PDA

View Full Version : White Box Stove....wow

Tigger004
28-09-2012, 08:57 PM
After reading reviews and watching a video on this website's home page I thought I'd buy one, a bit pricey for a recycled bottle.

When the white cardbord box arrived from the States I opened it and found a much better quality stove than it looked in the video. Instantly I made a brew using it and only used a very small amount of meths.
Boiled my water then put the stove out with an upturned tin can, still had fuel left, a very economical stove and an extremely fast boil. Much quicker than a trangia or tatonka. Try one for yourself.

I am very impressed, read some reviews, watch some videos and then spend £17.50 you won't regret it, I no longer think it is pricey!

$26.50 usd including shipping from the Man himself @ White Box Stoves (mailto:bill@whiteboxstoves.com) or $27.25 usd (£17.50) including shipping off ebay if you prefer (also from Bill),

andy t
03-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Make one yourself............cost nothing.

paulthefish2009
03-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Good point!

FishyFolk
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I am sure it is good. Also sure that if i am so pressed for time I do not have the time to wait for my trangia rip-off stove to boil me water, i won't be out there...or I'll simply use the butane burner that boils it in a minute and 30 seconds. So thats money better spend on meths, or better , put in the saving for a sleeping bag and hammock system jar....

But ifI did not have a stove at all I would be all over youtube and ebay to find one right now.

can someone inform my brain when you figure out what the h.... the point of making an answer like mine to a post like the op is?

I need dinner-...

Tigger004
03-10-2012, 10:03 PM

I have made all sorts of stoves, wood gas, rocket stoves, hobos and penny stoves, had real fun making them all, but the quality and roll top of this aluminium bottle stove is superb, plus the bottles are hard to souce in the UK, some people may not have this skill set.

I am passing on feedback about the white box stove which was reviewed on our home page here recently, just incase any one was trying to make a decision "to buy or not"

I hope my Enthusiasm shone through.. thanks for the replies guys :)

ADz
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Indeed, the quality of the build of the whitebox stove looks great.

Proventurer
04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I have made all sorts of stoves, wood gas, rocket stoves, hobos and penny stoves, had real fun making them all, but the quality and roll top of this aluminium bottle stove is superb, plus the bottles are hard to souce in the UK, some people may not have this skill set.

I am passing on feedback about the white box stove which was reviewed on our home page here recently, just incase any one was trying to make a decision "to buy or not"

I hope my Enthusiasm shone through.. thanks for the replies guys :)

I have sold many of these stoves, through my business in South Africa, they are quite simply pure value for money, Bill goes to extrodinary lengths to make something out of which would otherwise be scrap material.
In SA, I retail them for R155.00 with no complaints I can recall regarding the price, in fact I have received many compliments and even a write up with pictures, that one hiker (customer) did for a local magazine, sometimes things that exist in this world, are just done right!

ADz
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Even though I don't particularly need one at the moment I'm thinking of getting one anyway just because I like the look and incase I ever do need one for a ultra light kit.

Ashley Cawley
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Small, lightweight & powerful - I'm pretty sure it's my fastest stove. And all from recycled materials :) I've made pop-can stoves myself in the past but nowhere near the quality of the white box.

I would say its my most carried stove, (although i like to cook on open-fire whenever possible) helps that it fits inside many things.

andy t
10-10-2012, 09:38 AM
The only skill set needed is to make four marks up a bottle, cut it, (i use an old bread knife) and the ability to drill a few holes.....ok they may not be as well made as the white box stove ( no rolled top) but i'm sure the ones i make could give the white box a run for its money as regards durability and boil time. The ones i make also have more holes in them which i think helps with narrower pots, and no i'm not trying to advertise mine for sale, but adz if you want one pm me your addy and i'll send you one.

ADz
10-10-2012, 05:25 PM
PM Sent T^

andy t
12-10-2012, 08:40 AM

alvino78
31-10-2012, 12:43 AM
The only skill set needed is to make four marks up a bottle, cut it, (i use an old bread knife) and the ability to drill a few holes.....ok they may not be as well made as the white box stove ( no rolled top) but i'm sure the ones i make could give the white box a run for its money as regards durability and boil time. The ones i make also have more holes in them which i think helps with narrower pots, and no i'm not trying to advertise mine for sale, but adz if you want one pm me your addy and i'll send you one.

any pics Andy?

andy t
02-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry Alvino no i don't have any pics of those i make at the moment. I sent my last two to ADz_1983, you could always ask him what he thought of them.

ADz
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Haven't had chance to try them out yet as ran out of mephs and not got round to getting a bottle as I have a Optimus Crux set now which replaced use of my Trangia. However I will be getting some soon as this stove will go great with a super light kit.

What I will say is that it looks more or less exactly same as the White box stove without the machine pressed rounded top. I'll take some pics and post soon for you.

Thnx again for the stoves andy :)

alvino78
02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Haven't had chance to try them out yet as ran out of mephs and not got round to getting a bottle as I have a Optimus Crux set now which replaced use of my Trangia. However I will be getting some soon as this stove will go great with a super light kit.

What I will say is that it looks more or less exactly same as the White box stove without the machine pressed rounded top. I'll take some pics and post soon for you.

Thnx again for the stoves andy :)
cheers for the info!

alvino78
02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry Alvino no i don't have any pics of those i make at the moment. I sent my last two to ADz_1983, you could always ask him what he thought of them.
cheers andy!

TheOutdoorist
05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I have had a few whitebox stoves and I did get along with them. I really like how there is no need for a pot stand so saves weight but just didnt find myself carrying my own often so I moved it on.

Good bit of kit though in my opinion :)

Tigger004
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Just for interest and a bit off topic, but where do you guys buy meths, my last purchase was from Go Outdoors 5ltr, always looking for cheap supplier

TheOutdoorist
05-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Asda, 500ml bottle for £2.50 or £3 :)

Tigger004
17-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Just an add on to my review,

Mods - I have fixed a length of fibre glass stove rope near the base of the stove for priming ( blooms much quicker and makes it even more efficient )

Plus Points - I still love the white box stove and use it regularly, it's highly efficient and boils water pronto. easy to light and use.

Negative Points - Has no simmer control,so it cooks at high speed, difficult to extinguish (you learn how much fuel to use with practice, so it burns out at the right time)

Summary - I stick with my original statement of Wow, I've used it many times in my Mkettle and my wild woodgas stove for a morning brew, sure beats waiting for wood to get going for the first brew of the day Hope this is of use to someone

Tony1948
17-05-2013, 08:44 PM
85418542Y pay all that money for a white box when you can make you'r own out of alley water bottles I pick mine up from the booty for around 30p

Dan XF
27-05-2013, 09:52 AM
I bought a whitebox stove after seeing the video on here. I have always used a trangia in the past which is ok if you have the time to wait. I prefer to use boil in the bag foods so I only ever boil up water and never have to clean out a pot. The Whitebox is so fast that I now take it with me on film shoots. If the main Production team are a distance away and I'm hiding in the back ground somewhere I can make a fresh brew in no time and it's silent and smoke free. It's the perfect stove for my needs and fits in a titanium mug nicely. If I'm out and about for a few days I just put the mug and stove in a larger pot. With the base and windshield the whole lot can only weigh 4 or 5 ounces. I read somewhere that if you put meths on the base sheet you can just light that and it will prime very quickly. As a point of interest I am also one of these people who struggles to be creative with their hands and apart from making a hobo stove I wouldn't even try to make a meths stove. I have however reshaped the wind shield from a mini Trangia so that the Whitebox can sit in it and the pot can sit on the pot supports and dreckly on top of the stove to keep up the internal pressure for efficient combustion. I found that by putting meths in the stove and some in the trangia windshield I could place the pot straight on top first then light the reservoir around the base of the shield. This soon heats and vapourises the meths in the stove which instantly lights when hit by the surrounding flames. Tried it on a day out down along the Thames with the kids last bank holiday. Worked a treat and we all had a hot lunch in no time.
In summary; Great stove if you want to buy a light weight piece of kit and a great design to steal if you are the clever sort and can make your own.

ADz
27-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Dan, breaks/paragraphs are always nice but thanks for the review. I have a whitebox DIY job and also think it's great. It cant obviously store meths like a trangia but its much quicker and lighter and alsong as you measure meths out properley you don't really need to store any anyway. :)