PDA

View Full Version : Bags, Bags and Bags!

Humakt
26-10-2012, 08:41 AM
My old shoulder bag is just about dead.
I need a new one.
It's between these two - a 5.11 one:
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/511-tactical-push-pack---choice-of-colours-3359-p.asp

Or a Jack Pyke bag:
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/jack-pyke-countryman-canvas-and-leather-bag-703-p.asp

Both will do the job I require of them. Cost difference isn't an issue. But they are both quite different in look. I can see advantages and disadvantages with both. But I just can't decide.
Which would you go for? Keeping in mind that both would do what I need them for, and the cost difference isn't important. I suspect it just comes down to aesthetics - whether you prefer the tactical look or the rural look. Or something.
If you have either of these bags then I'd also love to know what you think. Even better would be the opinion of someone who has both!
So which do you prefer?

FishyFolk
26-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Get the first one. My molle bag is the same design and it just works. Very comfortable to carry, and loads of space. Actually I recomend you get the same as I have. The color I chose also makes it look somewhat less "tactical".

fish
26-10-2012, 09:50 AM
ive got the jsck pyke in english oak,its very durable.

ian c
26-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I had the 5.11 which i gave to the mrs, i use my old grab / man bag (its bigger) for when i am about an about, it has 3 mag pouches on the front and 2 small pouches on either side of the main bag, it has a large main pouch with a small flat pouch on the rear for maps ect.

Silverback
26-10-2012, 05:13 PM
i use my old grab / man bag (its bigger) for when i am about an about, it has 3 mag pouches on the front and 2 small pouches on either side of the main bag, it has a large main pouch with a small flat pouch on the rear for maps ect.

I use the MTP camo version....no map pocket.

you can see it in this photo

Aragorn
26-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I used to have a maxpidition jumbo, but prefer the traditional look more these days, I would go with the second, keep it simple !

butchthedog
29-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry, I have neither though I do like the look of the first one. I will probably be on the want now, why did I look at this post :confused2:

Dave

Primerib
29-10-2012, 03:27 PM
The 5.11. reminds me very much of my maxpedition versipack which i love very much! Maxpedition is not really cheap but very good quality. Have it for all the small bits and pieces of gear which don't go into my jacketpockets when hunting or fishing. Extra ammo, back up knife, folding knife, plastic bag, torch etc etc. Just perfect! Especially the hipstrap is great - keeping the bag in place when going over obstacles or picking up stuff. I think that strap was missing on the 5.11, right?

The JP Bag is a nice looking bag alright! A leather strap would have been nice though. With the webbing strap it looks like the best out of two worlds.

Old Guard
29-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Jack Pyke ..... it's traditional :D