PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Line

_Matt_
25-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi there. I apologise if this has been asked before (I did look). Anyway i notice that people have their ridge line higher than they can really reach when rigging a tarp. Do you just have something to stand on or am i missing something? Without anything to stand on I've (in the few times I've done it) always had to have the tarp much lower than is ideal. Cheers!

biker-bri
25-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi matt, I doubt that anyone stands on anything to rig a ridge line, it may be the perspective of the photographs may be misleading you or they have rigged the hammock a little closer to the ground than you do [ATTACH=CONFIG]5436[/ATTACH
] if the tarp were any higher the guy lines would have to be much longer to maintain a reasonable angle, still I bet there are some clever tricks that the more experienced tree dwellers know that I have yet to learn.probably high tec like using a stick :happy-clapping:
Cheers Bri

dannyreid1978
25-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Matt, personally I tie my ridge line above my head by a couple of inches that gives me 6 foot (ish!) I have a DD 3x3 and like to get the sides pegged out fairly close to the ground to minimise wind coming through, I also tie my hammock fairly high so when it sags I'm still well off the ground!

I've dropped the front netting of the hammock for this shot

Danny 😃

Richie
25-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I put mine about head high. I like my hammock closer to the ground so I can easily use it as a seat for reading etc during the day.
The only exception is camping in the Forest of Dean where I swing higher as I don't want wild boar carving me a new orofice during the night!

Shewie
25-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Like others, I tie mine just above head height so I can stand up underneath

suggy
25-09-2012, 05:23 PM
What's the best stuff for a ridge line? I would prefer stealthy colours.

I've been using 550 paracord and recently poundland rubbish.

Also guyline recomendations please. (sorry if I'm hijacking)

Silverback
25-09-2012, 05:27 PM

I use 550 and found it to be perfect for task

suggy
25-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I use 550 and found it to be perfect for task

It's been fine so far but I'm wondering what all this "Zing-it" stuff etc is like? It looks like crab lines.

I know it's no great hardship but if I didn't have to wring out my suspension after a heavy downpour it might be quicker to strike camp, be lighter etc.

Cheers

_Matt_
25-09-2012, 05:40 PM

You're welcome to hijack.

_Matt_
25-09-2012, 05:44 PM
It's been fine so far but I'm wondering what all this "Zing-it" stuff etc is like? It looks like crab lines.

I know it's no great hardship but if I didn't have to wring out my suspension after a heavy downpour it might be quicker to strike camp, be lighter etc.

Cheers
Might be worth trying nylon accessory cord (used in climbing etc), comes in many thicknesses (2 to 8 mm) and costs next to nothing for the thinnest sizes. It is also bought off a roll per metre so not limited on lengths. Also very strong.

Shewie
25-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I use skinny 2mm arborist throw line, it's usually in gordy colours though unfortunately

jus_young
25-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Tarp height depends again on where I am hanging (or what over) but generally no more than head height. I use shock cord to support mine as this gives with the wind and tree movement, its only 5mm stuff but plenty strong enough.

biker-bri
25-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I use skinny 2mm arborist throw line, it's usually in gordy colours though unfortunately

same here I think mine is made by Marlow with a breaking strain of 83kg / 183lbs one of the advantages is that you can use the Dutch flyz and hook system available from UK hammocks ( no association with them etc etc )
Cheers Bri