PDA

View Full Version : Peter storm clothing. Any Good?

steve1975
28-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Looking to buy a new 3 in 1 jacket. I have a budget of £60-70. Seen this one by peter storm and am going to call into the millets store tomorrow in the metro centre. Is the jacket any Good.

http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/04316265-peter-storm-mens-angus-ii-elite-3-in-1-jacket.html

jus_young
28-12-2012, 10:41 PM
The 3 in 1 jackets really are a compromise.

When I was younger and somewhat less informed than I am now, :ashamed: I used to buy these jackets thinking that they were an ideal solution to the 'wet weather and insulation' requirements of outdoor wear but these days I frown upon them as a total waste of time. I hate to think of how much money I wasted on these things and I wouldn't even contemplate buying them for my kids to grow out of too quickly.

They may be ok for the occasional weekend walker but for anyone spending a bit more 'serious' time outdoors you are better spending your entire budget on a better weatherproof/windproof outer garment and take an additional long sleeved top from the wardrobe for the warmth when needed. It will be a lot more versatile, serve you better and keep you dryer as well as warmer.

Sorry to put a downer on things but I would not waste the money.

Edit Have a look in here

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/clothing/coats-and-jackets/waterproof/sort/2

In the price range you are looking at, you have the choice of brands such as Montane, Berghaus, North Face, Marmot and even some of the Rab gear. It would be money better spent and well invested. Other stores have their sales on now so the choice is yours!

Did I say 'better' enough? Time for bed me thinks!

Silverback
28-12-2012, 11:36 PM
They may be ok for the occasional weekend walker but for anyone spending a bit more 'serious' time outdoors you are better spending your entire budget on a better weatherproof/windproof outer garment and take an additional long sleeved top from the wardrobe for the warmth when needed. [/I]

Agreed 100%

steve1975
29-12-2012, 06:58 AM
My use for the jacket is day to day and trips into town with the family. Have owned similar regatta jackets in the past and found them ideal for theses needs. I understand what you say about a dedicated waterproof and mid layers for serious outdoors. Just wanted to know if these were ok. Was close to getting a similar karrimor one from sports direct but read some really bad reviews about them leaking like a teabag.

Humakt
29-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I have a Peter Storm 3-in-1 jacket.
One of these:
http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/04316485-peter-storm-mens-peak-3-in-1-jacket.html

It's the one I'm wearing in my avatar.

I think it's great. I have no complaints at all. I like the 3-in-1 nature, although I tend to take the fleece out and wear the fleece separately. I've worn it in the rain several times now and it's not let anything through. I would happily buy one again. Peter Storm is not a high-end brand, somewhat in the middle (I always think they're on a level with Regatta, Karrimor, Berghaus and that kind of thing), so you can't expect it to see you to the top of Everest but then, judging by your own needs and criteria, you don't seem to be after a 'high performance' item so this should do you fine.
They get the thumbs up from me.

steve1975
29-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Well i have purchased the jacket today. Nice fit seems reasonable quality for the price . Also can use my existing regatta fleece in it. Will post a review once I've used it for a new weeks. Thanks for the feedback..