PDA

View Full Version : Is this the largest "Cramp Ball" in the world?

AdrianRose
05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi folks

Thought I'd share this with you.

As my damaged back seems to be getting better, I went for a walk out yesterday and found this beauty.

I've been collecting and using King Alfred's cakes/Cramp Balls for years but this has to be the largest I have ever found.

I reckon I could cook a whole venison burger on it!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/05/sy2uha2y.jpg

Ade

Silverback
05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow Ade what big balls you have...........

wish I could find even the smallest ones locally - either there arent any or I just havent got my eye in

fish
05-11-2012, 08:55 AM
wow thats a monster!

Chubbs
05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Thats a beauty mate, nice find.

Up until the recent Cornwall meet I had never seen or tried using a Crampball before. Ashley did a demo with them and handed them out for us all to try making a fire with. They really do produce some heat and very quickly light tinder for your fire. I have had a few walks in the local woods looking for them without success, so are they more available in greater quantities in different parts of the country compared to the South West.

TheOutdoorist
05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Biggest I've ever seen.. only ever found a couple on a fallen tree quite locally but I have not really looked for them.

Ben

Tigger004
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Shows how ignorant I am, I would have thought, that's not "leave no trace" Bit of burnt wood lying around....lol

ADz
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Shows how ignorant I am, I would have thought "that's not leave no trace" Bit of burnt wood lying around....lol

If you're referring to the picture its not wood, Its fungi.

OakAshandThorn
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Dang! They sure don't get anywhere close to that size around here in Connecticut.
Great find :D

ian c
05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I have been lucky i can find them most of the time around here in Sussex but never found any as big as the one you have found. NICE find.

AdrianRose
05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
We gets loads of them here. But this is the largest one I've found by far.

It's worrying to think that they might be endangered if Ash Die Back takes hold.

Ade