PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman wave

Paul Webster
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Wasn't quite sure the best place to post this...in the January sale at millets I just picked up a leatherman wave for £49.99, it also included a free inova microlight. Seemed like a bargain to me.

comanighttrain
09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
what are leathermans like to use? only had a shot of my dads for about 5 mins. just seemed like an oversize swiss army knife

Paul Webster
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
There's a whole range from the larger multitools like the wave to keychain models like the squirt. Solid construction, 25 year guarantee. I carry one all the time, very handy

CanadianMike
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I've had my Wave on my belt religiously for about 6 or 7 years now, it's an amazing tool that gets all kinds of use at work (I install equipment and wiring into aircraft), at home and out and about. It literally gets used a few times miimum per day. I even often use it as a small hammer. My only two complaints about mine (which is the first version of it) is the Phillips screwdriver is more a 1.5 size rather than what it should be, a #2 Phillips. And the blade steel could be better, but I'm picky, so.....

I'd recommend the Wave to anyone, like it way better than the Gerber I had for a couple years before. Some of the new versions of the Leatherman tools are more fancy than rugged, is why I'd say first and formost, get the Wave due to the fact you can bash away on things with it and it barely even marks.

mahikan
09-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I always get my leatherman wave out when I am setting a lot of snares for Snowshoe Hares or preparing other traps.
A great tool that has been my saving grace when repairing mechanical equipment or Dog Sleds in extremely hostile conditions. I was impressed with its performance in temperatures as low as -45C, where quite often cheaper metal products will just snap in half.
I agree with Canadian Mike that the Wave is better than the Gerber.

comanighttrain
09-01-2011, 03:54 PM
hmmm...may have to invest in one! The plyers got my attention. You always need plyers when you dont have em.

Notredame11211
09-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I have had a wave for about a year now, and it's a great tool anywhere. I like it better than my swiss army knife because it has pilers on it, they are very useful.

garethw
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Yep big Leatherman fan.. had one for over 15 years... I have a Blast at the moment that is always on my belt at home in the French countryside.. except when I work in the city. Can't recommend them highly enough, I'm lost without mine.
cheers
Gareth

Scott
09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I like the leatherman i have the charge TI, great bit of kit i aways have it on belt when im camping.

JonnyP
09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
My favourite tool..
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/wave003.jpg

Martin
09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh no!!! Do I need one of these now??? :ashamed:

Martin

KERNOW KELT
09-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Go on Martin... see how it shines !!!

Paul Webster
09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Oh no!!! Do I need one of these now??? :ashamed:

Martin

They are very shiny...check out the millets sale if you do, seemed much cheaper than any online price I could find.

Paul Webster
09-01-2011, 07:56 PM
My favourite tool..
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/wave003.jpg

That looks awesome jonny. I love tools that look well used but also well cared for

Martin
09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
It is certainly very shiny. I like shiny. Do I have a problem? :ashamed:

Martin

scorpian
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
gerber man myself, only cos the legend has replaceable wire cutter blades, but waves are excellent kit!

Steve

garethw
09-01-2011, 08:55 PM
They do them matt black too.
cheers
Gareth

KERNOW KELT
09-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Shiny kit syndrome...Alas there is no cure... it can only be relieved by having a large lotto win or a huge overdraft !!!
Good luck with it my frend, there are many sufferers.

comanighttrain
09-01-2011, 09:00 PM
ok im convinced....now how to buy this without the missus finding out.....

JEEP
09-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I had a Leatherman Wave once, before it became "problematic" to carry one here in Denmark.

Actually I have had two. The first I found when I was around 16, frozen solid in the ground, in the driveway, outside a bed and breakfast on my newspaper route (where a lot of German fishers used to stay during the summer, it was probably dropped by one of them). The tool was lodged solid in the frozen ground and had been run over by cars several times. The owner of the b&b helped me thaw the ground around the tool, with boiling water, making it possible to pick it up.
Knowing that is was an expensive tool, the owner of the b&b promised me that if he hadn't found the owner of it by the end of the winter, I could have the tool.
One day some time later he came out, while I was doing my paper round, and handed me the tool, he had not been able to find the owner.
At home I cleaned and oiled the tool - everything, aside from the scissors worked perfectly. That is one tough tool!
Later I bought a new one for myself (I needed the scissors at the time) and gave the old one to my father. We both had to get rid of them though, when the version with a hole in the blades was deemed illegal. That still pisses me off to this day.

For the last few years I have been carrying a Leatherman Juice Xe6. It has a few more functions than the Wave and it is legal for daily carry in Denmark - but, compared to the Wave it is a puny little thing. Lately I have, for most occasions, been starting to carry a Victorinox Spartan instead.

KERNOW KELT
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi Jakob,
It sounds as if you are a ''Shiny kit Syndrome" sufferer as well !?
All the best for 2011.
David
Cornwall / Kernow

Fletching
09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I've been trying out the Skeletool CX.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5340217521_427cd761e6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57496601@N08/5340217521/)

Not taken it out on a trip yet but it'd been good for making firesticks, shaving maya wood, cutting really thick wire and it holds its edge well.

Small and light, but not cheap.

Steve

JEEP
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Jakob,
It sounds as if you are a ''Shiny kit Syndrome" sufferer as well !?
All the best for 2011.
David
Cornwall / Kernow

Guilty as charged :)

The best for you aswell.

comanighttrain
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I had a Leatherman Wave once, before it became "problematic" to carry one here in Denmark.

Actually I have had two. The first I found when I was around 16, frozen solid in the ground, in the driveway, outside a bed and breakfast on my newspaper route (where a lot of German fishers used to stay during the summer, it was probably dropped by one of them). The tool was lodged solid in the frozen ground and had been run over by cars several times. The owner of the b&b helped me thaw the ground around the tool, with boiling water, making it possible to pick it up.
Knowing that is was an expensive tool, the owner of the b&b promised me that if he hadn't found the owner of it by the end of the winter, I could have the tool.
One day some time later he came out, while I was doing my paper round, and handed me the tool, he had not been able to find the owner.
At home I cleaned and oiled the tool - everything, aside from the scissors worked perfectly. That is one tough tool!
Later I bought a new one for myself (I needed the scissors at the time) and gave the old one to my father. We both had to get rid of them though, when the version with a hole in the blades was deemed illegal. That still pisses me off to this day.

For the last few years I have been carrying a Leatherman Juice Xe6. It has a few more functions than the Wave and it is legal for daily carry in Denmark - but, compared to the Wave it is a puny little thing. Lately I have, for most occasions, been starting to carry a Victorinox Spartan instead.

why did they make those blades illegal?

JEEP
10-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Because they are one-hand assisted opening. Any folding knife that opens one-handedly is illegal in Denmark, no matter the purpose.
Actually, the new special Danish model Wave, without holes in the blades, are illegal in some districts, because it is still possible to open the blades one-handed.
The classic Gerber Gator and Gator Mate, one of the most widely sold knives here in Denmark, have just been deemed illegal, for the very same reason.
Being in possession of a one-hand assisted opening knife, in Denmark, is punished with a fine of D.Kr. 5.000 and "possession of illegal weapon" added to your your criminal record - and the very likely posability of seven days imprisonment.

garethw
10-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Because they are one-hand assisted opening. Any folding knife that opens one-handedly is illegal in Denmark, no matter the purpose.
Actually, the new special Danish model Wave, without holes in the blades, are illegal in some districts, because it is still possible to open the blades one-handed.
Crikey.. I've just tried to open my Leatherman Blast with one hand and it is extremely awkward to do....It must have taken the best part of 30 seconds.. I don't doubt the law in Denmark, but this reason seems absurd.
I can see though that in the UK it is illegal to carry as the blade locks thus effectively making it a fixed if some what small, blade.
These tools are just soooo useful in everyday life in the country that I do carry one or keep one in my car 90% of the time.
The thing is I don't think any of these laws will stop any idiots who want to carry any sharp implement and make it a weapon...
cheers
Gareth

Paul Webster
10-01-2011, 08:25 AM
There was talk recently here in the UK about relaxing the knife laws because it's such a strain on the judicial system.

Fletching
10-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I believe that they were re-thinking the automatic imprisonment for carrying a knife >3" .

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
oh man thats a bit lame...

We have similar laws here but with exception of reasonable cause

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I also read the Government is going to relax the automatic punishment for carrying knives etc, allowing for a commonsense approach.. After all once again the majority are suffering for the idiot minority!!
I will try to find the article.

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 10:58 AM
want to drop it in the knife law thread? save us going OT in here

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
You have started something there... just tried opening my LEATHERMAN SUPERTOOL one handed, what a laugh that was!
8]

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
If / when I locate it, I will do just that..
I also have an ex Ju-Jitsu student who is a Police sgt, I wiil have a word to see if anything has found its way down to the front line.