PDA

View Full Version : My First Knife

IBrown
05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
HI,
Happy new year to all,
I am new to BUshcraft and my Daughter decided to get me a knife for xmas. She bought a Jack Pike Bushcraft knife, it is very sharp but i find the blade very wide and cumbersome for a 4" Blade and the sheath is of poor quality. Has anyone had experience of this knife and can advise me on whether i should buy something different or is this a good bushcraft knife and i am just inexperienced in its use.
Regards
Ian

KERNOW KELT
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi and HNY
I cant help you ref the Jack Pike knife... I use a Mora 510, purchased it from Ray mears (about 10/11 GBP last year) Good item for the money. I also have a stainless steel Hultifor craftsmans knife, again about a tenner, again a top item for the outlay.
Hope that helps?
David
Cornwall

Bambii
05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I too can't help you with a reference, but I'm very sure most people on this forum will tell you that Mora Knives are top quality.

They might be cheap but really really good!!

swkieran
05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
kernow celt i bet that ray mears knife is brill,was looking at it few months ago only down side to it was the hefty price.is it a top knife or is it just cause it has ray mears on it

KERNOW KELT
05-01-2011, 09:37 PM
It is a cracking knife, esp for the money, has a longer tang that the MORA CLIPPER.... but I would happily carry a CLIPPER. as BAMBII says MORA makes excellent knives. I also think HULTIFOR knives are worth a look.

comanighttrain
05-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Agree with above...mora seems to be the beginner blade of choice...

IBrown
06-01-2011, 07:22 AM
After reading a lot about what knife is best for Bushcraft, the Mora knives contradict the full tang is best argument. Thats why I asked for a full tang knife for Xmas and the Jack Pike knife is full tang. I like the price of the mora knives £10..but I believe you get what you pay for, not the case where knives are concerned it seems.
Many thanks for your advice. This site has helped me a great deal in getting my kit together for this years trips. I am a fly fisherman and spend most of my time in the middle of nowhere fishing small steams, normally in the welsh mountains.

Again many thanks for all your help
Ian

Bambii
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
kernow celt i bet that ray mears knife is brill,was looking at it few months ago only down side to it was the hefty price.is it a top knife or is it just cause it has ray mears on it

I don't know whether this is true or not, i was watching a video on youtube by a use called Englishmaninontario. In one of his videos he said that they were discontinuing one kind of the knife and ray mears managed to get his hands on a bunch of them.

swkieran
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
where do you buy mora knifes from i need a versatile decent knife myself,i love my kukhri but its like weilding an axe sometimes lol

Bambii
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
There is LOADS of places that sell mora knives, they are all around the same price.

Just a quick google.

KERNOW KELT
06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Thats true, RM has bought a limited supply of the MORA 510 MG Knife.. Changed the handle from red to a military olive green now selling for 12gbp inc VAT. There is a good review on the RM website and his web shop. All in all its a nice bit of kit at a reasonable price.
David

swkieran
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
thx mate :)

KERNOW KELT
06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Also dont dismiss the HULTIFORS range of knives, I have a gray handled knife, similar blade to the MORA, good quality and it came in at10gbp inc VAT and carriage.
David

swkieran
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
ok ill have a little search around on google thank you for the advice david as i dont no an awful lot about knifes,my kukhri is a dual function knife but the down side is like i said its bulky