PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars and Monoculars

comanighttrain
02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Can anyone give me some recommendations on these? like where's best to buy from?

Currently looking for a monocular that would be good for spotting wildlife and looking for interesting terrain features when out and about?

JEEP
02-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I am personally quite fond of Vortex Optics

I have a Solo 8x36; http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-solo-8x36-monocular

And a Diamondback 8x42; http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-8x42-binocular

Both are very good at their respective price point.

comanighttrain
02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Jeep - I'll need to do some reading i think so I can understand the numbers

JEEP
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
The basics are:

The first number is the magnification, the most common being 8x and 10x. The larger the number the higher the magnification - but, also smaller field of view and lesser light transmission.

The latter number is the front oculars, which determines light transmission and, to some extent, field of view. A larger number means a better light transmission and a slightly bigger field of view (field of view varies greatly from brand/model to brand/model though). But, a larger number also means a bigger and heavier set of binoculars to haul around.

A 8x42 is a good overall standard, it is fairly small in size and not too heavy. A lot of hunters use 8x42
10x42 brings you closer to the target, but due to the smaller field of view, it is less comfortable to look through (feels more "shaky") - and is is not as suitable for low light conditions as the 8x42. A lot of birdwatchers prefer 10x42.
If you want more light you can "upgrade" to 8x50 or 10x50 - but at a price of higher weight and larger size.
If size and weight is a major issue, you can go for a 8x36 or 10x36 - but the light transmission in either is not very good, making them less versatile than the slightly larger/heavier x42
If you are going to use your binoculars on the water you need one with a large field of view, due to the movements caused by the water. Not bigger than 8x, ideally 7x or 7.5x

Peaks
02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi, I bought an Opticron 8x32 LE about 12 months ago - am really pleased with it for size, weight and image quality. Waterproof + good warranty.

Its about halfway down the page on the link
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/opticron_binos/opticron_monoc_fs.htm

More info here
http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info-30348.html

Binoculars
I've found the these to be very good for the price - check the reviews via google
http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-10x42-waterproof-fogproof-binoculars-ref-7day1042?q=binoculars&sl=sl

And these : http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/Optical_Hardware_Visionary_Wetland_Series.html

If you are just getting into binocs, the 7day shop ones are excellent for the price and really do out perform a lot of others - but they are not compact.

HTH

JonnyP
02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Some good info there..
It all comes down to what you want the bins for though (there is wildlife watching and there is wildlife watching). If you want to watch birds flying, for example, you will need a larger front lense so you will see more of an area around the bird, so you won't lose it when it changes direction. That make sense..?
The down side of having a larger front lense, means larger and weighty bins..
Compromise is often called for and as Jeep says 8 to 10 x 42 is a popular size for many.
I just make do with an old pair of Tasco 10x25's which are very shaky, so I often need a rest or support, but they fit in my pocket or pack well.
I also keep a momocular in the landy, but thats even worse and only good for a quick look at something.

If you want to spend a lot of time looking through lenses, get good quality gear, to ease eye strain. If you are just going to be using them occasionally, then there are many decent cheap ones, and I agree that the 7 days shop ones are OK. My boy has some..

paulthefish2009
03-09-2012, 07:37 AM
I use a pair of tasco@s as well,think mine are 8x40,had them years,tough as old boots. I also have a spotting scope(bit of a twicher... sorry)there 15-45x65 so quite powerfull,used with a tripod.

comanighttrain
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys! Hmm.. I'll need to think on this... I might try a cheaper or second hand model first and if it seems right upgrade later

Might try evilbay

Silverback
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys! Hmm.. I'll need to think on this... I might try a cheaper or second hand model first and if it seems right upgrade later

Might try evilbay

Mrs got me a pair of wartime german bins from the charity shop for £3 bit of a tidy up and service and good as new ! Use them for spotting dog handlers on training and assessment as well as on the rescue stuff. have a punt you never know your luck

ANGOF
03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I use an old pair of Komz 8x30, fantastic lenses and can be picked up on the evilbay for around £25-£30 squid.
LINK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-KOMZ-BINOCULARS-MADE-IN-THE-USSR-8X30-BNU4-EX-RUSSIAN-MILITARY-1978-/271045391110?pt=UK_Photography_Binoculars_Monocula rs&hash=item3f1b907306#ht_1615wt_1186)

AL...
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I use a pair of Praktica 10x32 I got from Cashconverters for £25 Well happy with them They are bomb proof lol
I have nothin to do with the shop other than lookin for a bargen now and again.

Cheers
AL

David_JAFO
04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
hello,
I was reading your post last night. I had to go look out my notebook of
business addresses. Here's one you may find of interest-
http://www.claritas-online.co.uk/index.htm
Covers a wide range of Binoculars & Navigational Aids. Might be of interest
to other forum members also?
Regards
David

Phineas
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Can anyone give me some recommendations on these? like where's best to buy from?

Currently looking for a monocular that would be good for spotting wildlife and looking for interesting terrain features when out and about?

Hi,

if you want to know about optics have a look here:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Be warned though, there is a baffling array of info and opinions. But if you have a good read i think it will point you in the right direction and help you get the best you can afford. Do search in the forums there for monocular, see what it brings up.

I'm a birdwatcher and I have tried loads of binoculars and telescopes over the years and there's two things I would recommend you do.
The first is you need to decide how much you want to spend
The second is try as many different monocular/ binoculars before you decide on which one to buy. That is, don't just buy one from the 'net. Get yourself into some shops and try them for yourself. I say this because the way binoculars fit your face and hands is as important as how good the view is. If they're not right, it doesn't matter if the view is amazing because you wont enjoy it because you wont be able to see the whole view because the eye relief doesn't allow you to see the whole view or because you can't hold the bins steady because they don't fit your hands or are too heavy.

If you let me know how much your willing to spend, I'll try to make some suggestions as to what is good for the money.

Best wishes
Phineas

Tigger004
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Bit out of the box, but ever thought of a compact camcorder, great zoom, often night vision and you can record stuff too! I use an old Sony Handycam with a small DVD disc in, It's great but might not be what floats your boat, just thought i'd mention it, cheers, Tiggs

comanighttrain
07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks Lads!

Phineas - I'll take you up on the suggestions when I come up with a budget!

Tigger004 - Actually yes. NV would also be useful as a lot of interesting things happen at night!

comanighttrain
13-09-2012, 09:13 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001M3612/ref=pe_52721_31845071_pe_epc_dt5

Would these be any good? 8x40 and olympus

comanighttrain
13-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Scratch that, not waterproof

Phineas
13-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I take it your looking for bins rather than a monocular, then, and your budget is £50 ish?
And something around 8x40 and waterproof.

I've got to emphasise that you really should try before you buy. Do you have any decent shops near you?

comanighttrain
13-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I take it your looking for bins rather than a monocular, then, and your budget is £50 ish?
And something around 8x40 and waterproof.

I've got to emphasise that you really should try before you buy. Do you have any decent shops near you?

Mono or Bino...they each have their respective advantages I guess.

I just clocked those were on sale at a good price - I guess we have a few shops here i could try

Phineas
14-09-2012, 05:09 PM
How about Opticron Savanna WP 8x30 or 6x30.

The 8x might be a little dim on overcast days or at dawn and dusk but my Dad uses the very similar Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 and has never complained about them. He likes them a lot. They are very light and small so good for long walks or backpacking.

Opticron are a good British brand with excellent guarantees and customer service. Have a look at their other stuff. They have monoculars too.

Phineas
14-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Just thought of something. Do you wear glasses? If so you'l be needing something with long eye-relief. Most glasses wearers need something over 16mm. Again, what you need in terms of this can only be worked out by trying as many different models as you can before deciding.

Phineas
14-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 is getting rave reviews by the optics obsessives on Birdforum. They are apparently way way better than their price would indicate. Extremely good value for money. I haven't tried them myself but the people on Birdforum really know their optics.

comanighttrain
14-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Just thought of something. Do you wear glasses? If so you'l be needing something with long eye-relief. Most glasses wearers need something over 16mm. Again, what you need in terms of this can only be worked out by trying as many different models as you can before deciding.

Sorry for the late replies dude! Work was mad.

No glasses thankfully!

Phineas
14-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi,

your in box is full. I've got a message for you.

Cheers,
P.

comanighttrain
14-09-2012, 10:34 PM
hey should be space now dude

Phineas
16-09-2012, 05:41 AM
I don't know how much you know about binoculars but there ia a good page on the Opticron website that explains the basics:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/chooser_guides.htm

Jason
23-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for sharing !! good advice !!

Phineas
23-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for sharing !! good advice !!

You're welcome. I know how easy it is to buy the wrong optics and be put off them for life. But if you choose the right ones, bins (or a scope) completely open up the landscape and its wildlife to you. I feel naked without them and I know I'm missing so much by not having them with me.

comanighttrain
16-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Well I had this on the backburner while taking a sober look at my finances... girlfriend got me a set of 10*42 Bushnell waterproof binos for my birthday... had a short muck about with them last night and I was actually surprised by how much more detail I could get with them... Can't wait to get them out proper!