PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right trousers for me

HarryLFH
30-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Hellow again friends bushcrafters and friends who love nature,

I need help for choosing the right trousers.

First of all I will explain the way I am thinking right now. To correct me if my logic is wrong.

I heard the best cloathing system for outdoors is the base layers - fleece(or a warm thing in general) - waterproof.

As far I am concerned I bought the base layers. Top and bottom one.

I also have a fleece and a water proof on the top. My waterproof is a bit dogie so I will buy some garbage bags/waterproof poncho to improve its effect.

But as far as I am concerned I dont know what trousers I should buy. I am not willing to spend much either. On tops I will be going for 30 quid for trousers and I want it to be able to be used during summer and during winter too.

I dont want to buy those ski trousers because they will be useless in the end of the day.

Btw I am living in Scotland so I want something for the rainy weather here.

I understand that I get what I pay for. But 30 quid is not nothing. Also after that trouser, should I add a waterproof trouser on the top ? because I found a top and bottom waterproof for 25 pounds.

Tigger004
30-12-2012, 11:21 PM
I quite like craig hoppers with the zip off bottoms, They are resonably cheap, they dry quickly (unlike jeans) and if it's nice you've got 3/4 length shorts aswell,
cheap packable nylon over trousers aren't bad on top but have their limitations with comfort and sweat, I often use a longish poncho and gaiters (works for me) even covers my pack, looks nerdish though.

Hope this is of use

HarryLFH
30-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Ofc it will be a bit uncomfortable with a nulon trousers but I am not willing to spend 400 pounds for gore tex. When I get a decent job, I will think about it :)

Silverback
30-12-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?client=opera&q=berghaus+overtrousers&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15131074433039403890&sa=X&ei=ad7gUIKlBMqT0QXU14HADQ&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAg

You could wear tracksuit bottoms or a cheap walking trouser NOT JEANS under these..its what I do unless its really cold. I've had a pair for 7 years now and they are still going strong, worn summer and winter, in scotland, wales and england... I know several others who have them and they like them too

John_McC
31-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Try checking out your local army surplus for German (flecktarn) bib and brace goretex trousers, I got a pair for £15 unissued ! then you can wear what you like and only use them in the rain.

Peaks
31-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Have a look at these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190490373560?var=490015509148&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&clk_rvr_id=384619915855&afsrc=1

cuppa joe
31-12-2012, 09:41 PM
M&S Stormwear trousers off ebay...very water repellent zip off legs for summer breathable and cheap as chips...just keep an eye out for them.

jus_young
31-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Dickies work wear trousers. Been wearing them for years and are ideal - hard wearing, quick drying, roomy, loads of pockets and you can put knee pads between the two layers of material on the knees stopping you from getting damp when undertaking bushcraft activities ;)