PDA

View Full Version : The Handy Hammock - Worlds Lightest Self Supporting Hammock

mstaines
16-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I was recently given the opportunity to review and test the new Handy Hammock, a British design by a company of the same name (Handy Hammock). This is the lightest self supporting hammock in the world, weighing in at 1.53Kg

It is not meant to take the place of the traditional 2 tree setup, but more for use when going on holiday, on the beach, in the garden, or up on the fells where there are no trees...

Would be interested to hear your views and comments. I have included a link to a recent review I did on the Handy Hammock below :

Watch Review Here (http://youtu.be/XBDd6-JusGA)

Regards,

Mick

Reaps72
16-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Looks really good, I'd be tempted by one of those! but I still prefer my tent!

fish
16-10-2012, 07:21 AM
incredible bit of design.

mstaines
16-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Looks really good, I'd be tempted by one of those! but I still prefer my tent!

I agree, for such a simple design, it is very strong. Im sure it will find its place in the market...

Silverback
16-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Mmmm innovative

Dan XF
16-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Great idea for places with more dependable weather but the lack of overhead cover would put me off for this country. That said it is the cleverest bit of geometry I've ever seen, the designer must be a mathematician or architect.

blindgeekuk
16-10-2012, 08:53 AM
For someone like me who is rubbish at knots, it looks great. My main concerns would be the way the hammock rings sit on top of the strut - they look like they could slip off a little too easily, and nowhere on their site does it give a maximum weight the hammock would hold.

Interestingly, on their site, they mention they are prototyping canopies and integrated sleeping bags. Certianly one to keep an eye on. Thanks for the video review Mick!

mstaines
16-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Great idea for places with more dependable weather but the lack of overhead cover would put me off for this country. That said it is the cleverest bit of geometry I've ever seen, the designer must be a mathematician or architect.

I believe there is a canopy attachment, which is in the pipeline, that creates a tarp/basha type setup over the hammock, but clips to the existing structure. There will also be a sleep system/under blanket add on too...

mstaines
16-10-2012, 08:57 AM
For someone like me who is rubbish at knots, it looks great. My main concerns would be the way the hammock rings sit on top of the strut - they look like they could slip off a little too easily, and nowhere on their site does it give a maximum weight the hammock would hold.

Interestingly, on their site, they mention they are prototyping canopies and integrated sleeping bags. Certianly one to keep an eye on. Thanks for the video review Mick!

the setup takes upto 125Kg... I think its highlighted on their little animated cartoon demo...

AL...
16-10-2012, 12:58 PM
That is a real nice bit of kit and once it can get a tarp over the top its gonna be even better . only thing I can see wrong with it is you got to have good ground beneth ye because of the lenght of the pegs.
Just my take on what Ive seen in the vid .
But if this is the first that they have come up with I can only see good thing comming from the builders.

Cheers
AL

mstaines
16-10-2012, 01:09 PM
That is a real nice bit of kit and once it can get a tarp over the top its gonna be even better . only thing I can see wrong with it is you got to have good ground beneth ye because of the lenght of the pegs.
Just my take on what Ive seen in the vid .
But if this is the first that they have come up with I can only see good thing comming from the builders.

Cheers
AL

Yes, valid point about the ground Al, but Handy Hammocks will be making some 600mm stakes (twice the current length) for softer ground and sand, plus additional fixings for marsh/wetland type ground, which will be interesting to look at, when they are made available...

Silverback
16-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, valid point about the ground Al, but Handy Hammocks will be making some 600mm stakes (twice the current length) for softer ground and sand, plus additional fixings for marsh/wetland type ground, which will be interesting to look at, when they are made available...

Yes I was wondering how it would deal with Dark Peak peat.....

Tigger004
16-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Very interesting design, we all know the stresses and strains on trees and support lines when hanging a hammock, impressive,
I will watch with interest as they develope,
Jeff

f0rm4t
16-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Nice bit of kit that.
To be honest though, I don't fancy those pegs staying straight for long. nor getting them secured all the way in, without prospecting obstacle free soil to push into ten times over. ;)

fish
16-10-2012, 08:40 PM
all this kind of imput from us would be really helpfull to the designer i recon.

f0rm4t
16-10-2012, 08:44 PM
all this kind of imput from us would be really helpfull to the designer i recon.

Totally agree fish!

Ben Coulter
20-10-2012, 02:11 PM
:oHi everyone, I've just uploaded a review of the handy hammock, for anyone interested..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ8wLPe65Uw

blindgeekuk
29-11-2012, 01:33 PM
They've added pictures of the canopy and sleeping bag prototypes http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/page/product-range-extensions

(though interestingly, the canopy picture claims to have been taken on 29/07/2011)

jus_young
30-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Don't like the look of that canopy, does not provide enough cover. With rain and a breeze blowing through things are going to get a bit wet under there.

happybonzo
01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
When it gets a tarp setup I'll be interested. It'll be ideal for Mrs B as it what she has always wanted

jus_young
01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
The idea is a good one overall but I get the impression that style is taking priority over function. When your after a good nights sleep and a shelter that will keep you dry as well as provide somewhere to cook, then functionality must come first. The poduct will not sell if it fails in these areas imho.

mountainm
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Last I knew the designer of these was looking for an investor to take the project forward. They've been around for a while and I've always wanted to try before I buy. Id be more interested in just the stand components to see if they could be adapted to an existing hammock. That one looks a little small.