PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

FishyFolk
30-09-2012, 08:54 PM
For many, nature is a place where they go and find some peace. And can sit and marvel over a beutifull view for hours.
Me I get bored out of my mind out there. In my latest vid I stayed a whole night in the woods. But when camp was set, supper consumed, I realised to my horror that I had forgotten to bring a book to read. Luckilly I fell asleep quickly in the hammock or I would have been bored out of my mind.

Same on my normal trips. the reason they only last a few hours, is that when I am done doing what I set forth to do, i.e shoot a vid on tinders fro example, I get bored and go home.
I could never sit and admire the sun set for more than a few minutes. I take a loook, go "oh, my, thats nice, and go on with what ever I do to occupy myself.

But tat the same time I love to be out there. I just need something to do while I am there. Relax I am very good at doing at home on the sofa with a can of coke and a bag of chips, with the TV set to a movie channel....

So is it anyone else that has it this way?

jus_young
30-09-2012, 09:46 PM
If I am on my own then its either a bit of whittling or an early bed time.

OakAshandThorn
01-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Oh gosh - I'm completely opposite ;). I could gaze for hours at the stars at night, the rising sun, etc. But what really bores me are the dreary cloudy days, with no sun in the sky at all. Those days are absolutely depressing for me.

happybonzo
01-10-2012, 06:16 AM
I get bored spitless. I have to keep occupied for every waking minute. And Mrs Bonzo says it makes living with me hell :)

Humakt
01-10-2012, 06:34 AM
I could gaze for hours at the stars at night, the rising sun, etc

Yup, me too.
I have no problems just sitting/lying there and doing sweet fanny adams except listening to the sounds and watching the clouds roll by overhead, daydreaming, or thinking through thoughts.
It's now moving into autumn, my favourite time of year. It's a good time for lying in your hammock listening to the rain patter against the tarp, or the sound of the wind in the leaves and branches. I love the romance of it.
Sometimes I go out intending to do projects, sometimes I go out with the intentiion of doing nothing but finding a spot with a good view and take it in.

So long as you're enjoying your time, however that may be, that's the most important thing.

fish
01-10-2012, 07:03 AM
i like to practice fire lighting ,the fire piston usually takes an hour up ,have a little wander to see animal tracks maybe set a snare or two,bit of spoon carving,read a bit,enjoy a snifter,watch the flames of the camp fire, and by the time all thats done its bed time.

JEEP
01-10-2012, 07:07 AM
For me The Nature is the only place where I can truly relax. Submerging myself in into the calm tranquility of The Nature, is more or less like meditation for me; minutes turns to houers faster than I can keep track of. I usually bring a book and/or some tools when out and about - but I rarely take them out of my pack. The two pieces of gear I seem to use the most is my binoculars and inflatable seatpad :)

For me it is not about doing - it is more or less about reaching a state of not doing...

biker-bri
01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
For me The Nature is the only place where I can truly relax. Submerging myself in into the calm tranquility of The Nature, is more or less like meditation for me; minutes turns to houers faster than I can keep track of. I usually bring a book and/or some tools when out and about - but I rarely take them out of my pack. The two pieces of gear I seem to use the most is my binoculars and inflatable seatpad :)

For me it is not about doing - it is more or less about reaching a state of not doing...

+1 for me, I couldnt have put it better, on my last overnighter I spent hours watching buzzards soaring high above me, then in the late afternoon sun I spotted a young adder basking on a tree stump, I was glad that I was sleeping in a hammock knowing that its mum n dad where arround somewere, I used to be like you Rune - could never sit still for long, always had to be doing something, then when my dad died I told my friend a story about him going rabbit shooting - he came home emptyhanded when my mum
asked him if he had seen anything he said, around 20 rabbits, a fox with cubs, a pair of gray herron, an owl, buzzard, wren, robin, blackbird the list was endless, of course he had seen something but if he had been single minded he wouldnt have seen anything.
Cheers Bri

jbrown14
01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
The only time I really get out by myself is when it's just for the day. I've only done one solo overnight and the main reason I haven't done it again is that I missed the company of my friends that I've hiked with for so many years. I've had a love for the outdoors since I was a child, but never did an overnight in the backcountry until I was 16 and nearly every trip I've done in the intervening 21 years has included at least a couple of the guys I hiked with on that first trip. Most are married with children now, but the trips are our time to re-connect with each other and to strengthen our friendships. For us, it's not so much about the destination, it's getting out in God's creation, away from the distractions of the modern world and finding a peaceful place to just BE.

AL...
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Im single minded as to setting up camp but once I have that done I love to wander around looking for tracks and sign of whats living around where Im sleeping.
Also finding Wood ant nests is on of my fave things to do . They are amasing and if yer lost and find a wood ant nest you know they always build them on the south side of the trees. for plenty sunshine so thats always a help.
I can sit and watch raptors for hours or deer grasing on the edge of the woods. so sitting doing nothing is a good thing as ye can watch and listen.
I also like to work on a spoon while sitting in front of the fire as most of my time in the woods is on my own Keeping busy in camp stops me having to think (Never a good thing for me to do) :)
But most of all I go out to get away.
I'll shup now ..

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I sort of list, sitting around doing nothing while watching animals as doing something, as then at least there is a chance that something interesting happens. :mad2:

A bird is just a bird to me, or potentially dinner...and unless it's something I used to shoot, I would not know it's species. And I really don't care to know.
I would probably never spend money to buy a book about birds, animals or plants. And even if somebody gave one to me, chances are very, very small that I would open it to learn anything about that sort of thing. I have bothered to learn a few though, just to avoid getting killed by whatever the wife brings in from the muck. She is foreign, and does not have a clue about Norwegian nature edibles , so everything has to pass by me. So for her sake I have learned enough safe ones that she is happy.

It's just being out there with nothing to do but sit and look at the camp fire, or the miilionth sun set that has me bored out of my mind. Sitting or hanging under a tarp listening to the rain does nothing for me.
The colors of autumn...nice to watch, but I see that if I gaze out of my living room window. But okay, gets better if I can smell it too.
But I can be happily content if I have a fishing rod with some kind of bait cast out....then I can sit there and do nothing, but more often than not I pick up a spinner rod
to give me something to do while I wait for the baited thingy to do it's job.

One can wonder why I bother being out there, but I actually enjoy it immensely. Just for different reasons than most I guess.

AL...
01-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Thats what is so amasing about the outdoors Rune its diffrent for everyone. for me one of the most wonderful sounds is rain on the tent .. Puts me to sleep in seconds lol
There is plenty room out there for everyone to do there thing.
I dont wonder at all as to why ye go out I realy enjoy your vids. I have never seen where a moose has bedded down for the night untill you showed us on your vids. So keep up the bushcrafting mate ye do a great thing and Ive learned a fair bit from ye.

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
There is a saying in the UK Rune EACH TO THEIR OWN which basically means do your own thing.
The world would be a boring place if we were all the same, enjoy whatever it is that you do after all it's your time so spend it as you seem fit.
Cheers Bri

paulthefish2009
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
When I'm out and about I do like to take time to just "tune in" to the enviroment. Ican just sit and do nothing apart from looking around,like Jakob I normaly take bino's along with a pocket book on wild flowers. Last sunday for instance I saw 3 buzzards,found some owl droppings,saw a group (nest?) of 8 pheasents,found a crab apple tree i never knew excisted and took a couple of bits of wind fall oak home for the fire.Lovely. Paul

FishyFolk
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
There is a saying in the UK Rune EACH TO THEIR OWN which basically means do your own thing.
The world would be a boring place if we were all the same, enjoy whatever it is that you do after all it's your time so spend it as you seem fit.
Cheers Bri

That I am very good at doing, he he...

Anyway this boredom thing is one thing that stops me from going out there spending the night more, or just spending more time in the forrest when I am out there.
And often I just stay home, when I could have gone, because I do not have anything specific to do outr there. So as I said, shooting a video or fishing are my two main objectives.
And then it is to go allong with the wife and kids. Most of that do not get published. But even then I end up getting bored with it all. Luckilly we have to little runt who
get cranky if we stay out to long....maybe he takes after me lol....

Sorry for all the doom and gloom. Perhaps I am just depressed at the thought of winter coming. I know it will mean less time spent out there.

GalaxyRider
01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I do like to take a little radio. Then I am more than happy to sit and contemplate my navel for hours on end. Sitting and gazing and thinking of not much is something I could be an Olympian at :ashamed:

Dan XF
09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
It used to be just me and the dogs out in the forest for the day with a sandwich and a flask but courtesy of this site it became me and the dogs and a lightweight pot, a white box stove, a meal in a pouch, my titanium mug, a brew kit and a ferro rod. My wife hates camping and doesn't like me going off on my own so I used to go with a couple of mates but they are all getting to the age where they don't want to be under canvas or have moved too far away. I was hoping my kids would get into camping but my daughter was interested in being in a tent but not out of the garden and has now decided it's not her thing. That leaves my son to carry on the tradition. He's just turned 4 so I'll try next year with him. Here's hoping. As my daughter is in the Brownies and they emphasize nature in a lot of their activities I'm hoping that she may come back over to the dark side. Just need to get that Canadian canoe now to start touring the Thames.

Kernowek Scouser
09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
When I do get out, I take a book with me. But once I have hiked to where I intend to camp, set up and brewed up, I tend to :eek:PANIC:eek: that I might get caught, then gradually get over it, settle down, whittle a bit, have a cheeky bevvy and roam in my imagination, as I watch the stars dance around the sky.

I will read that book one day.

alvino78
09-10-2012, 02:59 PM
after set up and prep sit against a tree and relax ,quiet and content watching everything from insects to animals to the shadows cast by the trees.............total escapism.

f0rm4t
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
But once I have hiked to where I intend to camp, set up and brewed up, I tend to :eek:PANIC:eek: that I might get caught, then gradually get over it

Ha!
+1
Last time I kept stamping the fire down just in case someone saw the light.
I'd tell myself to Man-up! :D

FishyFolk
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Kind of makes me happy to know I am in a land where the right to roam is secured in law, including the right to camp without permission (for two days). So that even if the land owner comes and makes a stink I can ask him to stuff it where the sun does not shine should he make a stink.

But generally they don't, and the people you meet out is never a problem. In fact i'd go as far as to say that the Norwegians you'd meet out in the muck are the only polite ones you'll find.
....eh....that is except the idiots wearing condom suits on a bicycle in the summer, and wearing the same on skis in the winter, who think they own the paths and the tracks...but thos I do not give a toss about...

Tigger004
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Usually I camp out with one of my sons and treat it as quality time to chew the fat over any topic that comes up, constant over tending the fire and making brews keeps me busy.
I know the feeling of settling when you first set up for the evening, watching and listening for anything

ADz
09-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I've only been out for one solo hike/night but purchased a portable phone charger so I at least had something to fall back on and play some games or browse web etc if I couldnt sleep or got bored. Ideally though I would prefer to just sit and chill with a book - although I have never read a book in my life, we at least not a novel/story type book anyway. I have purchased a small pocket radio aswell.

For us, it's not so much about the destination, it's getting out in God's creation, away from the distractions of the modern world

I'm all for going back to nature away from the modern world but no need to get delusional. :innocent: