PDA

View Full Version : Sheath for remains of a Smith & Wesson Khukhri

Likantropo
05-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello again!

Maybe you have heard about the quality of these blades. I found two of them at a local store here, so I got them. One for me, one for my first son.
We used them on several outings, processed wood, used them to cut coconuts open, used them like there was no tomorrow. But my son's blade broke in two. Of course. It's not a proper steel for this size of blade, bla bla bla.

We were lucky that nobody got hurt when it broke while chopping some oak wood.
Here's a photo of mine and my son's:

We thought that we could still use the steel for something. We looked at the blade's shape and decided that we would make a new knife from the broken part.
So we used a saw to cut part of the blade to the desired shape (it took us about two hours :mad:) but we finally cut it, then used a file to smooth the straight edges, and then wrapped some strong cotton/poly cord to be the handle, and recently added a shoe leather sheath.

This blade is usable, edge is still good, and in fact we think if we add a good material handle it could make a chopping knife of sorts. It grips nicely as it is. It should be much better with a proper handle.

Thanks for observing our learning curve! ;)
Best wishes to all!

Elmer

JonnyP
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I am not surprised that it broke while cutting oak. Blade that shape int meant to chop oak me thinks. I like what you did with the broken bit though..

David_JAFO
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
hello,
Oops! I agree as JonnyP has said. The Khukhri blade is a work horse granted,
but certainly not for chopping hard wood. Check online how to use the
Khukhri as there should be some instructions in how to use such alike to
any tool such as an Axe.
I received my Khukhri many years ago with instructions on how to use such
before even drawing it from it's sheath :wink:
Like the recycled blade very much, smart thinking.
Regards
David
T^

I am not surprised that it broke while cutting oak.
Blade that shape int meant to chop oak me thinks.
I like what you did with the broken bit though..

Likantropo
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
You're absolutely right, Jonny.
This is what happens when you use a blade for something that it's not meant to do.
This one is good for other chores. In fact it was designed to stab and cut flesh. Could be used for other things if it was a thicker balde, or designed differently.
I let my son do it so he could see what I meant. Now he learned. And that's why my khukhri is still one piece.

I remember someone on YT insulted me once. He posted a video of his "tactical bayonet" or some blade of that sort breaking while he was trying to chop hard, thick wood. When I pointed out that these blades are made for combat, not wood chopping, he went off, insulted me, banned me, etc. What a bushcrafter!

Axes are made for chopping/splitting. If you have a good bushcraft knife you can use it for that, probably with aid of a baton, but only for wood of small proportions, to get small kindling. For harder, more demanding wood processing there are saws and axes.

Thanks for your response, man. Happy New Year! All the best to you and family.

Elmer

JonnyP
05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
You're absolutely right, Jonny.
This is what happens when you use a blade for something that it's not meant to do.
This one is good for other chores. In fact it was designed to stab and cut flesh. Could be used for other things if it was a thicker balde, or designed differently.
I let my son do it so he could see what I meant. Now he learned. And that's why my khukhri is still one piece.

I remember someone on YT insulted me once. He posted a video of his "tactical bayonet" or some blade of that sort breaking while he was trying to chop hard, thick wood. When I pointed out that these blades are made for combat, not wood chopping, he went off, insulted me, banned me, etc. What a bushcrafter!

Axes are made for chopping/splitting. If you have a good bushcraft knife you can use it for that, probably with aid of a baton, but only for wood of small proportions, to get small kindling. For harder, more demanding wood processing there are saws and axes.

Thanks for your response, man. Happy New Year! All the best to you and family.

Elmer

You too chap :0)

Metal mug
06-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Good ol' open-minded youtube. :rolleyes: Like the recycling job you did with the blade.

BJ
06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Good use of the broken blade, it looks like a useful knife. T^
BJ