PDA

View Full Version : TW Or DD Hammock What Would You Choose

Chubbs
17-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Christmas is nearly hear and I have asked SWMBO for a hammock from Santa. The problem is both companies make good hammocks. The DD Frontline is breathable compared to their travel hammock but TW Hammocks make the Hornet which is zipped where you stick your underblanket and they make one which is 1.8 metre wide.

Which one do you guys and gals use and why is it better than the other.

Cheers Neil

mountainm
17-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I had a dd travel I now have a tw grey hornet and a tw xl. In winter the xl with no bug net is great. It's so big you get a very flat lay. In summer the grey hornet is still bigger than the dd so comfier. Hence me selling the dd.

swright81076
17-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi, I have a dd camping hammock, not bothered about the mozzy net, and I love it. I'm a big guy and find it very comfy. I do have my eye on a warbonnet blackbird though, but that'll have to be a pressy from Santa.
Never used a tw so can't comment, but dd's are tough.

jus_young
17-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Tell you later, the lads not in bed yet...

jus_young
17-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Now he is :)

Looking at the two together (just bought the TW Hornet for his Christmas present) There is not a huge amount of difference in the general design but there are a few subtle differences that may make you sway more towards one rather than the other so here are my thoughts so far:

Overall design

Well, a hammock is a hammock and there are not a lot of different ways of changing that! Both the TW Hornet and the DD Travel/Frontline utilise the double layer base with a bug net for bite protection. The Travel from DD is the only one to boast a waterproof base but this impacts on breathability. The DD's also have a zip on each side of the bug net as opposed to the TW Hornet that I have bought, but there are other versions available with twin zips. The TW, however, has a zip to close the two base layers as opposed to a few bits of velcro for the DD's. There is also a softer feel to the material utilised to make the TW hammocks.

Space

I have not been in the TW yet as its my sons present but I have strung it up to check it over so there are no disappointments on Christmas Day. What I did notice was that the TW looks like its wider and therefore forms a deeper base in which to lay. This helps with getting that diagonal position for a good nights sleep. The net also stands much higher when rigged, and I reckon that I could quite easily sit up in there without touching the net. When it comes to the DD, I have used it quite a few times and slept very well indead. The more cramped conditions have never bothered me as I never knew anything different. The DD just works

Quality

It looks good so far. The sewing is spot on, no loose ends or bits not done, durable multiple stitching on all stress points, in fact I can't find anything different between the two again. What I do know is that the DD so far has stood up to the use its had with no problems but the TW is still unused, only time will tell.

Other Stuff

The TW came with enough strapping, stainless rings and webbing to get you swinging from the trees. The DD comes with a little less but probably enough as you will soon be adapting it anyway! What did work for me with the TW though is a rather nice stuff sack that has multiple compression straps and enough spare room to put in a TW XL tarp and rigging with room to spare. The DD comes with a standard stuff bag but does not make it impossible to put the hammock back in thankfully. Both also come with ally tubes to spread the bug net open.

The Verdict

The TW hammocks really do look good and I may well get swayed in their direction when I get to climb in on Christmas Day. The DD is an impressive bit of kit and I love it to bits but I just have this little feeling that the extra space in the TW Hornet might make it a bit more comfortable, if that can be done. Either way you can't lose and TW have some lovely looking gear, I have bought a couple of the Sargasso Tarps aswell and these are half the packed size of the DD 3x3, but maybe a little less versatile for the moment until the sewing machine comes out again :evilgrin:

AL...
18-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Love the write up.

Cheers
AL

Chubbs
18-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, there seems to be pro's and cons for both. Excellent write up Jus. I'm a big lad as well and I tend to move around a lot when sleeping so a larger hammock might be a better idea. The Travel Hammock might not be a good idea due to the breathability issues. I tend to chuck the quilt off at home in the middle of Winter and the meds I am on make me burn up quite a lot so I think one that breathes would be a better idea. I do like the idea of the covered ends on the Hornet Hammock, plus the zip feature which keeps in the underquilt instead of velcro. The TW Hammocks are slightly cheaper than the DD (a tenner) but TW don't sell the hammock sleeves.

I will have to make my mind up soon, otherwise it will be socks for Christmas again !!.

Cheers Neil

OakAshandThorn
18-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Well, this thread will be mighty useful to me, since I've only snoozed in a snoozing bag :). I've been wondering whether I should go with a DD or TW myself. Right now I may go with the TW Hornet, but I'm open to suggestions from great folks like you ;).

Now he is :)

Looking at the two together (just bought the TW Hornet for his Christmas present) There is not a huge amount of difference in the general design but there are a few subtle differences that may make you sway more towards one rather than the other so here are my thoughts so far:

Overall design

Well, a hammock is a hammock and there are not a lot of different ways of changing that! Both the TW Hornet and the DD Travel/Frontline utilise the double layer base with a bug net for bite protection. The Travel from DD is the only one to boast a waterproof base but this impacts on breathability. The DD's also have a zip on each side of the bug net as opposed to the TW Hornet that I have bought, but there are other versions available with twin zips. The TW, however, has a zip to close the two base layers as opposed to a few bits of velcro for the DD's. There is also a softer feel to the material utilised to make the TW hammocks.

Space

I have not been in the TW yet as its my sons present but I have strung it up to check it over so there are no disappointments on Christmas Day. What I did notice was that the TW looks like its wider and therefore forms a deeper base in which to lay. This helps with getting that diagonal position for a good nights sleep. The net also stands much higher when rigged, and I reckon that I could quite easily sit up in there without touching the net. When it comes to the DD, I have used it quite a few times and slept very well indead. The more cramped conditions have never bothered me as I never knew anything different. The DD just works

Quality

It looks good so far. The sewing is spot on, no loose ends or bits not done, durable multiple stitching on all stress points, in fact I can't find anything different between the two again. What I do know is that the DD so far has stood up to the use its had with no problems but the TW is still unused, only time will tell.

Other Stuff

The TW came with enough strapping, stainless rings and webbing to get you swinging from the trees. The DD comes with a little less but probably enough as you will soon be adapting it anyway! What did work for me with the TW though is a rather nice stuff sack that has multiple compression straps and enough spare room to put in a TW XL tarp and rigging with room to spare. The DD comes with a standard stuff bag but does not make it impossible to put the hammock back in thankfully. Both also come with ally tubes to spread the bug net open.

The Verdict

The TW hammocks really do look good and I may well get swayed in their direction when I get to climb in on Christmas Day. The DD is an impressive bit of kit and I love it to bits but I just have this little feeling that the extra space in the TW Hornet might make it a bit more comfortable, if that can be done. Either way you can't lose and TW have some lovely looking gear, I have bought a couple of the Sargasso Tarps aswell and these are half the packed size of the DD 3x3, but maybe a little less versatile for the moment until the sewing machine comes out again :evilgrin:
Wow - well thought-out review! :)
Thanks for sharing the info :D.

mountainm
18-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Dd sleeves fit on tw hammocks. Preferring bishop bags now myself.

Chubbs
18-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Dd sleeves fit on tw hammocks. Preferring bishop bags now myself.

I had to Google Bishop Bags as I didn't know what they were but after finding out they look a good idea.

I think I am now sold on the TW Hammock now. I saw a vid on Youtube and the guy was not small but he said that they had masses of room. I have sent TW an email to see if they still sell the 1.8 metre wide Green Hornet with the double zips. If so, one will be mine this Christmas.

jus_young
18-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I bought the sleeve, or snake skin, when I bought the DD. Didn't use it for long as I found it just made the packaged hammock or tarp even bulkier. Its easier to use the bags and it really does not take long to pack up properly.

mountainm
18-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I bought the sleeve, or snake skin, when I bought the DD. Din't use it for long as I found it just made the packaged hammock or tarp even bulkier. Its easier to use the bags and it really does not take laong to pack up properly.

Hence bishop bags. It does both jobs very well. So much easier to pack away, especially if you've set up a structural ridge line.

freedom
19-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Well guys I am convert from ground dwell to dd hammock and tarp. Xmas present to myself ssssh dont tell missus

Chubbs
20-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I think I am now sold on the TW Hammock now. I saw a vid on Youtube and the guy was not small but he said that they had masses of room. I have sent TW an email to see if they still sell the 1.8 metre wide Green Hornet with the double zips. If so, one will be mine this Christmas.

Yippie !!!! I received an email from those wonderful people at TW this morning and they told me they always make a few extra when a customer requests a size or design that is not normally for sale. They had a small amount left so after a little sweet talk to the boss she agreed to buy me one for Christmas as long as its not opened until then by me, although she will check it over when delivered. The one I have bought is the 2.8m x 1.8m Green Hornet which is double zipped to include where the underquilt goes instead of the standard velcro.

A tarp can wait till after the new year because I don't plan to try sleeping outdoors in it for a while. Even though I was swayed towards TW for my hammock, I might go the other way for a tarp. You seem to have more options with the DD and they look better and have a bigger size. There again, TW sell the Cornelius Tarp which is a little lighter at 1200g compared to 1250 For the DD but the Cornelius looks more heavy duty and comes with D ring hangers for a mozzi net, corner segments and ridgeline loops. The only downside is that it is 3 x 3 compared to the DD which is 4 x 4.

At least it will give me time to weigh up the pros and cons on both for a while before I buy one.

Cheers Neil

mountainm
20-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Good choice. You won't be disappointed.

Silverback
20-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a TW basic hammock which is light, simple and roomy. Main pain in the rear was having to use a separate bug net. A mate was selling a DD frontline so I bought that from him for a very nice price but havent had the chance to use it yet.

I have the cornelius tarp too, but its the heavier MK1 version, but its very robust and offers wonderful protection from the elements

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I have the cornelius tarp too, but its the heavier MK1 version, but its very robust and offers wonderful protection from the elements

It does look a good bit of kit but its just the size that bothers me. Considering it is only 3 x 3, there won't be much room left it it compared to a DD 4.5 x 3.0 or a 4 x 4.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Make sure you don't get a "compact" or a "scout" hammock, whichever manufacturer you go for, as the reduced length really makes your ankles push together, ending up in an uncomfortable night.

like others have said, I have used both DD and TW and found the "build quality" and choice of materials to be pretty much the same. You'll be happy with either I think, so go for what you can afford, in whichever brand. It's also worth checking DDs website for their "seconds", as these only have minor faults (which can easily be fixed), but are normally half price. :)

Adam

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the advice Adam.

The one I have bought is the Green Hornet 2.8 metre long x 1.8 metre wide and is fitted with two zips instead of one. I thought it would be better if the place where the underblanket goes was zipped instead of velcro.

Complete off topic, did another forum member ask about Tesco microlight sleeping bags the other day. Just been up to our local and they have them in for just under twenty quid.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh, sorry bud, didn't realise you actually received one lol. Sounds like the perfect size mate. Think you'll be nice an cozy in that. It might take you a few nights to find "your" ideal setup, but I'm sure you'll settle in nicely.

I know someone was asking about the Ultra-lite (down filled version), but not sure about the Micro-lite...

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh, sorry bud, didn't realise you actually received one lol. Sounds like the perfect size mate. Think you'll be nice an cozy in that. It might take you a few nights to find "your" ideal setup, but I'm sure you'll settle in nicely.

I know someone was asking about the Ultra-lite (down filled version), but not sure about the Micro-lite...

I havn't got it yet mate, its somewhere in the postal system. I can start looking at making my underquilt now. I have a full bin bag of the contents of a duck feather and down single quilt to use as a filling. I have loads of sleeping bags in the loft so I might open one up, empty it, convert and fill it.

Aah, I must have got my wires crossed about the micro-lite

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Sounds cool. look forward to seeing your homemade UQ. A few of the guys on here have made their own (or gotten the missus to make it for them :p), and so far they all seem to work well. I'll be testing my homemade UQ this weekend, over in sunny Wales. Will be getting some video coverage of the weekend, so hopefully add a few words on the quilt too.

You may be right about the micro. I often miss threads and posts on here, so it's more than likely someone has mentioned one :)

mark
21-11-2012, 07:47 PM
im 6'2'' and the wrong side of 18 stone. the dd frontline is a good unit. i sleep sound in mine better then in my own bed.

Silverback
21-11-2012, 08:15 PM
im 6'2'' and the wrong side of 18 stone. the dd frontline is a good unit. i sleep sound in mine better then in my own bed.

Makes me feel a whole lot happier about my untested purchase

mountainm
21-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Makes me feel a whole lot happier about my untested purchase

They're both good hammocks so don't sweat it. They also hold there value very well if you do find its not for you.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 09:05 PM
They're both good hammocks so don't sweat it. They also hold there value very well if you do find its not for you.

That is a good thing to know, as a few people never seem to get on with swinging from trees.

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Even though I will be making an underquilt, I have just viewed a vid on Youtube where a guy uses one of those Polish sleeping mats instead. I have a couple of them with my kit, so I might try one out. They are no good for hiking or walking due to the weight which I think is about 9kg but they are thick (about two and a half inches) , long and very comfy.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 09:37 PM
WOW, 9kg, that's nearly as much as my overnight pack lol

GwersyllaCnau
21-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I bought a Hennessy last year. Although it was much comfier than a tent I failed to see how everyone said a hammock was REALLY comfy.

Then I bought the DD frontline.

I still have a problem..... Even at 9am or 9:30am I'm quite happy just to lay there in the hammock.

jus_young
21-11-2012, 10:01 PM
...I still have a problem..... Even at 9am or 9:30am I'm quite happy just to lay there in the hammock.

I can certainly see where you are coming from on that one. On the last outing I think Phil was the only one that stayed in the hammock longer than me.

mountainm
21-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I bought a Hennessy last year. Although it was much comfier than a tent I failed to see how everyone said a hammock was REALLY comfy.

Then I bought the DD frontline.

I still have a problem..... Even at 9am or 9:30am I'm quite happy just to lay there in the hammock.

Which hennessy was it? Not the asym deluxe surely?

GwersyllaCnau
21-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Which hennessy was it? Not the asym deluxe surely?

Asym Expedition. In hindsight I should have bought the Explorer Deluxe even though I'm only 5'9" the standard explorer is too small for me. Still don't think it'd beat the frontline though.

mountainm
21-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Asym Expedition. In hindsight I should have bought the Explorer Deluxe even though I'm only 5'9" the standard explorer is too small for me. Still don't think it'd beat the frontline though.

From my tests you get a flatter lay in the asym deluxe than the dd frontline. But the tw hornet extra wide is as comfy (I have a £15 standard tw extra wide and long and it's amazingly comfy, no bug net though).

Tigger004
30-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I have the TW xl dual layer basic hammock, used it for a couple years and it's great,
Just made myself a clear tarp from plastic sheet (toolstation polythene 3x4m cut into hexagon) with gorilla tape for the torsion lines, got the idea from a $3 tarp on youtube , The reason for clear is you're still covered but have a window on the world.
Not tried it out yet (my other tarp is an army basha - excellent but not huge)

Youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqaSYONkTFQ

BushcraftJustin
11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
TW Hammock = Great!!! :happy-clapping:

surplus 6
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I have a TW basic hammock which is light, simple and roomy. Main pain in the rear was having to use a separate bug net. A mate was selling a DD frontline so I bought that from him for a very nice price but havent had the chance to use it yet.

is this anything like you have
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hammocks-Red-XL-Camping-Garden-Hammock-2-8m-/390502375088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5aebc15eb0
as I fancy having a go at hanging, but don't want to spend a fortune to find out I hate it.
or more like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hammocks-Camouflage-Bushcraft-Camping-Hammock-2-8M-/390489798628?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4659022885596743876%26pid%3 D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D390489798628% 26

Tigger004
05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi surplus 6,
I have two of the TW xl and love them, all I changed was the suspension which can be seen in my photos, I also have a standard Tw and it's great too but too short for my liking (get a bit of shoulder pinch) - hope this is of use

FishyFolk
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
When I get my proper hamock, I'll probably land on the TW Hammocks Green Hornet Hammock 1.8m wide.
I am 5,9 tall and 105 kilos...well, hoping that my walks will bring me to a two digit weith this season, lol

aman
24-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Yippie !!!! I received an email from those wonderful people at TW this morning and they told me they always make a few extra when a customer requests a size or design that is not normally for sale. They had a small amount left so after a little sweet talk to the boss she agreed to buy me one for Christmas as long as its not opened until then by me, although she will check it over when delivered. The one I have bought is the 2.8m x 1.8m Green Hornet which is double zipped to include where the underquilt goes instead of the standard velcro.

A tarp can wait till after the new year because I don't plan to try sleeping outdoors in it for a while. Even though I was swayed towards TW for my hammock, I might go the other way for a tarp. You seem to have more options with the DD and they look better and have a bigger size. There again, TW sell the Cornelius Tarp which is a little lighter at 1200g compared to 1250 For the DD but the Cornelius looks more heavy duty and comes with D ring hangers for a mozzi net, corner segments and ridgeline loops. The only downside is that it is 3 x 3 compared to the DD which is 4 x 4.

At least it will give me time to weigh up the pros and cons on both for a while before I buy one.

Cheers Neil

Is that the one I slept in when I came camping at woodlands with you guys?

I am looking for a hammock at the moment but can't make up my mind on TW or DD

Paul

Chubbs
26-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Hello mate

Hows you, its been a while.

It was the TW you slept in, it was the Hornet 1.8 metre wide one.

For other forum members, Aman used my hammock as originally I was going to spend the night in a tent with my daughter. We ended up in casualty for nearly nine hours after she slipped with a Mora knife and went straight though three fingers. After all that, we ended up going back home feeling a little sorry for ourselves. She is fine now, wouldn't even notice any scarring.

Buy from the TW website, its cheaper and postage is also free.

Cheers mate.

Silkhi
27-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Not got much to add as I haven't tried a TW hammock - they sound interesting though. I have a few DD products, a camping and ultralight hammock, a 3 x 3 tarp and their bergan all of which regularly feature in my excursions. No complaints at all, been very impressed with the gear and service.

aman
29-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Hello mate

Hows you, its been a while.

It was the TW you slept in, it was the Hornet 1.8 metre wide one.

For other forum members, Aman used my hammock as originally I was going to spend the night in a tent with my daughter. We ended up in casualty for nearly nine hours after she slipped with a Mora knife and went straight though three fingers. After all that, we ended up going back home feeling a little sorry for ourselves. She is fine now, wouldn't even notice any scarring.

Buy from the TW website, its cheaper and postage is also free.

Cheers mate.

Thanks Chubbs

Glad your daughter is OK

I think I have made my mind up bout the hammock. I did like the Hornet but I like the way the DD zips down both sides so you can get the bug net up out of the way. I also like the look of their multi cam version although I am not normally a fan of camo I think it would be great for stealth camping.

Hope to go out to woodlands again soon with you guys

Paul

aman
01-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I having jitters about the multi cam now.

I have never been a fan of camo and they don't do the under blanket in camo which is going to cover most of the hammock if I choose to use one

Maybe just go for the normal front line hammock and later think about getting the camo tarp

Why is life so complicated

paul

aman
04-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Well I have just done a complete u turn and bought a TW 3m x 1.8m Hornet with double zips. I read a few reviews about the frontline and a lot of people thought they were a little narrow. I have slept it chubbs' 1.8m wide hornet and it was very comfortable. This is the same it just has double zips on the bug net so you can tie it up out of the way and get in/out from either side

Paul