PDA

View Full Version : A good day sack?

RobD
04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm looking to get a good day sack to start my rambles into the woods after the Jolly Holidays and wondered what people felt was a good buy.

Looking for something not too expensive though. Ideally less than £70. Any ideas folks?

TheOutdoorist
05-12-2012, 12:36 AM
For day trips i normally use the pathfinder haversack or an old school bag.

Depends on what you take really.. Sometimes i take a kiife and my pathfinder cook kit and i will carry it in a 10x4 maxpedition pouch and other times i carry a 35L berghaus munro pack... It all falls down to what you take but for £50 you can get the munro and it will last you a long time and holds everything i take on an overnight trip :)

Humakt
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
You're going to get a different recommendation with each answer, which will make deciding even more difficult.

Here's what I use.
If it looks like it's going to be a wet day (and, therefore, I may need to bring a tarp/poncho), or if I have plans and need to bring a few extra bits with me, then I use a Snugpak Sleeka Forces 35. I can't praise this bag highly enough.

If it looks like it's not going to rain, or if all I'm carrying is a bottle of water, a sarnie, and a pair binoculars then I take a simple shoulder bag. Specifically I have one of these:
http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/GrabBpistol350.jpg
The map case inside the cover is a great idea. But any of those MaxP versipacks would do, or a simple canvas knapsack.

What you want depends on your needs. But these are the two bags that I get the most use out of, especially the Snugpak.

biker-bri
05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Any 30 ltr rucksack will do for a days ramble in the woods, try flebay and save some of your cash or gooutdoors they do a good range if you wish to
try before you buy.
Cheers Bri

dannyreid1978
05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I've got one of these fellas its great no complaints and really good price plus plenty of reviews on the net

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=990

jonni_uk
07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I like to take the medium Alice pack
http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/12010214/genuine-usa-gi-woodland-camouflage?gps=1

suggy
07-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I have not got one personally but have had my eye on a Karrimor hydro 30

http://www.karrimorsf.com/patrol-products/item/5-hydro-30.html

Silverback
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
One that fits.....is comfortable and suits your purpose. I use an issue NI pack for bushy stuff but a berghaus extrem pro 42 L for almost everything else

Martin
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I really like a shoulder bag, compared with a rucksack. The shoulder bag lets me rummage around and extract anything I want without having to stop and take it off every time. I have a Fjallraven Vintage Shoulder Bag (http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equipment/backpacks-and-bags/vintage-shoulder-bag) in light khaki colour and I really like it.

Martin

Shewie
07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I have not got one personally but have had my eye on a Karrimor hydro 30

http://www.karrimorsf.com/patrol-products/item/5-hydro-30.html

Another vote for the Hydro, been using mine for a few years and it's been great. Takes my 1pt Kelly kettle, bag of split wood and fire lighting kit, 1L Nalgene of water, cup and coffee sachets, binos, camera, book for ID sometimes, waterproof, munchies, knife and Laplander and small FAK.

Silverback
07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I really like a shoulder bag

Ive taken to combining the two for overnighters so I have a issue NI Pack and an issue grab bag - i appreciate where youre coming from with the shoulder bag great for instant access to bits and bobs

biker-bri
07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
What about a comfy day sack combined with a nice leather belt bag for all those bits n bobs I'm sure I could find someone to make you one :happy-clapping:
:Sorry: couldn't resist a bit of self advertising :ashamed:
Cheers Bri

OakAshandThorn
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I have an LL Bean Continental rucksack which I use for nearly all of my outings - http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54123?feat=1098-GN2&page=classic-continental-rucksack
It is quite comfortable (the straps, back panel, and hip strap have thick padding) and has a capacity of 2000 cubic inches (5080 cubic cm) - it holds nearly all of my bushcrafting gear including my Gränsfors Small Forest Axe. Fantastic bit of kit IMO. :)
LL Bean does ship to the UK ;).

beermaker
07-01-2013, 07:47 PM
for day to day stuff I use a 40 litre Vango rucksack that I had as a school bag back in the day - it's had regular use since 1994 and although it leaks and is a bit shabby now it's still functional and does everything I need for a days walk. For bigger trips I have an army surplus bergen - again old and shabby but functional and comfy! Would like new bags really but I'd rather spend the pennies on other toys!

VEV
24-02-2013, 08:23 PM
i have a 5:11 rush 12. Which I got secondhand which I use as a day sack. I can fit my large knife, cooking set, food/snacks, binos, and loads of bits first aid kit, torch, tinder, fire steel etc. Plus lightweight waterproofs, gloves and hat. it is a military pack with molle strapping. I love this pack its extremely comfortable and very robust. The best thing is it has brilliant organised layout so you know where everything is as I hate endless rummaging!. Can add extra pouches too if needs be. as a woman it fits me perfectly. Think they are around £ 70 pounds new so pretty pricey but will last forever I reckon. Expodition do the falcon 2 which maybe worth checking out too, its slightly bigger.

Matt
24-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I've been looking in to daybags over the last couple of weeks, I'd narrowed it down to either the Munro or the SF Delta 25, the latter came in favourite as it had zip opening as opposed to a lid; and on a daybag , which I'm in and out of all the time, I'd prefer.

I popped into uncle Ray's and stumbled across the Rush 12..............OMBFJ, zip and pocket heaven. Got it yesterday, love it :cool:

It also scores highly with me due to the fact it has no waist belt, which is a pet hate of mine on an everyday bag.

VEV
24-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Ditto re waist belt its a complete waist of timefor daypack sizes and if the pack is like the rush 12 it sits perfectly on the back. Glad theres another pockets zips fan here!

FishyFolk
24-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I second the thing for the shoulder bag. I actually carry two. One with all the gizmos in it, and one for water and brew.

The main bag I got off ebay. And has served me well for one season without complaint. It's in most of my vids, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVnrPBdRMI

But it will be too small if bad weather hits. So depending on where I go I may compliment it with a normal backpack. But this is what I bring for 99% of my trips.

Sar-ian
24-02-2013, 11:29 PM
I use the two side pouches of a 100ltr bergen, and a yoke, two birds-one stone...cheers Ian..

Al21
25-02-2013, 09:55 AM
For day to day wanders I find the Finnish respirator bag near perfect. I think it was a fiver from Ebay, though you can get them all over.

The only modification I've made is to add a clip buckle to close the lid. When the kids were still in nappies the amount of stuff made the lid bulge and overwhelm the snap poppers, but that's more my fault for over-filling the bag than a design fault.

Al

Kernowek Scouser
25-02-2013, 03:29 PM
This is a question I have asked myself and the advice I was given was, first have a good think about what kit you would like to carry with you on a standard ramble, add to the equation any gear you might also carry on a more occasional basis, then look for a pack/bag that will accommodate the lot with a bit of room to spare for anything you might pick up along the way.

Another thing to think on is, are you really just after a day pack, or would a pack that could stretch to being light over night pack be more what you are after?

To be honest, I've never had a single, all occasions day pack and after asking the question myself, I came to the conclusion that a couple of packs for different eventualities would suit my needs better. But what works for me, may well not be your cup of tea.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but perhaps something to think about before you buy a pack which might not be what you are really after.

Good luck.

Colin

Dan XF
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
I like the Gourdon bags from Alpkit.com. They are 100% waterproof, have a sleeve inside for hydration bladders, are comfortable and don't cost the Earth. Having bought the larger model in black I liked it so much I've bought the smaller 20 litre model for my response bag for medic work. I can get intubation and cannulaton kit in it, Advanced airway kit, a light weight hi vis jacket, blood gloves and extrication gloves, a head torch, shears, survival bag and a load of dressings. It's fluro yellow and never leaver my side when I'm on a job. Give their website a look, great kit at good prices.