PDA

View Full Version : made my first 2 hobo stoves 2day

swkieran
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
;) i was a little bit bored earlier so i decided to make a pop can stove,while i had the drill and tools out,i noticed a full size dog tin so i cleaned it out and made a stove,its a bit rough and ready but its my first time and it does work suprisingly well :campfire:

bigzee
24-02-2011, 10:37 PM
The best solutions are often the simplest.

If in doubt
make it stout
out of things you know about

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 01:19 PM
just made my first today too, works a treat and no need to carry fuel with you. also makes a great hand warmer for the next hour or two once it has burnt out.

It wasn't as wonky as it looks in the pics, think thats the lens distortion

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 02:25 PM
just made my first today too, works a treat and no need to carry fuel with you. also makes a great hand warmer for the next hour or two once it has burnt out.

It wasn't as wonky as it looks in the pics, think thats the lens distortion

Looks good I will have to try one soon :)

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Looks good I will have to try one soon :)

It does the job, I used one of those large coffee cans you get at a cash n carry type place. Also I would suggest, rather than cutting a rectangle for the opening, mark the four corners and join them diagonally with two long cuts, then bend them over inside the can, this gives nice smooth edges. I found it was needed as when I was feeding the fire, I slightly burnt my finger and the instant reaction is to pull your hand out quick. Not good if you catch it on a razor blade on the way out haha

Martin
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Looking good there Crazysaint222. Reminds me that it's probably time to break out my Bushbuddy next time we go out. Has been a long winter and been looking forward to using this as my sole means of cooking. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks Martin. After my Dartmoor trip has been dealt with, I hope to get to a wooded area with my hammy and tarp to use this or maybe a slightly revised version.

Adam

Martin
12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Great idea. I tried to use my Bushbuddy stove on Dartmoor in November. What a nightmare, trying to find decent dry wood. In the end, I was glad I took my MSR Pocket Rocket stove as a back up. Having said that, I did manage to get the bushbuddy going and, in a dire emergency, I guess I could have made it work for me.

Martin

Adam Savage
13-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Just got a so called casserole dish from that wonderful bushcraft supplier poundland, to use as a pot for my wood burner. Found it fits nice and tight on the rim of the burner so made it into a kind of oven for that sits under the stove. Punched a hole in the base centre of the stove, popped in a removable steel tube so any pressure can escape, and here it is. Plan on testing it in the near future to see how well it performs (if at all lol) so will keep you all posted.

bigzee
13-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Keep at it fella! I like your diagonal cut/bend tip. I notice you put the side hole reasonably high, so you can feed it, but it will not spill out embers (like my current experiment does DOH!)
Skintcrafters of the world unite!!

Adam Savage
13-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Keep at it fella! I like your diagonal cut/bend tip. I notice you put the side hole reasonably high, so you can feed it, but it will not spill out embers (like my current experiment does DOH!)
Skintcrafters of the world unite!!

We are leading the way in hobological advancement techniques in the skintcrafting world.
'And yes, the higher, smooth edge, feeding aperture seems to work well, but maybe a couple small holes punched below it to help ventilation on the revised model.

bigzee
13-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah, bottom venting (ooh matron!) is simple enough. I tend to get the short awl out and punch 2 or 3 lines of holes concentrically round the base of the tin. Tedious, but doesn't require a power tool so you can watch telly...eerr..I mean chat round the fire while yer doin' it. The all important updraught!

They might make fun,
Of tin-men tinkerers,
But when the power's down
they'll have a drink on us!

paul standley
13-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Nice one crazysaint - nice to see skintcarfting gaining momentum. I like the tube vent idea you'r using, interested to see how it performs in the field.

I'm working on an idea for a lightweight base camp oven using 3 quality street tins for the fire box, oven and bottom ember tray with a few soup cans butted together for a chimney/flue.

paul standley
13-03-2011, 09:49 PM
;) i was a little bit bored earlier so i decided to make a pop can stove,while i had the drill and tools out,i noticed a full size dog tin so i cleaned it out and made a stove,its a bit rough and ready but its my first time and it does work suprisingly well :campfire:

Got any pics ?

Adam Savage
13-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice one crazysaint - nice to see skintcarfting gaining momentum. I like the tube vent idea you'r using, interested to see how it performs in the field.

I'm working on an idea for a lightweight base camp oven using 3 quality street tins for the fire box, oven and bottom ember tray with a few soup cans butted together for a chimney/flue.

Thanks, thinking of actually cutting the vent tube from the lower oven, a little shorter, so I can still pop the kettle or pot on top, bake some spuds in the bottom and have a brew or seven while you wait lol

Adam Savage
13-03-2011, 11:37 PM
forgot to add, I will be looking forward to this Quality Str-ove taking shape, maybe we should think of a brand name for all this kit :)

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Tested the "Woodpoor" oven/stove/kettle BTC (bush-tucker-combi), today.

First up, dug my pot pit, placed pot in pit, put spuds in pot, put stove on pot, loaded stove with kindling (no need for tinder, as this was a test I cheated and used a gas match), lit the stove, placed large camp kettle (containing 1.5L of the clear stuff)onto stove, sat back and waited.

After 40 minutes I stopped fuelling the stove and let the fill burn down fully, twenty minutes later I lifted the stove and kettle from the pot, loe and behold I had two half baked/half boiled spuds to munch. they had sweated inside the oven and the lower portion was sat in the fluids as they cooked. still...tasted ok and were well and truly hot enough.

So one hour and a couple brews showed me I need a rack to place in the oven and maybe 10-20 minutes extra to crisp the skins a little more. Not too bad for a first attempt.:shocked:

Martin
14-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Nice one Adam, it's great to see these ideas coming to fruition. Trial and error is a great way to see if something is going to work. Maybe some way of venting the steam would have helped to crisp the spuds??

Martin

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Nice one Adam, it's great to see these ideas coming to fruition. Trial and error is a great way to see if something is going to work. Maybe some way of venting the steam would have helped to crisp the spuds??

Martin

It has a 3 1/2" tube running from the base that was "supposed" to vent any pressure and steam, but after it had cooled, it seemed to have gaps around the base where I punched the hole slightly too big. This may have allowed fluids to boil out of my not quite dry twigs, I was fuelling the stove with, and drip into the oven/pot. I have now placed a large washer above and below the hole and tightened the nut down firm. hopefully this will make sure that isn't what is causing it. We live and learn though lol.

Here's a couple pics to show more detail of the vent tube.

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Used some stainless weave, I've had laying around for a good few years now, to make a not so pretty rack/grill for the BTC. stage three testing will commence tomorrow at 1200 hours ;)

bigzee
14-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't know about you, but I won't be totally happy until I see an Allinsons-looking wholemeal loaf of bread coming to fruition from this idea. Go on my son....you're half way there now!!!!

Adam Savage
14-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking of knocking up some damper and throwing that in there. soon as I work out the kinks

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Two new additions/revisions, to the "Woodpore-Bush-Tucker-Combi" BTC

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/08042011575.jpg

The tesco kettle/teapot fits perfectly on top of the stove in the groove around the rim.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/08042011576.jpg

And a tea light powered plate warmer, from family bargains, fits the top perfectly, to act as a pot stand/grill

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/08042011577.jpg

klause
08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Love it Saint......especially the spud oven !

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks Klause. Will be testing it to it's limits, at the upcoming Dartmoor meet at the end of next month. Spuds in the oven first to test the "tatty rack" in the bottom, then some damper, followed by more nettle tea in the top, fried bacon and egg in the frying pan (not yet arrived, but should fit ok), stew in the pot (also coming with the pan), capped off with the alloy wind shield (windeeze) around the lot, that I have just finished making.

Edwin
02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Baxter's soup tin and about five minutes. Pleased that it works. Next something more sophisticated.

J_P
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Good jobs there nice one ;)

Adam Savage
02-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Baxter's soup tin and about five minutes. Pleased that it works. Next something more sophisticated.

Like the use of the old fashion can opener/piercer to make the ventilation holes, top work

Silverback
04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
had a go myself after reading posts on this forum.

Basically i copied a design and heres it in use on monday night

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1317&d=1304433143

Doesn't seem to draw well when the billy can is on so may need more vent holes & the pan supports need a redesign but it did perform better than my mates £50 titanium jobbie - not bad for a 29p tin.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1319&d=1304433163

The Zebra Billy handle mod is inspired and im so glad i copied that too - except i used MTB gear wire not brake cable

Adam Savage
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Great job buddy. The simplest ideas are normally the best.

Silverback
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Great job buddy. The simplest ideas are normally the best.

Indeed they are - I was suprised at how much heat it generated for such little fuel, and its truely multifuel too as I can use a spirit burner or hexi blocks with it too as i can lower the billy further to get to the heat source.

One issue though is how to clear out the bottom of it as it burns wood as eventually the ash and embers block the bottom vent holes

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Indeed they are - I was suprised at how much heat it generated for such little fuel, and its truely multifuel too as I can use a spirit burner or hexi blocks with it too as i can lower the billy further to get to the heat source.

One issue though is how to clear out the bottom of it as it burns wood as eventually the ash and embers block the bottom vent holes

You could run another ring of holes around the base, about 1/2 inch above the existing ones. If they still block, give the stove a couple taps on the side with a stick or a tent peg, this normally vibrates the ash to the bottom, exposes the embers, and clears the holes.

Silverback
05-05-2011, 10:56 AM
You could run another ring of holes around the base, about 1/2 inch above the existing ones. If they still block, give the stove a couple taps on the side with a stick or a tent peg, this normally vibrates the ash to the bottom, exposes the embers, and clears the holes.

Great thanks for that - was going to try another set of holes at half height too just below the pot stand holes

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Great thanks for that - was going to try another set of holes at half height too just below the pot stand holes

No worries mate. I just filled my whole stove with holes lol. Next one will have slots at the bottom. With mine as it is, it doesn't get too much updraught, having so many holes, so hopefully the slots will give the best of both worlds, ventilation and updraught. Fingers crossed LOL

Silverback
06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1327&d=1304689320

Had a go at the mods you reccommended - but put extra holes at top too to try to increas updraught when billy is on stove.

What are these slits of which you speak im intrigued

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1327&d=1304689320

Had a go at the mods you reccommended - but put extra holes at top too to try to increas updraught when billy is on stove.

What are these slits of which you speak im intrigued

Looks great mate. The slits are just going to be vertical cuts with my mini grinder and its stainless steel disc. Thought this disc would be best as it's only 1.2mm thick. Making around 8 or 10 around the sides of the base, from bottom rim to about 2 or 3 inches up. With any luck, even with waste build up at the bottom, the top of the slits will still be clear to vent. Might cut them diagonally to see if it will create a kind of vortex updraught and keep the heat centralised in the can. We will see lol

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Hey Adam are you studying thermals LOL

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey Adam are you studying thermals LOL

She doesn't wear any LOL

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 05:02 PM
She doesn't wear any LOL

Thats bad that is :)

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Just made the prototype with diagonal slots. Seems to burn rather well, with a hint of cyclone action going on. Gives off a heck of a lot of heat. Was sat about one and a half metres from it, and it was making me sweat haha. video and photos to follow

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 06:10 PM
You can just make out the twirling in the flames, at the end of the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaA7tHENoXo

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/06052011624.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/06052011625.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/06052011626.jpg

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I tried to angle the edge of the lower slots, to create a directional intake for the air flow. Hense the rough look to them LOL

Ben Casey
06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Hense the rough look to them LOL

Do you know the song you took the words right out of my mouth LOL

paul standley
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I see where you are going with this Saint - Swirltastic :-)

I did a bit of research myself on cyclone air flows for wood burning hobo style stoves. I didn't pursure it in the end but it's an interesting concept, get going with it mate and keep us up to date.

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I see where you are going with this Saint - Swirltastic :-)

I did a bit of research myself on cyclone air flows for wood burning hobo style stoves. I didn't pursure it in the end but it's an interesting concept, get going with it mate and keep us up to date.

Thanks buddy, I will be adding fins inside for the next one

Silverback
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks buddy, I will be adding fins inside for the next one

maybe you could make the lower cuts resemble the figure 7 then fold it in to make your holes and fins ?

Adam Savage
07-05-2011, 08:24 AM
maybe you could make the lower cuts resemble the figure 7 then fold it in to make your holes and fins ?

Thats an excellent idea, thanks. I shall have a go at that when I get chance.

basicbushcraft
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
great work mate

Silverback
10-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Hobo stove and billy mark 2. No electrical tools used in production, used a hacksaw, hole punch, wirecutters and ball pein hammer oh and a screwdriver.

All in all Im quite pleased with my efforts. This is much smaller than my previous hobo stove at 11 x 14cm. The billy is 10 x 17 cm

Total cost about £6 :):):)

The Stove and Billy unpacked. The lid is from the top tier of a 10cm tiffin tin.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1954&d=1310312009

all stacked together

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1951&d=1310311962

In the carry bag made from a bit of scrap polycotton

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1952&d=1310311978

The billy started life as this stainless steel utensil holder on ebay at £2 for a pair of them - bit of MTB gear wire and a couple of cable blocks did the trick - thanks Wayland.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1953&d=1310311994

Adam Savage
10-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Nice little cooking solution there mate. Top marks.

paul standley
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice simple set-up, very good and I like the billy, looks similar to a S.S. one I was looking at in Asda recently.. nearly bought as well it but saved myself last minute...! - got a whole bunch of pots & DIY billy's already :-)