PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Dartmoor

IBrown
10-01-2011, 04:26 PM
My wife has decided for my birthday in July we would go camping on Dartmoor for a couple of days. We decided that our first night would be at Lower Hartor Tor area. We want to walk/stroll about 4 to 6 miles a day..

I have a few questions:
Can anyone tell me a safe place to park the car for a couple of days,
Somewhere to stay within 6 miles of Lower Hartor Tor then back to the car.

As you can guess we are new to wild camping but enjoy camping, if that makes any sense.

The plan is to spend 4 nights in Devon. First and last night at campsite and the other 2 on dartmoor..

Thanks for any advice
Ian

swkieran
10-01-2011, 04:59 PM
theres a few car parks opposite haytor,but no where is really safe up there to park youre car really as you get alot of orpurtinist traveling thieves,so my advice would be to use common sense when leaving a veihcle anywhere on the moor remove faceplate from stereo dont leave anything valueable i.e sat navs etc on display.these types of crime are very rare but do occur,as for camping theres a wacking great big forest opposite haytor.Also not very far is a big shopping centre called trago mills which sells camping equipment and a whole lot more which is great if you did need anything extra.other than that i hope you enjoy youre stay and a beutiful corner of england all the best kieran

Martin
11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
I would have to agree with Kieran on this. Parking on Dartmoor is going to be tricky and cannot, in any way, be considered without risk. There are better options, one of which would be to park in Princetown and walk from there. Maybe spend a night at the Plume of Feathers (they have a campsite out back) and then walk from there the next morning. Lower Hartor Tor would be in 'easy' walking distance from there in July.

Let us know how you get on.

Martin

Skate
11-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I would risk parking overnight near the scout hut to the East of Sheepstor. May be a bit close to your destination though. Anywhere around Burrator reservior would be too risky as it is very busy.

IBrown
11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
We are members of the Caravan and Camping Club so we could stay at a club site and leave our car their and walk onto dartmoor for a couple of nights. Using the site as a base and a safe place to leave the car. It maybe a waste of money for the 2 nights we are not at the campsite but at least my car will be safe. I know there is a club site at Higher Longford, Moorshop, on the west side of Dartmoor. As I have a new car the last thing i want is it nicked.

swkieran
11-01-2011, 12:50 PM
like i said those type of crimes are rare and few and far between,but do happen not by people who have a liking for the moors as most people are decent still thank god,but im local and wouldnt leave my car in a remote car park up there specially overnight lol,martin has the right idea tbh and hes got more experiance of staying up on the moor than i have,but dont let crime or the fear of crime spoil a chance to see a very beutiful part of england :)