toastie feeling :o

mark
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I have the dd frontline. Reed a review from a chap 6'4" and 19 stone. He loved and if it fitted him then me at 6'2" and 18 stone and fit to.

alvino78
04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Been playing with the DD Hammock this afternoon trying different ridge line lengths to see if it could get any more comfortable. Strangely I ended up back where I started! I never found it uncomfortable to be honest but having just guessed the length of the line in the past, I was interested to see what impact a few tweeks would have. What I did find was that just by altering the length of any ridge line by just 2 inches can make a huge difference in how any pleats form and create pressure points.

Also made a few alterations to the DIY underquilt. Its now quicker to set up and lays much better under the hammock for that lovely toastie feeling :o
any pics of your diy quilt?

jus_young
04-09-2012, 09:07 PM
any pics of your diy quilt?

Its all in here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2777-DIY-underquilt-project&highlight=underquilt) :)

Jefferson
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I ended getting a hennessy explorer deluxe a-sym.. i wanted the the zip side entry but they send the velco bottom entry.. i have tried it out and i am glad they sent the bottom entry, it is surprisingly easier to get in and out, even with a sleeping mat.. but i not to sure how a under quilt would work... thanks for everyone's comments and information it has really helped.
Cheers Dave

alvino78
11-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Its all in here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2777-DIY-underquilt-project&highlight=underquilt) :)
cheers

fish
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
i decided on a ukhamocks woodsman x double,with custom specs and a standard double for mrs fish,the kids get the scout each! so i am eagerly awaiting the postie!

matt is a top chap to deal with,may not be the cheapest but the service and help alone is priceless.