PDA

View Full Version : Never thought of it.... moving pad/furniture pad as insulation/blanket...

CanadianMike
18-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Right out of high school I worked for a moving company for about 8 months, so am well familiar with these things, big, heavy, lots of dense padding, lots of stitching in WWWWWWWW waves, never thought much past moving with them.

Then I came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh6xGGjW5R8&NR=1 just now (almost done watching), point is past the cheesiness of some of it, but what I initially thought was a Ranger Blanket (army poncho liner), turns out to be a camo moving blanket used to cover TVs, wood furniture, protect floors, etc. and this guy uses one to line not only under his sleeping platform, but also under the tarp.

Past that, point being, I found a local place to buy, $14.99 each, so I'm going to get two tomorrow for camping (under sleeping pad comes to mind), general use, etc. Typically these things are 72"x80", so quite large, and heavier than a wool blanket, so not for lightweight camping, but car camping and emergency car kit goes, sounds like a perfect investment, especially for the price!

jus_young
18-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Cheese is about right. Like the idea on the blankets but other than that I can't really see what the point of his setup really is. Something about extreme weather and staying dry (?) but with the tarp that way he is likely to end up sleeping in a pool of water!

BJ
18-01-2013, 09:50 AM
" I found a local place to buy, $14.99 each, so I'm going to get two tomorrow for camping (under sleeping pad comes to mind), general use, etc. Typically these things are 72"x80", so quite large, and heavier than a wool blanket, so not for lightweight camping, but car camping and emergency car kit goes, sounds like a perfect investment, especially for the price!" T^
looks good, would make a good under-quilt for a hammock

AL...
18-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Oh boy I was losin the will to live there!!
Good Idea about the blanket though!

Cheers
AL

CanadianMike
18-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Ya, the Mykal Hawk look was annoying, and painful to watch til the end, but only reason I made it through was to see about how he uses the blanket. I paused it as soon as I found out it's a moving blanket, and went searching. Lol

AL...
18-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Now why dident I do that?
lol

Cheers
AL

CanadianMike
18-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Lol!

Picked on up this morning, heavy, dense, rugged............ will play around with it this weekend, see about putting grommets in it at some point, buy a couple more......

biker-bri
19-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I bought some a while back just never got around to doing anything with them, thought about making a blanket poncho with one but would really
need an ex army real wool blanket for that. Anyway linky thingy http://www.removalsblankets.co.uk/
Cheers Bri

CanadianMike
19-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Be interested to see one of those. Mine (which I slept under last night to check it out, not bad) is the usual polyester material on both sides with edging sewn on.

biker-bri
19-01-2013, 08:56 PM
6629 patten for poncho - anorak type thing made from ex army wool blanket, link to article found on British Blades forum
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/content.php?76-Wool-blanket-anorak
Looks nice n warm although I think I would smile a little more than he does.
Cheers Bri

AL...
19-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Thats well cool If I could use a needle I would give one of those a try!

Cheers
AL