PDA

View Full Version : Exped DownMat 7" or 9" - Anyone tried or own one, opinions please

Tigger004
30-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I have been looking for a base, would like it to be universal tent / hammock and light-ish,

Been looking at the Exped DownMat 7" - Anyone tried or own one, opinions please, it's just an expensive airbed but gets a few good/great reviews, I don't use an underquilt

Use a roll mat and reflective sheet at present, you guys always have constructive advice and criticism

claverhouse
01-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I have an Exped Downmat 9 LW - it is very warm and comfortable and packs up smaller and lighter than my last self inflating mat. They are eye wateringly expensive ( managed to get mine for £128 from alloutdoors ) but a good nights sleep is priceless!

ADz
01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Why not go for a Thermarest NeoAir, they pack down super small, very light and comfortable. I've tried a few self-inflating mats and they take up far too much space in pack for my liking.

Tigger004
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Why not go for a Thermarest NeoAir, they pack down super small, very light and comfortable. I've tried a few self-inflating mats and they take up far too much space in pack for my liking.
Thanks for the replyADz,
What do you use now? I have looked at the neo-air, they are tiny packed but have a flimsey feelalso they russle when they move. The All season neo-air is the one I would have gone for but it's about £140 phew!

claverhouse
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I've tried a few self-inflating mats and they take up far too much space in pack for my liking.

One of the reasons I went for the Exped - it's not a self inflating, but has an inbuilt pump.

jacko1066
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I have the synmat 7, I'm not sure which size it is but I no it's the 1 between the shortest and lightest.

It's good down to about -20 apparently, all I no is that its light, packs down small, weighs 600grams and gives me an amazing nights sleep!!
If you get the schnozle too then it makes pumping up a breeze.

Th plus side for the synmat over the down mat is the its got a synthetic fill so if it gets wet then you can dry it out no problem, as the down mat has a down fill then that can cause problems if its wet.

Hope this helps
Steve

claverhouse
01-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Exped rates the Synmat 7 to -17c ,the Downmat 7 to -24c and the Downmat 9 to -38c

jacko1066
02-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Exped rates the Synmat 7 to -17c ,the Downmat 7 to -24c and the Downmat 9 to -38c

Wow!!!
That's great info, thanks for clearing that up!!

-38 is amazing!!
I guess a question the op needs to ask is if he is going to be visiting the arctic with his sleep mat?
If so then its gonna worth the extra investing in a down mat, if not then the synmat should cope with everything this country throws at us. And maybe if the temperatures are due to go below minus 17 a cheap closed cell foam mat should precise the extra insulation but for very little money or weight.

I guess at the end of the day it's down to personnel choice and how deep your pocket is lol

jacko1066
02-12-2012, 08:27 AM
This may help mate -

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/sleeping-gear/mats-airbeds/exped/exped-synmat-pump-camping-mat-terracotta-.htm

claverhouse
02-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Temps wise , my Downmat is overkill - but I got it more for the facts that at 6'5'' I needed the bigger mat size and other than my tent groundsheet I will never need another insulating layer. I did seriously consider the Synmat but they did'nt have it in stock when I bought and I was'nt too keen on the orangey colour.