PDA

View Full Version : Down/compact sleeping bag for £50 or less.

ADz
03-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Can anybody recommend a down sleeping bag for £50 or less? It doesn't matter about the season rating as I will get a liner or wear clothing. Its mainly going to be used in summer anyway and I mainly want it for compactness. Or do you know of any synthetics that compact well?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Martin
03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
I've got a couple of these:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-ultra-lite-mummy-sleeping-bag/200-7415.prd

They don't appear to be available at the moment but, when they are, snap them up. They pack down to the size of a small rugby ball and are great for two season use.

Martin

Adam Savage
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree with Martin. I have one of these too. If you add a fleece liner and a bivvy bag, the make a decent 3 season bag too.
With any down bag, make sure you store it unpacked, and use a liner of some kind to prolong it's life. It's a lot easier to wash a liner than it is to have the whole bag cleaned professionally.

Adam

ADz
03-10-2012, 07:21 PM

They don't appear to be available at the moment but, when they are, snap them up. They pack down to the size of a small rugby ball and are great for two season use.

Martin

I agree with Martin. I have one of these too. If you add a fleece liner and a bivvy bag, the make a decent 3 season bag too.
With any down bag, make sure you store it unpacked, and use a liner of some kind to prolong it's life. It's a lot easier to wash a liner than it is to have the whole bag cleaned professionally.

Adam

Thnx for recommendations, The Ultra-Lite version looks great especially if its a down bag. I did look at the Micro-Lite version before and meant to go back and buy it but totally forgot. Wasn't aware of the Ultra-Lite version.

Its a real shame they are out of stock as they likely wont get them back in for a while now maybe next year :(

Fancy selling your spare Martin? :D

Martin
03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
...Fancy selling your spare Martin? :D

Tempting but they are worth more to me than I would have the front to ask for, if you see what I mean. Add postage on top and you would be better off buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00499DS3O/ref=asc_df_B00499DS3O9947779?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00499DS3O

Slightly above your budget but seems to tick the other boxes. :)

I forgot to mention, I've also got one of these and I absolutely love it!!

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/sleeping/down-bags/rab-neutrino-400/37303.html

Martin

Adam Savage
03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Thnx for recommendations, The Ultra-Lite version looks great especially if its a down bag. I did look at the Micro-Lite version before and meant to go back and buy it but totally forgot. Wasn't aware of the Ultra-Lite version.

Its a real shame they are out of stock as they likely wont get them back in for a while now maybe next year :(

No problem mate. I'll check out my local Tesco, as I'm sure they had some yesterday when I went in. Will get in touch if I manage to secure you one.

Adam

ADz
03-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Tempting but they are worth more to me than I would have the front to ask for, if you see what I mean. Add postage on top and you would be better off buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00499DS3O/ref=asc_df_B00499DS3O9947779?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00499DS3O

Slightly above your budget but seems to tick the other boxes. :)

I forgot to mention, I've also got one of these and I absolutely love it!!

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/sleeping/down-bags/rab-neutrino-400/37303.html

Martin

Thnx anyway bud.

They are a little out of my price range at the moment as far as sleeping bag goes. I thinking about flogging my Trangia 27-6 so will put that to funds once sold and see what I can come up with.

No problem mate. I'll check out my local Tesco, as I'm sure they had some yesterday when I went in. Will get in touch if I manage to secure you one.

Adam

rly? Dude that would be awesome, Much appreciated!

I phoned my local Tesco and they only have the micro-lite in stock so would be great if you managed to source the Ultra for me :)

Adam Savage
03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Will get on the case tomorrow T^

ADz
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Thnx m8, your a star :)

If they have them in stock can you ask them to put it aside rather then purchase first, just incase I source an alternative in meantime.

Much appreciated
Adam.

jus_young
03-10-2012, 10:26 PM
This ones on offer at the moment for under £50

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifesystems-downlight-900-mummy-shaped-down-sleeping-bag-p95361

Tigger004
03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Has anyone tried those pod shaped bags as an under quilt or pea pod? I think Gellert make a version of it, looked at them but not tried it

ADz
03-10-2012, 10:37 PM
This ones on offer at the moment for under £50

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifesystems-downlight-900-mummy-shaped-down-sleeping-bag-p95361

Thnx, that looks a really good offer considering usual price but it looks a little bulky for me from videos I've seen. I'm looking for something more compact since I'm trying to get my kit down from a 70ltr to a 46ltr pack.

Thnx for the heads up though :)

Adam Savage
03-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Thnx m8, your a star :)

If they have them in stock can you ask them to put it aside rather then purchase first, just incase I source an alternative in meantime.

Much appreciated
Adam.

Will do mate

ADz
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Hey guys, think I found a couple of nice alternatives to the Ultra-Lite and weight less. Gelert Pioneer 700 (£15/700g) and the Gelert X-Treme LITE 600 (£27/600g), They're not down filling but should make great summer sleeping bags or maybe cooler nights with liners etc :)

May still be interested in the Tesco down one though Adam if you can still check for me.

Adam Savage
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Checked the local store, sadly none in at the moment. They have a load of other styles, but none are down :(

ADz
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Checked the local store, sadly none in at the moment. They have a load of other styles, but none are down :(

No worries bud. I think I'll opt for the micro-lite or one of the ones I mentioned above as they look like great summer bags.

Thnx for checking for us though, much appreciated.

Adam Savage
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
No worries dude. Sometimes the synthetic bags are better options, as modern materials are getting better, so they give good insulation, and good water repellency, along with a smaller pack size. Not to mention the fact they are a lot easier to clean, and being cheaper, you don't worry too much about embers from the fire burning them :)

ADz
13-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Just an update. I did end up getting the Tesco Micro-Lite but then ended up shelling out for a Mountain Equipment Xero 350 a couple of weeks back. However a saved search on ebay emailed me about the Tesco Ultra-Lite down bag so now I have that aswell so think I'm kinda addicted now lol.

Current sleeping list is...

Vango Steller 300SQ
Vango Nitestar 250
Tesco Micro-Lite
Mountain Equipment Xero 350
Tesco Ultra-Lite

I think I'm going to get sell off the Vango Steller and the Micro-Lite as I cant see myself using them. I like the Nitestar and will be using the Xero throughout the year or maybe the Ultra-Lite in Summer.

dannyreid1978
13-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Hi I've just bought this yesterday morning with free delivery I know it's a four season and for colder months but the site has loads of well priced bags on

http://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/highlander-challenger-400.html

Happy camping

Danny

AdrianRose
13-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Great find Danny. Thanks for sharing.

Ade.

Adam Savage
13-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Just an update. I did end up getting the Tesco Micro-Lite but then ended up shelling out for a Mountain Equipment Xero 350 a couple of weeks back. However a saved search on ebay emailed me about the Tesco Ultra-Lite down bag so now I have that aswell so think I'm kinda addicted now lol.

Current sleeping list is...

Vango Steller 300SQ
Vango Nitestar 250
Tesco Micro-Lite
Mountain Equipment Xero 350
Tesco Ultra-Lite

I think I'm going to get sell off the Vango Steller and the Micro-Lite as I cant see myself using them. I like the Nitestar and will be using the Xero throughout the year or maybe the Ultra-Lite in Summer.

You can never have too many doss bags :p. I have both the Tesco ultra-lite and micro-lite, and like you say, there's not much point having both really, as they both pack down to the same size, and they both weigh about the same. Just one is down filled :D.

ADz
13-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi I've just bought this yesterday morning with free delivery I know it's a four season and for colder months but the site has loads of well priced bags on

http://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/highlander-challenger-400.html

Happy camping

Danny

Great price for such a bag, however it doesn't really pack down well.

Adam Savage
13-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Great price for such a bag, however it doesn't really pack down well.

I'm not sure about the 400, but I have a couple of the 200 (-12 rating) and they pack down to about 12 inch long by 8 inch diameter.
Remember not to store the bags in their compression sacks though, as it will wreck the insulation after a while :)

SimonB
13-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Ordered a current issue Army arctic sleeping bag off e-bay for £25 + £5 P&P.. Rated to -30* C. Also bought a one season mummy bag from Aldi a couple of weeks back... Hieght of season, they were £29.99. End of season clearance went down to £9.99.... Had a couple left just to get rid... £4.99... That's my sleeping sorted for the year. :)

Adam Savage
13-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Ordered a current issue Army arctic sleeping bag off e-bay for £25 + £5 P&P.. Rated to -30* C. Also bought a one season mummy bag from Aldi a couple of weeks back... Hieght of season, they were £29.99. End of season clearance went down to £9.99.... Had a couple left just to get rid... £4.99... That's my sleeping sorted for the year. :)

The current issue bags are nice and warm. The hardest part is finding them in a large, and with the proper compression sack :)
Add to that your Aldi bag, and you got yourself a bargain sleep system T^

SimonB
13-11-2012, 04:58 PM
The current issue bags are nice and warm. The hardest part is finding them in a large, and with the proper compression sack :)
Add to that your Aldi bag, and you got yourself a bargain sleep system T^

It is a large the army one..... ;)

Quite looking forward to trying them out very soon....... Got a bit of a meet lined up in a couple of weeks... T^

Adam Savage
13-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Don't forget to bring some photos back ;)

dannyreid1978
14-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Well my new sleeping bag came this morning and its huuuuuuuooowge!! But i haven't compressed it down properly, had a climb inside and I definitely won't need liners or bivouac bag it's toastie warm! (Almost fell asleep it was that snug!!!) 💤 Anyway I'm going to be out in it Sunday night and ill be taking my bergan so it'll fit no probs in the bottom of that!
Happy crafting all!

Danny

SimonB
14-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Well my new sleeping bag came this morning and its huuuuuuuooowge!! But i haven't compressed it down properly, had a climb inside and I definitely won't need liners or bivouac bag it's toastie warm! (Almost fell asleep it was that snug!!!) �� Anyway I'm going to be out in it Sunday night and ill be taking my bergan so it'll fit no probs in the bottom of that!
Happy crafting all!

Danny

My arctic bag has just arived......... I am like a kid in a sweetshop !!!!! :happy-clapping::camping:

Mein Rottweiller whinging that I have spent £30 on another sleeping bag after the £5 aldi one... :(

She'gone off cos I've spent it on kit... She'd be even less happy if I'd spent it on a BJ....;)

Silverback
14-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Lol Simon

dannyreid1978
14-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Ha ha brilliant!

Chubbs
14-11-2012, 09:33 PM
She'gone off cos I've spent it on kit... She'd be even less happy if I'd spent it on a BJ....;)

Classic !!

Don't worry mate, she is not the only missus in the world like her. Mine would moan for weeks, and weeks, and weeks.

SimonB
15-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Classic !!

Don't worry mate, she is not the only missus in the world like her. Mine would moan for weeks, and weeks, and weeks.

Mine does....... According to her I only have one problem.... I BREATHE !!!

Silverback
15-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Suppose some of us are quite lucky then, my Mrs doesnt whinge.....much

ADz
21-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Martin

I managed to source one of the Ultra-Lite bags on ebay. Tesco said they wont be selling them anymore so snapped it up. Its going to make a great Spring/Summer bag unless I use my Xero 350 all year. Thnx for recommendation bud.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Great news on getting your hands on one :). Bad news that Tesco won't be selling them again :(.

I shall have to look after mine, it might be worth something in the future lol

ADz
21-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Great news on getting your hands on one :). Bad news that Tesco won't be selling them again :(.

I shall have to look after mine, it might be worth something in the future lol

lol

I was slightly surprised they dont really loft up much but you cant really expect much for a £30 down bag.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think they used the minimum amount of down they could get away with, but hey, it's a 2 season bag, it's gotta beat sleeping under ya jacket :p