PDA

View Full Version : Making my own under blanket for the ukhammock.

fish
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Now as i am wanting to get out all through the winter i am gonna need an under quilt for the hammock,ive looked at the prices and theyre probably good value but they dont look hard to make, ive got a sewing machine here and an idea in me head.Also ive bought a 15 tog single duvet to cut up to the desired shape and bought 10 yards of 1.1 ripstop in OD , shock cord cord locks and mini caribiners.
so any tips?

Roadkillphil
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Jus Young did and Wayne (Sapper) made their own and did threads to go with um... two secs I'll see if I can find them

Roadkillphil
10-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Here's Justins.... http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2777-DIY-underquilt-project&highlight=underquilt

And Waynes .... http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2963-diy-underquilt-from-sleeping-bag-inspired-by-others

Hope this helps :D

fish
10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
cheers phil,heres my plan so far:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/hammockdraw.png

Roadkillphil
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
As long as you use good quality tar paint, i reckon she'll float fine and be a pleasure to paddle...... hang on a minute??? :p

fish
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
lol ille tell mrs fish you said that about her.....lol

jus_young
10-10-2012, 10:05 PM
As long as you use good quality tar paint, i reckon she'll float fine and be a pleasure to paddle...... hang on a minute??? :p

PMSL :happy-clapping:

It is an absolute doddle to make, just ensure that you get a good length on the underquilt to avoid cold feet. I have so got to get on with my down version, its just finding the time!

AL...
10-10-2012, 10:57 PM
HAHAHA !!! Ok tea all over the screen .................... AGAIN!!!
Magic stuff :D

Cheers
AL

Silverback
10-10-2012, 11:22 PM

just spat guiness all over the monitor lol

Incidentally I havent used that UQ since its first outing when i replaced it with a US Army poncho liner adapted as a UQ which has provided sterling service up to now. However i have just got a DD Frontline hammock and the fitted mosi net may play havoc with my system so some changes may need to be made, not only that but its getting much colder and something more substantial is required

suggy
11-10-2012, 10:49 AM
cheers phil,heres my plan so far:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/hammockdraw.png

Whilst you are at it, consider running shock cord channels through the ends of the underquilt allowing you to cinch up the ends if so desired.

Here's a pic of mine with the end channels cinched up.5585

Good luck with the project ! :)

fish
11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
good thinking batman!

fish
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
can anyone think of a reason why most folk use shock cord to attach their under quilt when you could just sew velcro along the edge of the hammock and the quilt?

f0rm4t
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
You use shock cord so it sits up nice a snug to you, with a bit of give in it for movement, If you used 550 it would stress at the fixing points when you moved (sat up for instance).
However velcro *may* work mate. Same issues *may* exist though fish. Personally I'd stick with shock.

T^

FishyFolk
12-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Velcro is not so good for winter use. If you get snow in your velcro, it does not velcro...as any 3 year old kid in Norway can tell you. So shovk cord should be better...until it gets so cold that he shock cord does not shock....mmm... Muy wife is right....I do think to much!

craige
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Check out hammockforums, they have almost endless info on diy uqs. Looking like it could be good though. Make sure you post your results!

jus_young
12-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I used cord on my UQ initially and found that when you lay in the hammock, the cord tightens around you and prevents a good laying position. It really makes things uncomfortable so I changed it to shockcord and what a difference! I used 5mm shock and it supports the UQ very well. I can position it around my feet and shoulders and it pretty much stays in place all night with no cold spots.

Silverback
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I used cord on my UQ initially and found that when you lay in the hammock, the cord tightens around you and prevents a good laying position. It really makes things uncomfortable so I changed it to shockcord and what a difference!

Likewise.

FishyFolk
12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
How thick should the cord be. Wan't to order some from evil bay...

Silverback
12-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I used 5mm Rune, mainly because I had it lying around and its black

fish
13-10-2012, 08:38 AM
some good points there,saved me a lot of work ,now what do i do with 50m of od velcro..........

GalaxyRider
15-10-2012, 08:07 PM
some good points there,saved me a lot of work ,now what do i do with 50m of od velcro..........

Now there is one I can answer! Buy some ex-Army coveralls and cover them with one side, then put all the other side vertically up a wall. Get a childs trampoline and see how far up the wall you can get yourself to stick. I did a similar thing at a stag night once, fantastic fun :D

fish
15-10-2012, 08:30 PM
omg.................theres some strange folk on ere!

Silverback
15-10-2012, 08:48 PM
It was actually a bar game in the 90's i think...I believe it may have even been called bar fly

jus_young
15-10-2012, 10:25 PM
It was actually a bar game in the 90's i think...I believe it may have even been called bar fly

Thats the one! Back when I was working in the factories we used to hire a big inflatable version for fundraising events. You would dress up in a bright green or orange suit and throw yourself at the wall upside down. It was great fun!

Hathor
16-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Wasn't there a version in NZ called Dwarf Throwing? The courts banned it but had to reverse the decision when challenged by the person being thrown as a breach of their right to make a living.... something like that.

biker-bri
16-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Thrilling conversation folks but way:off-topic:

GalaxyRider
16-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Thrilling conversation folks but way:off-topic:

So what?

Silverback
16-10-2012, 04:06 PM
So hows the project coming on Fish? I was going to make a new winter UQ then I had one of those eureka moments...the one that said why not just combine the 2 thin ones I made to make one thicker one DOH !

jacko1066
16-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I am looking at getting the Dd frontline hammock.

I have only just discovered hammocking and loved it. I borrowed a mates dd travel and it was awesome.

I am defo gonna get an under quilt but lack the ability to make one.

Another option I have found is at ukhammocks, if you have an old sleeping bag down or synthetic, they will convert it into an under quilt for £50.

No connection etc etc, just thought it was a great idea!!

Cheers
Steve

Realearner
17-10-2012, 08:14 AM
omg.................theres some strange folk on ere!

You only just realised ;)

AL...
17-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Im not strange Im just diffrent! :jumping-joy: :tongue:

Cheers
AL