PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft Shelter

TheOutdoorist
05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I am thinking about making a 'bushcraft shelter' for the winter.. my only problem is in my local area I go to places and do not see many people... but i know there are some idiots who have no respect for anything or anyone.

What I have in mind is building a frame for a shelter and leave it standing so when i get to camp all i have to do is throw the tarp over the frame.. do you think this would be a good idea or would i be better off setting up in simple A frame then lighting a fire inside?

Why i am thinking of a frame is i would also like to make a fireplace out of rocks to reflect heat into the shelter and then block off one opening so there is one side open where the fire will be situated?

Any help is much appreciated.. I have built shelters before then taken them down but i would like this as a winter project.. it will be maintained and if anyone mistreats the area it will be removed promptly.

Thank you, Ben.

moontanboy
05-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Its a personal preference but I go for a leave no trace approach, take memories leave only footprints, a pile of dead branches may look useful but that could be home to small mammals and such this time of year. What fun would the wilderness be without the creatures within?
Make sure the rocks aren't wet and likely to split sending shards across your camp, most books I've read advise you to make a small wall out of branches/logs to reflect heat rather than rocks.

happybonzo
06-12-2012, 05:36 AM
It may be worth trying to find the owner of the woodlands and asking for their permission.
Some owners get quite stressed when they find these "shelters"

Silverback
06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Make sure the rocks aren't wet and likely to split sending shards across your camp, most books I've read advise you to make a small wall out of branches/logs to reflect heat rather than rocks.

Apparently is rocks from rivers that are particularly prone to that. I'm with you on this MB, I prefer the LNT approach and any shelter/fire reflectors, wind breaks etc building i do is taken down.

Things like these dont win us any support - seen on recent trips out in my area

David_JAFO
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
hello Ben,
I understand what your trying to achieve Ben, sounds a good idea 'but' I agree with
happybonzo & moontanboy 'leave no trace approach, take memories leave only footprints..'
Maybe if you speak to the land owner they may allow you to construct your shelter/frame
then a suggestion, collapse it & request if such can be stored somewhere maybe
the land owners out buildings or other suitable location for you to collect & construct next visit?
Thinking along the lines of Nomadic travel. In doing so could well be something to
think about as part of your project? Sounds good anyway & I wish you well with your endeavours.
Keep NBC posted how you get on :wink:
Regards
David

TheOutdoorist
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello guys and thank you for the comments.

I did take into account the frame but was only thinking two tripods (or even just two trees) with a support lashed on.

However I think I will find all the pieces i need, cut them to size and just assemble/disassemble when needed.

Main reason for this project is I have been lightweight backpacking for a while and have not been into the woods with a billy over the fire etc so i though a few nights out will do me good! Always great coming home stinking of wood smoke!

Cheers, Ben :)

Silverback
06-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Always great coming home stinking of wood smoke!

I wish my missus thought the same ;)

OakAshandThorn
06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm definitely with happybonzo on this. Being on good terms with the landowner is a must for a long-term shelter. If he/she gives you the OK, do it - otherwise, don't, as you could wind up in a nasty legal situation.

In my opinion, it is foolish to make a shelter in the woods and then walk away without disassembling it and leaving no trace. Such abandoned camps become an eyesore to any passers-by and do not show respect to the environment (it also gives us bushcrafters a bad name). However, a permanent shelter that will be frequently used is fine...as long as you have permission ;).

TheOutdoorist
06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
The land I use has no owner as far as i can see, falls under the old railway and upon contacting them they informed me if may of been sold onto the government but they also deny owning the land.. :confused2:

Adam Savage
06-12-2012, 08:53 PM
The land I use has no owner as far as i can see, falls under the old railway and upon contacting them they informed me if may of been sold onto the government but they also deny owning the land.. :confused2:

Fence it off and it's yours mate :)

I see why you'd want a "quick pitch" shelter. If you found the correctly spaced trees, then a few lengths of safely stashed timbers sounds like the best idea. Doesn't draw attention from the yobs and vandals, but still saves time in knocking up your home.

alvino78
06-12-2012, 11:20 PM
i used to use a fallen tree as my shelter and fixed tarp to that ,the larger branches work soundly with the trunk as a back .place reflecting branches on other side of fire and BINGO!!!!

moontanboy
11-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Yeah I often see old shelters in my local spots. It's not as anger inducing as beercans or bottles (Swinley forest fire anyone?) but for me it looks untidy and unnatural as well as giving a bad name to crafters. I'll stick to hammocks and tarps till I'm too old and creaky to get in and out without breaking a hip.

Maybe If there was a few hazel stools close together you could wrap a tarp/canvas round them and fly a tarp for a roof as an improvised yurt ? If you used heavy canvas maybe you could store it in a dry bag in a pit?
Then you'd have the challenge of trying to retrieve your canvas, the satisfaction of finding it and rigging, when de-rigged all you leave is some disturbed earth and maybe a marker of some kind????

moontanboy
11-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Fence it off and it's yours mate :)

I think the legal precedents used to be fence it off for 12 years and then its yours, at least have heard tales of one piece of land that was eventually sold for a huge amount which now has a posh garden centre on it. However I think this tale involved living on the land for 12 years as well as fencing off, something to do with some nomadic types (if you get my rift without been too un-pc)

OakAshandThorn
11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah I often see old shelters in my local spots. It's not as anger inducing as beercans or bottles (Swinley forest fire anyone?) but for me it looks untidy and unnatural as well as giving a bad name to crafters. I'll stick to hammocks and tarps till I'm too old and creaky to get in and out without breaking a hip.
Yeah, the litter really gets on my nerves. I see it all the time in Tarrywile, the local park across the street(here's the main trail map - http://tarrywile.com/files/Tarrywile_trail-map.pdf). The city has done NOTHING to stop it, and the park's volunteers, with the exception of a good fellow I know, don't give a you-know-what. It is absolutely disgusting and sad that people who come there don't care about the rubbish they leave behind. I have seen everything from dog poop-filled bags tied up and thrown in the bushes to water bottles scattered everywhere. I've said time and again to the volunteers and management that they need to hire rangers (at least 10 on duty 12 hours a day) to enforce the park's rules, but they won't for whatever foolish reason. Putnman Park in Redding, CT (about 8 miles away from me) is a state park, and even though it's much smaller than Tarrywile, the rangers there do an excellent job enforcing the rules...and I've seen almost no litter on and off the trail.