PDA

View Full Version : Garden Bushcraft

TheOutdoorist
07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Anyone else part take in 'garden bushcraft'..?

http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/garden-bushcraft.html

Cheers, Ben :)

Chubbs
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I thought I was the only person who lit a fire and made a brew in the garden. When making different stoves, burners and suchlike, I am straight outside, grab the purple metal table and burn away. I know when the enthusiasm should be curtailed. Its when the kids get bored after five minutes and tell their mum that dad is 'messing about with his camping rubbish again', and say that 'he's being like a kid again'.

paulthefish2009
08-12-2012, 06:27 AM
I thought I was the only person who lit a fire and made a brew in the garden. When making different stoves, burners and suchlike, I am straight outside, grab the purple metal table and burn away. I know when the enthusiasm should be curtailed. Its when the kids get bored after five minutes and tell their mum that dad is 'messing about with his camping rubbish again', and say that 'he's being like a kid again'.

Exactly what I do,think you will find most people play around out back. Paul

steve1975
08-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Sort of thing im doing at the moment. Weather to bad to drag the kids off to the woods. So doing a few bits in the garden ready for next year. Planning on the kids first camp out. In the garden of course.

BJ
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I often use the garden to show the little uns how to use a flint etc. It encourages them to want to get out and try it "for real"
cheersBJ

David_JAFO
08-12-2012, 02:39 PM
hello,
Best place to start 'Tried & Tested' before you venture out
into T.G.O & find it doesn't work :wink:
Regards
David

blindgeekuk
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Regularly, gives me a few minutes break from the kids trying to kill each other, or if its bed time for the kids, a few minutes break from them talking in their sleep.

I love getting out into the garden with a new piece of kit. It pisses the neighbours off, especially if the stove is smoky and they have the washing out. I'll be trying my new tarp out in the garden next weekend.

AdrianRose
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Don't worry buddy. We all do it.

Personally I've made my own body weight in char cloth in the back yard BBQ. Lol

There's actually a guy on YouTube who has had a bushcraft channel for over a year showing his "expertise and prowess" as a bushcrafter - all of which has been done in his house or back garden!
Apart that is from a single 3 night stint in the woods in the past 18 months.

Ade

Bob W
09-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I do a lot of fishing and in my case that means overnight in a bivvy, I'm not one of the much maligned instant Carp anglers, but an all rounder that loves to be out on the bank-side. If I can't get on the lake or river I sometimes put the tent or bivvy up in the garden, much to the bemusement of our lass, but to the delight of whichever grandkid is stopping over and have a night on the lawn.

Silverback
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I love getting out into the garden with a new piece of kit. It pisses the neighbours off,

Dont think my neighbours are too keen on my back garden exploits either, especially when we turned it all over to growing veg 3 years ago...that and when my lad and I are backyard plinking with his airgun

Tigger004
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I agree with David_JAFO, best tested where it doesn't matter if it fails, also practise makes perfect as they say.

And it is nice to just get outdoors when time is short, appeals to the kid in me

steve1975
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Used to pink with the airgun many years back. Got rod of the guns before the kids were born. I also miss the night sessions i used to do after carp. They also stopped once I became a dad. oh the good old days.

AL...
09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
It gets even better when ye start taking the youn'un's along with ye Steve :)
I know it did for me and my 3 still talk about the camping fishing and hunting trips we used to go on.
Cheers
AL

steve1975
10-12-2012, 07:34 AM
I do take the kids fishing but not all night sessions i used to do. Don't think Im as keen theses days. But i really enjoy our short sessions together on the local park/club lake catching perch. Would love to get another air rifle and teach the kids to shoot. But the other half is against the idea.

happybonzo
11-12-2012, 06:10 AM
I frequently run our Kelly just to see what I can get it burn

Chubbs
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Would love to get another air rifle and teach the kids to shoot. But the other half is against the idea.

Same here Steve.

My boy and I walked into a local surplus store the other day and he spotted the air rifles. He has wanted one for a while but I told him he had as much chance of changing his mums mind than kissing the Pope's backside.

I will start grinding her down after Christmas until she either agrees or wallops me !!.

Cheers Neil

steve1975
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Had a really nice BSA supersport carbine. Fitted with 4x40 scope sling and screw in silencer. Really nice rifle but sold it when we were expecting our firstborn. Wouldn't like to even suggest getting another.Although there is a very old meteor in the garage in need of restoration.

Silverback
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
When I first met the missus she made me get rid of my shooting kit, about 2 years ago she relented and has even took a few shots herself

Bob W
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I've got a cheap Westlake .22 (Chinese made I think), surprisingly good for the money. It's very rarely shot though! I spend more time playing with THIS (http://www.ronniesunshines.com/archery-crossbows-2/catapults/catapults/barnett-diablo-slingshot-catapult.html)

I did have an old BSA Bucanneer, but I loaned it out and never got it back.

mr.punch
11-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Yeah I love bushcrafting in the garden and the shed, great place to be other than I cannot escape the calls from the wife. So to get proper quiet it's over the fields an woods for me.

blindgeekuk
13-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok, so its not the best pegged out tarp, but in my defence, I was doing it in the dark with only a headtorch, there was freezing fog, its my first tarp, the ground was frozen, and I can't see ;)
Still, I got to have a brew out in the garden while sitting under my new tarp.

Silverback
13-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Ok, so its not the best pegged out tarp, but in my defence, I was doing it in the dark with only a headtorch, there was freezing fog, its my first tarp, the ground was frozen, and I can't see ;)

No but it will be next time......not bad thing to practice in the garden and get it wrong there rather than it all going pear shaped at the worst possible time

TheOutdoorist
14-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Practice makes perfect! That tarp looks like it would of been perfect if your poles were further apart and then staked out again tightly. Well done for getting out there and giving it a go :)

blindgeekuk
14-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Trouble is, the tarp is bigger than the free space on my grass. :(

Poles were definitely not far enough apart and their guys weren't tight (one was looped round a kids slide, the other the patio door handle). Theres also a guy rope on the decathlon in the middle of the ridgeline which I wasn't expecting, so some of the sag is that. I need to check in daylight if theres any guy points on the middle of the edges, if not, the Clingons I got would help there.

I'll admit that it was a bit daunting trying to do my first tarp in the dark, but once I figured out to treat it like an old style ridge tent, it went up a breeze. I can certainly see the appeal in the openness in good weather.

freedom
14-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Nothing wrong with garden bushcraft, I am off next week I am going to home my skills of flint, steel and charcloth fire lighting.

AdrianRose
14-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Nothing wrong with garden bushcraft, I am off next week I am going to home my skills of flint, steel and charcloth fire lighting.

I think that you are selling yourself short there fella. I've seen you use flint and steel first hand, and you have nothing to improve upon at all.

Ade.

Silverback
15-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Had a go today with flint and steel, conditions not great bit windy with light drizzle, got my tinder bundle burning well so I'm happy with that, made some pillar candles from wax stubs and waste wax using empty soup tins as moulds, and made a batch of char cloth from old denim, back garden bushcraft... nothing wrong with it great for practice :)

steve1975
15-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Been making a couple of meths stoves this week. One beer can one and one from an aluminium bottle..Will be testing tomorrow in the garden.

TheOutdoorist
20-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Really glad it is not just me practicing out back!

Rather kit fail there than anywhere else but sometimes I just go out there to light the stove and make a brew.. :campfire:

paulthefish2009
20-12-2012, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=

Rather kit fail there than anywhere else but sometimes I just go out there to light the stove and make a brew.. :campfire:[/QUOTE]

So do I !! Paul

blindgeekuk
01-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, with the kids packed off to the in-laws, a clear sky for a change, and a new mora clipper to try out, I went out in the garden.

First up, feathering sticks with the mora, so much easier than with the penknife or ancient folding knife I had been doing. Its a comfortable blade to hold and use, and just feel right. I'll admit that I was expecting it to feel flimsy and cheap given how much these cost.

Secondly, with some wood feathered, I decided to light my mKettle to get the wter for a brew. Normally, I use my firesteel onto some cotton wool in the mKettle's base and then surrond that with wood until its burning enough to use the feathered sticks, but I decided to try putting a smaller piece of cotton wool into a small bundle of hay (left over from my guinea pigs who died this weekend) and position that right next to the firesteel, like I've seen some of the guys on here do on the videos. Yup, that works wonderfully, so thats 2 skills I've used today that I learnt from NBC.

Thirdly, in all the talk of billy can meals and camp food, someone mentioned corned beef hash, and that just had to be made. And I thought chopping the potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and corned beef would be a good test of the mora's multi-functionality, and i'd get a chance to see if I can actually cook on esbit.

Given my eyesight problems, I cut my fingers fairly regularly when cooking, so have a fairly well stocked first aid kit in the kitchen. Its a good job as well, because the mora really doesn't take any prisoners and will go through potato and finger with equal ease... Of the 2 cuts I managed, one I didn't feel but bleed like there was no tomorrow, and one removed a small chunk of skin and flesh around a knuckle. Reason learnt... Never use the mora when I'm on my own, its just too sharp.

As far as the cooking goes, I can't seem to get esbit fuel right. It either burns out too quickly, or doesn't get hot enough to boil water or cook onions through. I'm guessing theres a trick with it i'm missing. It did a good enough job though, and my potatoes were lightly 'boiled' to the point of just turning soft, and the fat around the corned beef melted and let me fry the onions, mushrooms and beef. It tasted good, and thats the main thing, and i'm now pretty confident that if I come across a farm while i'm walking hadrians wall selling veg, I could get a few and make a half decent meal.

alvino78
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
its just practice practice practice pal, keep trying and learning plenty of vids on here and youtube to help. good luck and enjoy!

Silverback
01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
sounds like you had fun BG only 3 weeks to go till you meet up with us for another try too :)

Ehecatl
01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, with the kids packed off to the in-laws, a clear sky for a change, and a new mora clipper to try out, I went out in the garden.

First up, feathering sticks with the mora, so much easier than with the penknife or ancient folding knife I had been doing. Its a comfortable blade to hold and use, and just feel right. I'll admit that I was expecting it to feel flimsy and cheap given how much these cost.

Secondly, with some wood feathered, I decided to light my mKettle to get the wter for a brew. Normally, I use my firesteel onto some cotton wool in the mKettle's base and then surrond that with wood until its burning enough to use the feathered sticks, but I decided to try putting a smaller piece of cotton wool into a small bundle of hay (left over from my guinea pigs who died this weekend) and position that right next to the firesteel, like I've seen some of the guys on here do on the videos. Yup, that works wonderfully, so thats 2 skills I've used today that I learnt from NBC.

Thirdly, in all the talk of billy can meals and camp food, someone mentioned corned beef hash, and that just had to be made. And I thought chopping the potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and corned beef would be a good test of the mora's multi-functionality, and i'd get a chance to see if I can actually cook on esbit.

Given my eyesight problems, I cut my fingers fairly regularly when cooking, so have a fairly well stocked first aid kit in the kitchen. Its a good job as well, because the mora really doesn't take any prisoners and will go through potato and finger with equal ease... Of the 2 cuts I managed, one I didn't feel but bleed like there was no tomorrow, and one removed a small chunk of skin and flesh around a knuckle. Reason learnt... Never use the mora when I'm on my own, its just too sharp.

As far as the cooking goes, I can't seem to get esbit fuel right. It either burns out too quickly, or doesn't get hot enough to boil water or cook onions through. I'm guessing theres a trick with it i'm missing. It did a good enough job though, and my potatoes were lightly 'boiled' to the point of just turning soft, and the fat around the corned beef melted and let me fry the onions, mushrooms and beef. It tasted good, and thats the main thing, and i'm now pretty confident that if I come across a farm while i'm walking hadrians wall selling veg, I could get a few and make a half decent meal.

Hi Geek.

I read your post with interest since my brother is totally blind and his fingers also have about the same resistance as spuds when they meet a blade. It got me thinking, have you considered investing in a butcher's glove? Sure the full chain mail ones are expensive but there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butchers-Fishermans-Stainless-Knitted-MEDIUM/dp/B00AAUVG6C/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357063213&sr=1-2-catcorr).

I know it's a pain having to glove up each you need to use your knife but that must be preferable to not having fingers?

Anyway, thanks for the post and enjoy Hadrian's wall.

M@

Silverback
01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Hi Geek.

I read your post with interest since my brother is totally blind and his fingers also have about the same resistance as spuds when they meet a blade. It got me thinking, have you considered investing in a butcher's glove? Sure the full chain mail ones are expensive but there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butchers-Fishermans-Stainless-Knitted-MEDIUM/dp/B00AAUVG6C/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357063213&sr=1-2-catcorr).

I know it's a pain having to glove up each you need to use your knife but that must be preferable to not having fingers?

M@

Stunningly simple solution...well suggested Matt, and as someone who has used one I can vouch for the effectiveness of them

blindgeekuk
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
sounds like you had fun BG only 3 weeks to go till you meet up with us for another try too :)
I'm not coming to the jan meetup, it's my sons birthday that weekend. I fully intend to make it to one in march if you do one though.

blindgeekuk
01-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Geek.

M@
I actually have one kicking around the kitchen somewhere, got one when my vision first went from 2 images to 4 images and I did my white stick training. The main problem is seeing where I left it and remembering to put it on.

Silverback
01-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm not coming to the jan meetup, it's my sons birthday that weekend. I fully intend to make it to one in march if you do one though.

Oh...sure I had you down for Jan...never mind. Hoping March may be in a different, free and very private location

alvino78
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Oh...sure I had you down for Jan...never mind. Hoping March may be in a different, free and very private location
private sounds good lol

Silverback
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
private sounds good lol

100 acres private mixed broadleaved and coniferous forest......and all MINE !!! Just hope it comes off, fingers and toes crossed

beermaker
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Dont think my neighbours are too keen on my back garden exploits either, especially when we turned it all over to growing veg 3 years ago...that and when my lad and I are backyard plinking with his airgun

Sadly I went the other way - we want to sell our house so turned my beloved and very productive veg garden over to turf :( did get to take out my raised beds with a JCB and take the soil away with a huge Massey Ferguson! Perks of a farming family! Love back-garden bushcraft, can't beat going out to try out a new bit of tinder, make a cuppa with the kelly kettle or knock up some more char cloth! I'm lucky in that I live 10 mins walk from Johnts Wood by the side of the River Tees too so I can get out to play without too much effort.

Pee's my neighbours off no end too - they're always moaning about something or other, be it the dogs, the airgun, the veg garden, the tractor when we dug it out, the cctv or the regular fires! Don't let it bother me though - my family has lived in this house for four generations now! Feel a bit guilty for selling but with three kids we've outgrown the house now :(

Silverback
01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Well they got really annoyed when I brought home the ferrets........and the plans I have for this year will really set the cat among the pigeons...storage for 1000 L of water and a poly tunnel !! :evilgrin:

paulthefish2009
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Ha ha! I did hear a faint "oh no " when I sparked my fire up this afternoon! Paul

Silverback
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Ha ha! I did hear a faint "oh no " when I sparked my fire up this afternoon! Paul

I'm the least of my next doors worries... across the way from us over the back gardens are a couple who argue morning, noon and night, usually with the doors wide open and the language even makes me blush, 2 doors up from them is a kid who's in a band and plays the drums - yup you guessed it..

blindgeekuk
01-01-2013, 09:02 PM
100 acres private mixed broadleaved and coniferous forest......and all MINE !!! Just hope it comes off, fingers and toes crossed
Sounds intriguing... though knowing how much even a few acres goes for, I doubt you've bought it. Is it anything to do with the forestry commission funding for the Activating Forest Owners scheme to increase woodfuel supplies?

Silverback
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Sounds intriguing... though knowing how much even a few acres goes for, I doubt you've bought it. Is it anything to do with the forestry commission funding for the Activating Forest Owners scheme to increase woodfuel supplies?

Certainly haven't bought it and its nothing to do with the FC. Private landowner friend of a friend hass 100 acres of untouched / unmanaged woodland he doesn't know what to do with, friend suggested I be allowed to see if I can make use of it rent free for now

alvino78
01-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Certainly haven't bought it and its nothing to do with the FC. Private landowner friend of a friend hass 100 acres of untouched / unmanaged woodland he doesn't know what to do with, friend suggested I be allowed to see if I can make use of it rent free for now
nice find pal, with the joy of endless possibilities within working and relaxing!!! well done hope it comes off!!!T^

surplus 6
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi Geek.

M@
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cut-Resistant-Gloves-PAIR-Expensive/dp/B004IUDCI0
or
http://www.screwfix.com/p/keep-safe-cut-resistant-kevlar-gloves/56956?kpid=56956&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Safety%20and%20Workwear-_-Keep%20Safe%20Cut-Resistant%20Kevlar%20Gloves

just like to keep my hand in.....

I'll get my coat :ashamed:

beermaker
04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Well they got really annoyed when I brought home the ferrets........and the plans I have for this year will really set the cat among the pigeons...storage for 1000 L of water and a poly tunnel !! :evilgrin:

lol!!! I would love ferrets but my missus won't let me! Can't complain though, she lets me keep my 300 watt bass amp in the sitting room and she didn't mind when I sold my old BSA to buy a shiney new Weihrauch .22! She's not even complained when I put a firearms cabinet in the bedroom wardrobe with the intention of getting my shotgun license this year :D

beermaker
04-01-2013, 07:14 PM

I have some friends who may have a similar situation up Durham way (wrong side of the Tees but beggars can't be choosers!) Let us know how you get on Sapper, sounds like an interesting project!

Likantropo
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Hello, Ben.
I do that too. Not as often as I'd like to, though.

I practice some fire and knife skills, shooting some arrows, even setting up the tarp in my backyard, which is really small.
But while doing so I try to think I'm out there, somewhere, being one with nature, and I enjoy it so much!

Sometimes my sons join me too, so it's well worth it for us.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Elmer

Anyone else part take in 'garden bushcraft'..?

http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/garden-bushcraft.html

Cheers, Ben :)

Likantropo
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I was planning on testing some waxed cotton, alcohol stove, and paper pellets. I'll just do it in the garden.
Should I post photos?

Been making a couple of meths stoves this week. One beer can one and one from an aluminium bottle..Will be testing tomorrow in the garden.

beermaker
04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Always good to see pics of what others are doing! Just putting pics on photobucket of my char-cloth making the other night and cooking my dinner today on a hobo stove and a kelly kettle!

beermaker
04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
frying sausages for dinner today!

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o775/beer-maker/General%20Pics/IMG-20130104-00213_zps78a1ef06.jpg

boiling up for a brew

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o775/beer-maker/General%20Pics/IMG-20130104-00215_zps9da95d0a.jpg

and finally the view from my front garden across the Tees Valley as I dined!

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o775/beer-maker/General%20Pics/IMG-20130104-00214_zps47fdaaf8.jpg

steve1975
04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Im away from home at the moment. But tomorrow when i get home i have my new mora companion to have a play with. Need to try it out striking a firesteel. Think i may need to file the spine a little. Also got another beer can meths stove to test.

Likantropo
04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
It's friday afternoon here, so I get to go home an hour early.
I'll try to spot some wood on the way home, bring some and practice using my GBP 0.67 neck knife, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Do some feathersticks, shavings, scraping the ferro rod, light a fire.
I'm thinking a beer or two are in order too :innocent:...

Ehecatl
05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
frying sausages for dinner today!

Loving the "cutlery set". :happy-clapping:

M@

TheOutdoorist
05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Glad to see everyone else is getting out there even if it is in the garden. Sometimes it's just nice to be out of the house.

Been very busy recently so the garden is the furthest i've been able to venture.. Tested my tarp/bivy recently also a few stoves have been used and some wood prep to use my knives then sharpen them back up and back into storage.

Regards, Ben :)

Ehecatl
05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Just used my new fire steel and some fluff from the tumble drier to ignite my condifential waste paper in me garden incinerator. Now it's back to the decorating. :guns:

steve1975
06-01-2013, 03:15 PM
It's friday afternoon here, so I get to go home an hour early.
I'll try to spot some wood on the way home, bring some and practice using my GBP 0.67 neck knife, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Do some feathersticks, shavings, scraping the ferro rod, light a fire.
I'm thinking a beer or two are in order too :innocent:...

Just came in from a very enjoyable couple of hours in the garden with the kids. Used my new mora companion for the first time. Along with the ferro rod and some lint from the tumble dryer. The wife didn't seem to mind to much..The filter on the dryer has been cleared and i have got rid of a canny pile of dried hedge cuttings.

Chubbs
06-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Encouraged the boy to cook his lunch in the garden today. This time we used the Crusader mug and base cooker along with the homemade meths burner with fire rope inside. Packet noodles for two it was !!.

beermaker
06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Can't beat packet noodles :) asda smart price noodles are rather splendid, particularly the chicken ones, and they're loads cheaper than super noodles!

beermaker
14-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Had to indulge in some garden bushcraft the other night - came home and found myself locked out! Luckily had some fatwood, knife and a fire steel on me so raided the recycling box for an empty can, cut the top off and punched holes in the base, scavenged some wood from an old chair and got a nice fire going until the missus came home! :)

AdrianRose
17-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Had to indulge in some garden bushcraft the other night - came home and found myself locked out! Luckily had some fatwood, knife and a fire steel on me so raided the recycling box for an empty can, cut the top off and punched holes in the base, scavenged some wood from an old chair and got a nice fire going until the missus came home! :)

Looks like you're gonna have to change your name from Beermaker to Beer Grylls mate!

Lol

Excellent bit of thinking on your feet pal. I would have just sat there and calling my missus all the names under the sun for locking me out.

Ade