PDA

View Full Version : hogweed?

twosmokeforever
28-09-2012, 06:44 AM
well is it really food, i'm sure I read somewhere the young curled shoots are very good

but health & safety say I need a full hazard suit

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoddnRmVQAlsAZhZNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.im ages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhogw eed%26fr%3Dyfp-t-702%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D146&w=480&h=640&imgurl=farm4.staticflickr.com%2F3481%2F3747221284_ 0e1b48d575_z.jpg%3Fzz%3D1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fkennin ghall%2F3747221284%2F&size=118.3+KB&name=Hogweed+warning+in+a+park+in+Churchville%2C+O ntario&p=hogweed&oid=722123ad2aaf2f706b368edf26c863f1&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-702&tt=Hogweed%2Bwarning%2Bin%2Ba%2Bpark%2Bin%2BChurch ville%252C%2BOntario&b=121&ni=84&no=146&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11k9gth96&sigb=135srjqs0&sigi=11sh7sph6&.crumb=vOjScGQQ4Lk

luresalive
28-09-2012, 06:55 AM
You're confusing Hogweed with Giant Hogweed, 2 different plants.

f0rm4t
28-09-2012, 07:11 AM
:shocked: Just saw some pictures (http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/weed-identification/giant-hogweed/hogweed-burns.aspx)of the aftermath of kids that had been playing in amongst the stuff. That giant Hogweed looks nasty!

JonnyP
28-09-2012, 07:19 AM
This is one of the problems of not using latin names for plants. PFAF (Plants for a future) do not even use the name hogweed for the common edible hogweed, maybe for that reason..?
Giant hogweed grows massive and if you brush your skin against its prickles, you will get a very nasty rash come up, which can reoccur.
You do also have to take care of common hogweed too, as it can also give you a skin reaction, but once cooked its fine..
Young shoots are best, cooked like asparagus n served with butter, salt n pepper..
I love the plants from the carrot family, its like god is playing games with that lot

AL...
28-09-2012, 08:37 AM
This is one of the problems of not using latin names for plants. PFAF (Plants for a future) do not even use the name hogweed for the common edible hogweed, maybe for that reason..?
Giant hogweed grows massive and if you brush your skin against its prickles, you will get a very nasty rash come up, which can reoccur.
You do also have to take care of common hogweed too, as it can also give you a skin reaction, but once cooked its fine..
Young shoots are best, cooked like asparagus n served with butter, salt n pepper..
I love the plants from the carrot family, its like god is playing games with that lot

I like the way ye discribe this Jonny :D T^

Cheers
AL

twosmokeforever
01-10-2012, 06:47 AM

can I have a picture of what you pick, as I think i'd better be sure about this one

JonnyP
01-10-2012, 07:13 AM
can I have a picture of what you pick, as I think i'd better be sure about this one

I will try and get out after work and get a pic, as all my pics are on an old hard drive that had every file renamed the same name by accident. Nightmare to find anything on there now..

Never eat any umbellifer unless you are 100% sure you know what you are eating. Always cross-reference id, and/or get advice from someone who knows.
Get it wrong and you could be eating one of the most poisonous plants in Europe.

f0rm4t
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Get it wrong and you could be eating one of the most poisonous plants in Europe.

Hogweed with a side order of A&E please :zombie-fighting:

David_JAFO
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
hello,
Giant Hog Weed. Around 1990 there were a few of these growing like trees by the riverside
nearby.The local Park Rangers were notified of such as some kids were playing witnessed lopping bits
off with sticks allegedly. Anyway these plants were photographed & again allegedly recorded
as the largest recorded growing in the Region, they were soon destroyed afterwards.
I've seen the after effects of coming into contact with such & can be very lethal, as you say
JonnyP 'prickles & a nasty rash' from smaller plants but the larger 'Triffids' I've seen blistering which
resembled 3rd degree burns.Very nasty indeed & should be avoided at all costs.
Regards
David

This is one of the problems of not using latin names for plants. PFAF (Plants for a future)
do not even use the name hogweed for the common edible hogweed, maybe for that reason..?

JonnyP
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
hello,
Giant Hog Weed. Around 1990 there were a few of these growing like trees by the riverside
nearby.The local Park Rangers were notified of such as some kids were playing witnessed lopping bits
off with sticks allegedly. Anyway these plants were photographed & again allegedly recorded
as the largest recorded growing in the Region, they were soon destroyed afterwards.
I've seen the after effects of coming into contact with such & can be very lethal, as you say
JonnyP 'prickles & a nasty rash' from smaller plants but the larger 'Triffids' I've seen blistering which
resembled 3rd degree burns.Very nasty indeed & should be avoided at all costs.
Regards
David

I used to be friends with a Country Park Warden. He brushed up against one once and got a nasty rash. But then every year after, the rash came back. I dunno if he still gets it. The dried out stems are safe though and make good bushcrafty containers.

Sorry, I forgot to go n get a pic of a common hogweed.. :0(

JonnyP
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
A bit of info and pics on the common hogweed here.. http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/?page_id=948
These guys have been around a while and seem to know their stuff, but remember its stuff on the internet and may be wrong..

David_JAFO
02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
hello,
JonnyP
T^
Regards
David

A bit of info and pics on the common hogweed here.. http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/?page_id=948
These guys have been around a while and seem to know their stuff, but remember its stuff on the internet and may be wrong..

AdrianRose
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
A couple of years ago I was working as a landscape gardener, one day we were strimming a large embankment which was divided into two parts by a metal chain link style fence.

The far side of the fence which was owned by someone else looked like a bus trip outing for the Day Of The Triffids!!
There was giant hogweed as far as the eye could see.

The side I was working on was completely clear apart from some very long grass. We merrily strimmed away at the embankment till all the grass had been shortened. The next morning (a very sunny one) a huge blister, the size of a fag packet appeared on my right wrist - you could actually watch the blister forming!

I figured straightaway that it must be Giant Hogweed burn due to its UV reactive sap so I covered up my wrist straight away. In hindsight there must have been some new shoots from air blown seeds that had germinated in the long grass.

Even now, a year later, I still have a visible light brown scar on my right inner wrist.

Ade.

_Matt_
03-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm in the 4th year of foraging now and i still ignore all those carrot related plants because i still find them confusing and so many of them look superficially similar. Not worth it! The dried/dead stems however do make amazing kindling (there are millions of them about right now).

twosmokeforever
04-10-2012, 05:57 AM
I've always stayed clear of cowparsley also, can someone point out the gems in this family, and any tips on how to identify them? and I suppose the ones which need 100% identification

AL...
04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
That would make a real good Vid by someone in the know.

Cheers
AL

AdrianRose
04-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I've always stayed clear of cowparsley also, can someone point out the gems in this family, and any tips on how to identify them? and I suppose the ones which need 100% identification

To be honest, I think the only related umbellifer type plant of being note worthy in my opinion is the Pignut (Conopudium majus). There is an in depth description of it on my website if you want to take a look buddy.

Ade.