PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, please!

JEEP
20-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Lately I have noticed that this forum has taken a somewhat bad turn as to general behaviour and tone.

I will mention no names - and neither should anyone else. If anyone has been behaving out of line, they probably already know it themselves.

Though I do understand that some topics/discussions can be very emotional - that is no reason to loose one's temper and abbandon the gentlemanly code of conduct, that this forum is so well known and loved for.

I can understand, from PM's and discussions on the forum, that some members feel that certain other members has been actively provoking them and leading them on. In that case, rather than escalating the feud, ignore the user (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4554-Ignoring-Certain-Users&p=61083#post61083) - either by simply not responding or by using the ignore function (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4554-Ignoring-Certain-Users&p=61083#post61083) of the forum.
I can understand that ones temper may run hot if led on by someone - but it is better to act calm, ranther than becoming part of the problem.

We, the mods, have been working overtime, due to issues like the above mentioned - something we are not very fond of! Please respect us - by respecting each other.

David_JAFO
20-11-2012, 05:18 PM
hello,
Well said Jakob :wink:
T^
Regards
David

Roadkillphil
20-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Just to add, I've noticed an increase in swearing on the forum too. This used to be jumped on and altered straight away, but times are busy. Those that know me, know that yes I swear, but I Never type any swearing into my posts. This is because of the aforementioned tone of the forum that I have a respect for. This forum not only has younger members but is also open to public viewing. I would ask that you all stop swearing in your posts please. I understand that in real life profanities "pop" out unrestrained on occasion (more often than not with me) but when writing a post it's hardly spontaneous is it??

Sort it out ladies n gennelmen :)

Cheers

Phil

rich290185
20-11-2012, 05:41 PM
i have not posted for some time on here un-till this last week because of this! this site is the best bushcraft site i hope this stops to keep it this way! well done mods.

Chubbs
20-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Thankyou Jeep T^

Ben Casey
20-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi

Well said lads but the grown ups on here should know better anyway :) But if I may add the Forum here that I joined sometime back seems to be turning more into a Fleebay than it ever was :( I hope no one minds me saying it but at one time we used to have loads of tips and help each other out on here but it has all changed just recently and I keep having to check that EBAY hasn't gone bust.

Ben

paul standley
20-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I support Jeeps thread - As far as Bushcraft forums go, we have been known for being among the very best out there for content and tone and it would be a great shame if the few spoiled it for the many (the usual story).

IMO We should be able to regulate ourselves easily enough but if we can't then I'd support a crackdown by the mods.

Silverback
20-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Hear hear !

Ben Casey
20-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Me to Hear hear !

Adam Savage
20-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I was thinking the same thing recently. It seems a shame, as 90% (if not more) of the folk on here have a good level of respect for the forum.

The swearing is definitely an issue, and although "actual swear words" are pretty rare, the insinuated swear words are just as bad, By this I mean replacing letters with * or #, etc. The word is still pretty obvious when typed like that, so still falls into the bad zone for me.

I agree that things can get heated at times, but as Phil points out, it's a typed statement. Surely we can think of other words that will fit...

Like Jakob says though, I'm not aiming this statement at anyone in particular, just a general observation :)

Stay cool people, and have an enjoyable time T^

RoughRambler
20-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Hear Hear!!

Ashley Cawley
20-11-2012, 10:44 PM
We, the mods, have been working overtime, due to issues like the above mentioned - something we are not very fond of!Very true, I can tell you right now the wife and I are up late re-reading through dozens of threads due to a legal threat that has come in recently as a result of the recent behaviour & comments so please think before you post folks. The mods are doing a grand job, I couldn't do it without them.

RE:
i have not posted for some time on here un-till this last week because of this! this site is the best bushcraft site i hope this stops to keep it this way! well done mods.:Sorry: & ...

As far as Bushcraft forums go, we have been known for being among the very best out there for content and tone and it would be a great shame if the few spoiled it for the many (the usual story).

Rest assured I won't rest until the community is once again what it should be*; the friendliest, most welcoming, sharing community for Bushcraft knowledge & skills out there - What Bushcraft should be about and I think what folk who attended our recent meet would appreciate you get from us in person.

'The True Spirit of Bushcraft'

Ashley Cawley
20-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Something has to be done and I'm thinking we'll be taking a slightly different tact from now on to bring folk back in line, I'll discuss this further with the mods.

Silverback
20-11-2012, 11:08 PM
:Sorry:

nothing to be sorry about, its neither yours, nor the fault of the mods

jbrown14
21-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Not that I can say I know the ages of the folks on here, but I like to think of everyone posting on this site as being capable of adult behavior. I know we have some young people who frequent this site, and it's always great to see their interest in bushcraft and to see some of the more experienced crafters jump in and lend knowledge so freely.

I cringe when I see the foul, bawdy, and suggestive language that has been coming up more frequently lately, and I'll just say it's shameful that we would need Jakob, Martin, Ashley and I'll include Phil; to step up and correct the actions of what should be a group of self-governing adults.

Aren't we a little better than this?

Many is the time I've begun an email to some acquaintance, co-worker or even a friend with the intention of telling that person off and having my say, and nobody could tell me differently...then I take a moment, read it over before I hit "send" and think "would I send this to my mother? or my wife?" If telling someone off is so urgently important, do it in private, not like a baboon strutting about.

Many of us try not to hide behind our screen names either. I usually sign my posts with my name, Josh. It's really my name. You can address me by it.

Take the time, get to know some people here, if you're in a bad mood, have a cuppa and maybe come back later.

Keep up the good work, Mods. We on the other side of the pond appreciate it.

All the best indeed,

Josh Brown

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Well said Josh. Like you say, acting in an adult manner, doesn't mean using adult language.

paulthefish2009
21-11-2012, 07:00 AM
+1 from me too Josh,lets keep it bushy guys. Paul

AL...
21-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree Its been gettin over the top a bit .
This is by far the best Bushcraft site on the net and to be such it takes us the Lads and lassies that post on here to make it so.
Lets keep it the BEST.

Cheers
AL

Peaks
21-11-2012, 08:40 AM
This site is so much more respectful and tolerant than many others. In my experience members on here are genuine and helpful. Thats why I enjoy coming on here. I cant say the same for other forums that I visit.
Whilst we might not always agree with other members, or their opinions may challenge our own or experience or beliefs, we are a wide collection of individuals.
There has been a bit of trend recently where there has been a lowering of tone and respect. Without getting preachy or pious , theres no need for it -tolerance along with restraint is a hallmark of maturity.

As others have mentioned there is also a legal aspect to derogatory or defamatory remarks made in posts. Take a breath and have a pause before hitting the keyboard and the send button.......

Lets continue keep this forum the best and most supportive.

fish
21-11-2012, 09:03 AM
well if i am bringing down the whole place just say and ille bgggggr off.

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Fish, PM sent.

FishyFolk
21-11-2012, 09:52 AM
just wan't to chip in.

I try very hard to behave as a good boy while in here. But sometimes the North Norwegian culture I was raised in seeps trough. Our sense of humor and also language I think can be quite shocking. Indeed other Norwegians think us quite barbaric in oit language. What may be considered a declaration of deep affection up here in the north, would be deeply offensive in the south. etc.

But while trying to be as pollite as i can, I often feel that It becomes a little silly, and charge right in, like us northerners do. I hope by that I have not offended anyone. I will continue to make an effort, but can,t promise that the northern boy in me won't pop out now and then. When I step over the line, please pm me (does not have to be a modrator). As sometimes I am ignorant to the fact that I am stepping ove the line.

Chubbs
21-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Your back mate, nice one T^

Hope you are recovering well.

Neil

paulthefish2009
21-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Nice one Fishy, how you feeling mate? welcome back :jumping-joy: paul

OakAshandThorn
21-11-2012, 03:52 PM
It seems as if many online forums are becoming less and less friendly, and not just with swear words. This legal threat Ashley was talking about is definitely shocking, and in a community such as this, it is appalling.
We are supposed to be setting the example for other (younger or less experienced) bushcrafters. Don't spoil such a wonderful site with anger and tension.
As we say in the Atwood clan, "act your age, not your shoe size" ;).

moontanboy
21-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I probably pop on her once a week or every 2 weeks, unless there's a juicy NBC tweet to a new post. I haven't noticed anything malicious, have noticed a slight increase in sweariness on occasion but this is probably testament to the good work of the Mods taking comments down promptly.

I've learned loads of interesting skills and bits of knowledge from this site and long may it continue with the same ethos as why this place was created in the first place.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 05:00 PM
The best thing to remember is, if you see an inappropriate comment (this can be either swearing, personal attack, implication or accusation, illegal activity, etc), don't take it upon yourself to put them to rights, especially on the open forum. Send a private message to one of the moderators, who will look at the comment/s, gather any further details needed, and deal with it in the correct manner. The mods WILL look into it, and they WILL take any action needed. Even if (on the incredibly rare chance) you don't hear from them straight away, the wheels WILL be turning. Please remember how busy these guys are.

Aragorn
21-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Sounds good to me. Moderators are invaluable on forums and do a great job, its a pity though that they are needed.

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the kind comments one & all.

The best thing to remember is, if you see an inappropriate comment (this can be either swearing, personal attack, implication or accusation, illegal activity, etc), don't take it upon yourself to put them to rights, especially on the open forum...Spot on Adam, well almost, don't PM us but rather use the report tool (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?593-Reporting-Spam-to-Moderators&p=4767&viewfull=1#post4767), this way it notifies all moderators instantly.

Please read this: Operation "True Spirit" (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4573-Operation-quot-True-Spirit-quot&p=61507&viewfull=1#post61507)

AL...
21-11-2012, 07:19 PM
T^

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
21-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I have not been on so much recently, due to other commitments and actually getting outdoors a bit more often, but I have kept an interested eye on various threads.

I can not say I have noted an increase in 'colourful language' being posted, but if I am being perfectly honest, as I am not bothered by such language, it would have to be very colourful for it to even register; but I have noticed increasing numbers of what I think of as the Mock and Sneer brigade, do seem to have found there ways to this friendly little internet campefire and have taken great pleasure in winding up unsuspecting folks happily warming their hands.

And this has led the the forum having a more 'shouty' feel at times, which can be a bit off putting.

But this thread and a couple of others that have popped up in recent days, do seem to be addressing the issue, so fair play and fingers crossed a quick whack with the Ban Hammer will knock some sense into anyone lowering the tone going forward.

T^

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the kind comments one & all.
Spot on Adam, well almost, don't PM us but rather use the report tool (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?593-Reporting-Spam-to-Moderators&p=4767&viewfull=1#post4767), this way it notifies all moderators instantly.

Ah, sorry my friend. Wasn't aware of the functionality of said tool ;)

Please read this: Operation "True Spirit" (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4573-Operation-quot-True-Spirit-quot&p=61507&viewfull=1#post61507)

Repeated, so that it isn't lost on the last page :)