PDA

View Full Version : Search and Rescue

Jon Mac
10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I recently posted a blog detailing the kit one of my old friends carries when he is called out to search for missing persons. You'll find it here... http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.com/2011/01/keiths-rescue-kit.html ...Enjoy...J

Fletching
10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Good stuff Jon. I'm surprised I didn't see an emergency (reflective) blanket in the kit, but if your carrying a sleeping bag, bivvi bag and bothy, I don't suppose you need one.

Steve

Jon Mac
10-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok Steve. Don't quote me on this. I haven't been in the team for some years now. I don't think the reflective blankets are much cop when dealing with some one who may be suffering hypothermia. And in my time with the team (seven years) I cant ever remember using one. However, the team are issued blizzard bags which are much more affective....I'll try and find a link...http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag ...Here you go. I think these are they. Next time I see Keith I'll pick his brains. Thanks for commenting Steve, and don't forget to 'LIKE' their page...All the best...J

Fletching
10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Ooh, they're not cheap are they? I expect they're worth the money though. Darn it! That's something else I've got to buy now. ;)

I carry tan emergency blanket primarily to use as a heat reflector under my Exped mat. Can also use it to collect water etc, etc, etc...

Steve

Jon Mac
10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Ahhh ! Cool, Yes I can see that being a good idea. I didn't look at the price of the bags, I think the team get a discount or perhaps they are donated. I would have included this piece of equipment in the blog, but Keith didn't have his with him. He has slept in it comfortably quite a few times he tells me. I think I will stick to a sleeping bag, although I have found poncho liners (mine is German) a very good and useful piece of equipment. It can be hung under your hammock, keeps your back warm and snug.... Must go..Got supper to prepare...Curry tonight...All the best and I'm glad you found the blog interesting...J

hoppinmad
13-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I carry a blizard bag, and recently on a first aid course had the oppertunity to try one out..and was impressed how on warm the actually were
regards
Stu

Jon Mac
14-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi Stu. Small light and crinkly...Where did you have your course ? Did you enjoy it ?...J

hoppinmad
14-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Jon,
I did the wilderness first aid, followed by remote care with a company called OUTDOOR EMERGENCY CARE who run courses in Alfriston sussex [a good area to collect flint]
I found these courses more relavent to outdoor activities than the standard first aid for work, the majority of the course is run outdoors, and gives the opportunity to use and try equipment that you might carry over the moors or mountains etc..as well as improvised stretchers and working with mountain rescue. I have done part of a walk group leader and found this first aid course very usefull in terms of extended care of casualties in the mountains, as well as using some of the first aid kit mountain rescue teams may carry
I would recommend this type of course to anyone
Regards
Stu

Fletching
14-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Hi Stu,

I'm really inspired by your recommendation.

If this is the same people: http://www.outdooremergencycare.com/ then I'm going to get in touch when I'm up and at it again as my own first aid training's about five years old now (and indoors).

Thanks for the heads-up!

Steve

hoppinmad
14-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi Steve,
Yes it is the same company, and the courses they run are excellent IMHO..I would recommend them to anyone, and you can progress to some of the advanced first aid courses
They are also resonable priced compared to some remote/wilderness first aid courses, I was prepared to travel from South Wales to attend two of there courses
Regards
Stu
PS They also run courses at Holland Park London

Fletching
14-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm on it. Thanks Stu!

Jon Mac
15-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks both for some good information. I will add this page to my favorites for future reference...All the best...J

mahikan
15-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Noticed a mention about reflective aluminium like blankets.
They work by reflecting heat which is great when you use them in the back of a lean to or other type of shelter with a fire in front of it, using the inverse distance theory of heat transferral where your bed should be one pace away from the fire (fire should be the length of the body)
However to work effectively on a human as a wrap they have to be placed extremely close to the human body to prevent heat loss by reflecting residual body heat back to the user. This distance is so close that the physics of the matter result in the person using the blanket losing heat at a greater rate through conduction.
On the 10 and 4 day Wilderness First Aid courses I teach here I have proven this fact over and over again.
That is why most SAR groups carry other design's of blanket or bag for keeping a casualty warm

Jon Mac
16-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Sounds about right...Thanks Mahikan...J

Marvell
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
In the RNLI, we don't carry reflective blankets either. We carry orange survival bags, balaclava, gloves and a much thicker bag. When I was on a training day with Exmoor SAR, they were showing us their kit. They use the really compressed bubble wrap type bags. I think they termed them "emergency sleeping bags".

Jon Mac
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Or perhaps 'Blizzard bags' ...I have not been in the team for seven or eight years so I am out of touch to be honest.... Next time you want to train with a S.A.R Team...Try my old mates at http://www.facebook.com/?tid=1266666283560&sk=messages#!/pages/Dartmoor-Search-and-Rescue-Team-Ashburton/249961447544 They would love to hear from you. All the best and keep up the good work...J

Marvell
03-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Cool, I met a few of them when I did a little Ten Tors training.

Update: No I didn't, they are the SE lot, I met the North lot.

Martin
03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for posting this Jon. As someone who is assisting youngsters with Ten Tors training this year, it's helped me to make sure I have the 'essentials' in my pack and given me a few pointers as to what I can improve on. The Blizzard Bag is on order. As I get older, I get more interested in lightweight gear and this has helped a lot.

Martin

Marvell
03-02-2011, 08:49 PM
As I get older, I get more interested in lightweight gear ...

Martin's account has been hijacked!

Martin
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Martin's account has been hijacked!

lmao!!! No, just another opportunity to buy more, newer, shinier but lighter kit. I had almost run out of ways to part with my hard earned before I discovered the lightweight philosophy. ;)

Martin

Marvell
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm using a RAB down bag, a RAB silk liner and a RAB Storm bivi. They are small, light, expensive and shiny :)

Martin
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Got myself a very light (not very warm) down bag which I use with a silk liner and more clothes if it gets too cold. Having said that, I'm glad I was using my heavy weight Snugpak Elite 4 bag in -5C last weekend.

Can't be doing with a bivi bag (I still like my space) but I have got a Terra Nova Laser Tent, max weight 1.2Kg, that I intend to use fly only when the weather warms up which will bring it down to less than 1Kg which will be equivalent weight to a bivi bag. Also use a Thermarest Neo Air sleep mat which is not only very lightweight but packs up to the size of a 1 litre drinks bottle and is sooooo comfortable. :)

Lightweight is the way forward.

Martin

Marvell
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
RSB is under 500g :p

Martin
03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
RSB is under 500g :p

I'll have to weigh the Laser fly, pole and pegs sometime. Can't think it will be more than 800g though and lots more space for me and my lightweight kit. :)

Martin

Marvell
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I'll have to weigh the Laser fly, pole and pegs sometime. Can't think it will be more than 800g though and lots more space for me and my lightweight kit. :)

Pegs are for pussies ;)

I think you've got me though, cos I still have to add my tarp (DD3x3) weight on top!

I wouldn't mind having a look at that Neo when we next meet up.

Fletching
10-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok Steve. Don't quote me on this. I haven't been in the team for some years now. I don't think the reflective blankets are much cop when dealing with some one who may be suffering hypothermia. And in my time with the team (seven years) I cant ever remember using one. However, the team are issued blizzard bags which are much more affective....I'll try and find a link...http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag ...Here you go. I think these are they. Next time I see Keith I'll pick his brains. Thanks for commenting Steve, and don't forget to 'LIKE' their page...All the best...J

Got the Blizzard Bag now. Cheers for the tip Jon!

Steve

Jon Mac
10-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Good oh ! Once you have test sleeped in it, give us a report...All the best...J

Martin
10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Got the Blizzard Bag now. Cheers for the tip Jon!

Steve

:D So have I. Got mine end of last week. I'm not planning on opening it though. It will stay in the bottom of my rucksack purely for emergency use.

Martin

Fletching
10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
:D So have I. Got mine end of last week. I'm not planning on opening it though. It will stay in the bottom of my rucksack purely for emergency use.

Martin

I'm going to play with mine - I have a vacuum packer!!! :)

Martin
10-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm going to play with mine - I have a vacuum packer!!! :)

Good luck with that. :)

Martin