PDA

View Full Version : Winter bushcraft course

jacko1066
30-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi guys,

Just thought I would tell that I have booked a course with wildwood bushcraft on winter bushcraft skills on the 25th January.

http://www.wildwoodbushcraft.com/courses/bushcraft/winter_bushcraft_course.htm

It covers things on -

Cold injuries - managing the risks

Winter clothing and sleeping systems

Winter shelters and long log fires

Tree identification using buds, tree shapes and colours

Fire lighting in the wet, cold and snowy conditions, using sparks and friction

Game preparation (fish or mammals depending on availability)

Animal trapping

Natural navigation

Plant and fungal foods in winter

Iv never been on a bushcraft course before, next march I'm off wild camping to Estonia with a couple of friends so I'm hoping that this will help me gain Some valuable experience of cold weather camping and the various skill sets needed for extreme cold weather.

It's also gonna give me a chance to use my new hammock and tarp and under blanket that Santa bought me so I'm really looking forward to it.

If anyone else is interested give the instructor Leon a call, I spoke to him before I booked it an he seems a very nice guy indeed.

Anyone else been on a course with these guys?

Hopefully I can get some piccys and post them up afterwards!!

Excited is an understatement lol

Cheers
Steve

alvino78
30-12-2012, 05:20 PM
sounds great hope you gain alot of knowledge from it, and make here and youtube your new home for info!!T^

Tigger004
30-12-2012, 06:17 PM
keep us updated, estonia sounds exciting...think you will need some cold weather prep work...phew

luresalive
30-12-2012, 08:40 PM
That sounds like a great course, would love to hear all about it when you get back.

susannewilliams
31-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Exciting!!! Stories please....

jacko1066
31-12-2012, 08:50 AM
keep us updated, estonia sounds exciting...think you will need some cold weather prep work...phew

I'm hoping I will be able to absorb as much about the important things to do in cold weather on this course.
I'm also hoping to get at least 2 trips out in feb too to give me a bit more experience!!
Iv camped in minus 6-8 before and was freezing but still slept and that was before my additions of proper kit like a synmat etc.

Minus 22 last week in estonia!!

Cheers
Steve

bkemeny
15-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Sir, you've just given me a brilliant idea, thanks! *Starts planning his summer wild camping trip to Estonia*

jacko1066
17-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Estonia looks amazing mate!!
There are 3 of us going, flights were £80 return which is cheaper than I can get to a Scotland.

Raven
18-01-2013, 06:47 AM
sounds great Steve, good luck with the course, i'd be interested in how it goes. Estonia sounds brilliant to, lots of pictures please mate!!

Realearner
18-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Looks like it might be real winter conditions for you, what luck :happy-clapping:

jacko1066
18-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Cheers fellas!!

Yeah I'm hoping to get a fair amount if pictures of both tbh.

The weather at the mo is perfect for some professional instruction on the sorts of problems I may come across in Estonia. The weather over there in march could go down as low as minus 15.

I'm now starting to wish I was taking a hot tent rather than a hammock but we have bail out options, and 1 if the lads is taking a shangri la 5 with a ti stove so he is a viable back up plan too

rawfish111
18-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Very jealous!! Look forward to hearing all