PDA

View Full Version : ridgeline coats

Hillbilly
23-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi all does anyone have any experiance with the above make. I am quite keen on the monsoon 2 jacket the style and extra length would be ideal. The cost is a bit offputting and im not sure of the sizes as im six foot five tall quite long arms,so any advice before i take the plunge would be aprieciated.

Many thanks Richard.

AdrianRose
23-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi buddy
I have the Ridgeline Monsoon II jacket. Whilst it is a great jacket in winter and VERY warm, it does have quite a few draw backs.

Chief among them is just how waterproof it is. Rain will NEVER get through and therein lays its major flaw. Equally, moisture cannot escape. If you walk a long distance or have a rucksack on then you WILL get a very sweaty back indeed.

The only way around this is to wear a fleece or similar underneath to help absorb any moisture/sweat.

I am doing a video review on this jacket following a few requests that I've had.

I also own a buffalo Special 6 Pertex smock jacket and it is far superior in my honest opinion.

Ade

Adam Savage
23-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I have a Ridgeline Monsoon Euro II as well. Found it's the best jacket I've ever purchased. Warm and fully waterproof, plus it's quiet for stalking/tracking/spotting.
True it'll make you sweat if you walk long distance with kit, but they're not designed for that. They're perfect for sitting round the camp, or a quick wander through the woods with a pair of bins.
In cool weather, wear a base layer, a mid layer, and the jacket as the top. In really cold weather, wear a base layer, a mid layer, another top layer (like a fleece jacket) and then the Ridgeline on top :)