PDA

View Full Version : What's your under-kit

f0rm4t
30-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I had a night out last night for a kit test which was great, but suffered a little with matt movement.
What's you under-kit?

How do you stop matt movement?
Under quilt or matt? Do you need a matt if you use an under quilt?
Pros & Cons?
What's your make/model?

Cheers chaps.

Silverback
30-09-2012, 06:32 PM
How very dare you discussing under gar..........oops misread ;)

I have a home made underquilt modded from from a US wet weather poncho liner some paracord and some mini krabs, if its really cold I have a thicker one made from an old sleeping bag.

FishyFolk
30-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Only have one night behind me in a hammock. And that was my Army Jungle hammock. I just used a cheap summer sleeping bag for an under quilt by tying it to the four corners of the hammock (jungle hammocks got corners), and also used a foam mat and a self inflating mat on top of that.

If I had a DD typ hammock, whicj I will some time during this winter, I will probably use both, that is an under quilt of some fashion, and a sleeping pad....at least during winter.

Silverback
30-09-2012, 06:57 PM
How very dare you discussing under gar..........oops misread ;)

I have a home made underquilt modded from from a US wet weather poncho liner some paracord and some mini krabs, if its really cold I have a thicker one made from an old sleeping bag.

I have used mats and dont mind either. the first time I used a mat i left it standard and it slid all over the place. Thanks to Adam (crazysaint) I now have a mat trimmed into a coffin shape which stays put....most of the time. Its half the size of a normal mat now too so I can in theory take both and if a little chilly use the underquilt as a quilt on top instead.

JonnyP
30-09-2012, 09:05 PM
If you are a fidget in your bed/hammock like I am, then its easy for a sleeping mat to slide out from under you, and easier still to lose a thermarest as they are slidy underneath. Reindeer skins or sheep fleeces are good to use, but bulky, and you really need two of them. Underblankets are very effective as you can raise or lower them to regulate the heat. I have a snugpak one which is good for all but very cold nights. Then I also add a poncho liner as they are easy to tie on.
Underblankets are easy to make out of old sleeping bags if you are any good at sewing.. whatever that is ;0)

jus_young
30-09-2012, 09:25 PM
DIY underquilt as featured here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2777-DIY-underquilt-project&highlight=underquilt)

Worked great again this weakend with temperatures outside dropping to mid sevens. Really don't get on with a mat but find the underquilt a little bulky at the moment so I really want to make a down version.