PDA

View Full Version : Jack Pike Platinum Bushcraft

IBrown
09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I said earlier that this was my first knife. Well today i went for a walk, spotted a nice straight piece of hazel and thought i would have a go at making my wife a walking stick. Picked a nice bit of wood to baton with and got out my new knife , hit it with the baton on the soft hazel 1" thick branch and the blade chipped. I am now in the process of returning it..

Bushcraft knife my A.., trade description act if you ask me..

End of review:D
Ian

Aaron Rushton
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
jack pyke knives are rather crap IMO. low quality steel and handls are'nt very nice either.

KERNOW KELT
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Time for that MORA...

greenpete
09-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Time for that MORA... Or to make your own! :)

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I said earlier that this was my first knife. Well today i went for a walk, spotted a nice straight piece of hazel and thought i would have a go at making my wife a walking stick. Picked a nice bit of wood to baton with and got out my new knife , hit it with the baton on the soft hazel 1" thick branch and the blade chipped. I am now in the process of returning it..

Bushcraft knife my A.., trade description act if you ask me..

End of review:D
Ian

Epic fail! My mora survived being used as a chizel while i was removing a concrete block from the bottom of a washing machine (dont ask.) Lost the tip of the blade though...ill have to file it back into shape, it ended up gathering dust once my puukko set arrived.

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Greenpete,
With ref to the "Make your own!",...... I am still having a problem making Coffee!!!
To be serious for a moment, There must be a huge sense of achievement,when you make your own knife, such a personal piece of kit.... excellent!

IBrown
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I will try to add pics later of the knife and twig i was cutting

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I will try to add pics later of the knife and twig i was cutting

Before you buy a replacement for the JACK PIKE... may I suggest you take a look at the HULTIFORS range of knives.
I bought mine from..www.on-sitetools.co.uk 01375 679944
Bought one for 10 gbp, inc vat and postage... To be honest I prefer it to my MORA.
Hope that helps
Dave

IBrown
10-01-2011, 03:39 PM
This is the knife and hazel stick

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
flippin heck that is pathetic. You would have been better karate chopping it.

CanadianMike
10-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi Greenpete,
With ref to the "Make your own!",...... I am still having a problem making Coffee!!!
To be serious for a moment, There must be a huge sense of achievement,when you make your own knife, such a personal piece of kit.... excellent!

It very much is, more so when you make a knife for someone and seeing their reactions to your work, is literally priceless!

This is the knife and hazel stick

Looks more like a nick to me, not exactly a chip. Maybe there was a piece of grit or rock in the wood? Can't see a tree growing with a rock inside it, but that blade definitely hit something hard.

Ashley Cawley
10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
It might have been done prior to the hazel? even before you got it? It's a smaller nick that I first thought when you said, but still obviously bad, I wouldn't recommend any of Jack Pyke's blades.

IBrown
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
The Hazel stick was the first and only time i used it. I have contacted the company my daughter bought it from. I will let you know the service i recieve and the result. You never know how good a company is until you need to comtact customer service.

luresalive
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Chips like that can happen often for lots of reasons, one being if the blade has been heat treated to a high RC, even some superior knife steels like D2 are very prone to chipping. It can be the result of large carbides being formed during the HT process and normally a long the edge of the blade where they are more exposed and which is prone to "burning" during tempering..it is not normally a problem and sharpening it back a bit or putting on a micro bevel normally solves the problem.

Fletching
11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Chips like that can happen often for lots of reasons, one being if the blade has been heat treated to a high RC, even some superior knife steels like D2 are very prone to chipping. It can be the result of large carbides being formed during the HT process and normally a long the edge of the blade where they are more exposed and which is prone to "burning" during tempering..it is not normally a problem and sharpening it back a bit or putting on a micro bevel normally solves the problem.

Makes it a QC issue in that case, which should've been picked up. Not good for the reputation methinks.

Steve

luresalive
11-01-2011, 05:17 PM
If it's a quality control issue with every knife that has ever chipped you may go back to using flint!!!:) My moras are kept at a very fine edge and I have had them chip, as I have had with other knives from pro makers, as I said it's not a major problem, resharpen and try again, if it keeps continually chipping every time you use it, then you have a problem!

IBrown
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I went to Bushcraft Store in Enfield today and bought a Mora 840MG for £8.95 + some other bits . I contacted the company and they have agreed to give me a replacement so i chose the Casstrom Knife making kit.

KERNOW KELT
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I went to Bushcraft Store in Enfield today and bought a Mora 840MG for £8.95 + some other bits . I contacted the company and they have agreed to give me a replacement so i chose the Casstrom Knife making kit.

Glad it all went well for you.... good luck with the new kit!!! :D

IBrown
12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
THanks KK,
Very helpful staff in the Bushcraft Store, 30 miles away but worth the drive even with the M25 roadworks at Watford. It looked a nice kit and seemed a good price £25.00.